Calling NW Oregonians

by wasasister 26 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Craig, Katie, Seven006, Bisous and all others in the greater Portland area...

Hope you are snug in your homes, sipping the beverage of your choice, and enjoying non-stop news coverage of the ice storm. (Won't be long until each local news channel has an "Ice Event Theme Song")

Stay safe!

Wasa...warm and dry here

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, it's nice and warm here! LOL

Got about 1/4" of freezing rain, but here in Hillsboro, prob not much more today...Gresham and Troutdale are gonna get hammered hard.

Thank the gods that we don't live in Scotland.

Craigster

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Thanks Wasa for the warm wishes! I've got homemade chicken soup on and the heaters blazing.....it's sooo cold! Staying safe snuggled at home, won't go out on those roads.

Wish you were here to share some soup, it's really good!

ugg about the non stop local news.......thank dog for Satelite! Woooohoooo!

• wasasister
    wasasister

We had some ice pellets here earlier, but it's too warm now to do much damage.

I was passing through Portland in the 80's when I encounted a true "ice event" and it was pretty bad. We holed up in a sleazy motel and waited it out. The Gorge was impassable at the time. It's the only time I've seen Multnomah Falls completely frozen.

When conditions are right (as they were this morning) it's amazing, scary, and a thing of wonder.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I can't believe I had to come into work today. I work at McMenamin's Ringlers/Crystal Ballroom. I live in Vancouver. My truck spun about 480 degrees and rammed into the guardrail on I-5 on the way in. It's nice to know that McMenamin's cares so much about their employee's safety. "We Never Close" is their motto. With such callous disregard for people's welfare, it makes me wonder if Mike & Brian McMenamin are really in cahouts with the WBTS.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Welcome Low-Key!

It was nice chatting with you tonight, bummer about the job I think I would have called in and told them it was too dangerous to drive there.

Did they even have many people in the restaurant tonight? I wouldn't think so most everyone is home, off the roads and being safe.

Anyway check out the MeetUps.com site for the local times/places you'll meet a lot of x-JW's from Portland there.

Kate

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Thanks for the info, bikerchic. I was pretty much told I had to be there or else. (I'm the manager.) I called my boss and told him I thought it was a bad idea to stay open. No love. What happens at the meet-up gatherings? Have you ever gone to one?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh the manager well of course you had to be there, LOL.

The MeetUps are pretty laid back just a group of people with a common interest/bond. It has been good for many of us to meet other X-JW's to socialize with who understand, we are a weird lot ya know.

Anyway yes I've been to lots and have met lots of wonderful people there, some from this forum some just from the local area. They are usually held the first Saturday of every month at 5pm and it seems like the last few have been at McMinamin's on 23rd (the one at the end of 23rd).

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

McMenamins, huh? Go figure. Maybe we can all meet at my pub sometime.(McMenamins RInglers) 1332 NW Burnside.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Tis OK wasasister,

Thanks for your concern but I'm warm here too.. but we did have a big hailstorm here t'other day (quickly gathered some up to cool my diet coke. Why does coke explode into a zillion bubbles when poured over hail?.. Is it the sugar or some weird southern hemispherical anomaly?)

It's summer storm season here. This morning I was boomed Awake! by the biggest thunderclap I've ever heard!! .. but apart from that the weather's fine.

It's fascinating to read about your wild weather events. (all the australian forcasts ever say is that things are fine .. fine .. fine ..fine with rain .. fine & sunny .. fine with clouds .. stormy then fine ..

ears ringing, unclebruce

ps: (haven't been able to access my new email to write)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit