Jimmy Carter Said IT Again!

by Swan 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Swan
    Swan

Today on the news I heard Jimmy Carter use the phrase that so many other world leaders have said for so many years. He was speaking of the election of the new leadership in Palestine and happened to mention those three words.

It's the three words that every JW goes Chicken Little over. No matter how many times some world leader says those three words, or how many times in the last several decades they have said it, or how many times nothing happened after it was said, the JWs believe the end is imminent! Every time it was heard in my family it became a big deal... a really big deal! I imagine that the JWs will be telling each other about it, and speculating that the end is finally near, especially so soon after a major earthquake.

The three words...

"peace and security"

Tammy

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Jimmy threw the JW world into a tizzy back around 1979, when he mediated what he called the "peace and security" pact between Egypt and Israel. I remember it very well, because they interrupted Battlestar Galactica to show the signing of the treaty. I would have been pretty pissed off if it had been for anything other than the harbinger or Armageddon itself.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Yeah, wasn't 1986 the International Year of Peace and Security? Blah Blah Blah... so what....

good point

u/d

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I heard many comments like this from all sorts of non-jw's. Many faiths also believe that the world we now live is going to drastically change by Gods hand. However that might be.

• Swan
    Swan

Thanks Runningman!

Jimmy threw the JW world into a tizzy back around 1979, when he mediated what he called the "peace and security" pact between Egypt and Israel. I remember it very well, because they interrupted Battlestar Galactica to show the signing of the treaty. I would have been pretty pissed off if it had been for anything other than the harbinger or Armageddon itself.

I was pretty sure he had said this one before, but couldn't remember exactly when or under what circumstances. Of course, to the JWs, sudden destruction was to be instantly upon the world, which, of course meant the definition of "instantly" where at least 25 years elapses.

I know it has been used by others too. I seem to recall even Ronald Reagan used the same phrase.

Tammy

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Yes, and I seem to remember George Bush using it too. Turns out, peace and security are popular concepts to most of humanity. That means they'll be concepts that find their way into a lot of politicians' speeches.

Just for kicks, wouldn't it be fun to start a cult that certered around a prophecy that the end would be directly preceeded by talk of "taxes" in one place after another? Man, you'd have people constantly on the edge of their seats. Read my lips: No new taxes. Oh my God! The end is near!

SNG

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ok, that's it, i'm going back Lol.

S

• one
    one

Gerald Ford 1975

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461520314_761558435_-1_1/World_Events_1974-1977.html

"Thirty-five nations sign the Helsinki Accords finalizing the Organization on Security and Cooperation in Europe, a multinational forum for the promotion of peace, security, justice, and cooperation in Europe."

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab
    I remember it very well, because they interrupted Battlestar Galactica to show the signing of the treaty. I would have been pretty pissed off if it had been for anything other than the harbinger or Armageddon

Now that is a crime. Especially if it was the one with Count Iblis or the Battlestar Pegasus.

• gespro
    gespro

Peace and Security?!!?!?!!

Can't tell you how that would trigger me. I do remember BushSr using new world order and I used to think what they were possibly thinking back at the Hall...

LOL!

I wish something nice would happen...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit