Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

all this is part of the fulfillment of prophecy ya know.. the one where someday the " doors will be closed". someone prop a chair under their doorknob and keep their door closed k?

• Valis
    Valis
    If you go to quotes.watchtower.ca and click on Favorites in your browser and select the Make Available Offline option, you can archive the entire site on your own computer.

Yes, but to do this right you need to click on Customise and set it to go the Mas 3 pages Deep. That way in picks up the other pages that are adjoined to quote's opening page. Hope this helps..

BTW Quotes, let me know if I can help in any way.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You can also archive the whole site for your own personal use if you use Adobe Acrobat (full version) and you select "Open Web Site" and click the button for "Get Entire Site". It should follow the on-site links and create a PDF file of the site.

Adding commentary to the site however would go against Quotes's stated purpose as a "neutral research tool": "If you are looking for criticism, critique, or editorial commentary regarding Jehovah's Witnesses, you have come to the wrong place. On the other hand, if you want to read the Society's own words, as provided by their publications, so you can study and research on your own without bias, then you have come to the right place."

• bebu
    bebu

The WTS wants Quotes to make a stand as being critical, so the site can be labeled "apostate".

Well, there are creative ways of being critical... (Satire is an example; there are others...)

bebu

news reporting
    Here is another example of what is NOT an infringement. Very interesting!
  • ignored_one
    ignored_one

http://creativecommons.org/

They might be interested.

-

Ignored One.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

The best defense is a good offense. I agree with those that suggest to go to the media. The whole thing could blow up in their faces that way. Get all those websites together who have been threatened by the WTBTS lawyers (or at least those that only quote their own statements) and join together.

I would LOVE to see that program:

"Hi, I'm Stone Phillips. Many of us are aware of the organization called Jehovah's Witnesses. For 125 years they have been spreading their message from door to door about mankind's future. They profess to be a direct channel from God and have fought battle after battle in our legal system to protect their rights of freedom of speech and religion.

"We are going to learn tonight about how they are now entering into a new battle to try to prevent people from sharing that exact same message that they have fought so hard to share with the rest of the world. Does that sound hypocritical?

"Well, we'll hear from both sides so that we can better understand what's going on."

(And we all know they are so freaking delusional that they will still believe that the very statements, that will condemn them further in the world's eyes, are still correct.... but it will be nice to see them exposed a little more for being the piece of sh*t hypocrites that they are.)

Brad

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown
    The WTS wants Quotes to make a stand as being critical, so the site can be labeled "apostate".

Good point, bebu. I never thought about that angle. Mostly because I care about preventing people from ever becoming a JW more than I do for the people that are in the bOrg.

Brad

• kls
    kls

Outbutnotdown that was great i can just see it . YES!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I&P:

any person who knowingly materially misrepresents... that material or activity is infringing

I think you misunderstood what Quotes quoted earlier from the DMCA. Anyone who knowingly materially misrepresents that {material or activity is infringing} is liable. So if the WT makes a big hubbub where no hubbub is due (because no actual copyright infringement has taken place), then they are liable for damages. I agree that the wording here could have been a little more clear.

Quotes:

What is the approximate size of your site?

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Also just wanted to say that I think hosting in countries such as China, Indonesia, etc. might be a good option. Such countries are likely not to give a damn if they get a letter from the WT.

Watchtower monitors: We're living in a new era. Information cannot - will not - be suppressed.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit