Eat, Drink, and be Merry !!!!

by JustTickledPink 26 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I remember the JWs used to criticize the "eat, drink, and be merry" philosophy "for tomorrow we might die" and I used to think that it was a good thing that I was doing something worthwhile with my life instead of being distracted with the material things, or fleshly things of the world. That the philosophy was so fatalistic, that tomorrow we might all be dead and anyone believing in the "eat, drink, and be merry" philosophy were all so hedonistic.

Today, I hear that and have different feelings towards the saying and philosophy. I see it more realistic than fatalistic. The idea is that who knows what will happen, enjoy life, enjoy every meal, be happy, life is short.

I now view JWs as the fatalists. They are always planning on the big day of destruction, so they lose sight of the simple pleasure of life, which consist of good meal, good drinks, and being "merry" or happy. Instead of finding joy in everyday living, they put happiness on hold.

That is why holidays, celebrations, parties are all so important. Life is so glorious it should be celebrated.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Couldn't agree more. Though if I want to be Mary, Id have to take up cross dressing.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Agreed- Jehovah's Witnesses= the most fatalistic non-joyous people alive.

They are actually ANTI-JOY, yet they say they are neutral. They don't just "not celebrate" holidays, they are AGAINST them.

I developed such a negative outlook myself that I lost all joy in living- and I'm Sicilian- we love life. Now I'm getting back to my true self, and loving life again, not living in fear (I could care less if and when the Big A comes) and trying to show the "creator" that I do appreciate the gift of life even in this sucky world we live in!

Never Again!

u/d

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

another way to see things

it is now....it is always now... you will never live in any other moment than now...

if you cannot find happiness in the eternal present moment, you never will.

finding happiness means not rejecting the perfection of each moment in comparison to ideal fantasy moments yet to be found if ever.

• Gill
    Gill

Aha! Upsidedown! I thought I recognised the hot Italian blood. I also have the blood of that wonderful country running through my veins on my mother's side. Ciao! Baby!

• upside/down
  • TresHappy
    TresHappy

My grandfather used to say eat, drink and be merry because tomorrow you may be radioactive!

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

finding happiness means not rejecting the perfection of each moment in comparison to ideal fantasy moments yet to be found if ever.

I like that idea, you are really rejecting the perfection of each moment.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

What is funny is that this is exactly the philosophy of the (early Sadducean?) Bible book of Qoheleth (Ecclesiastes):

There is nothing better for mortals than to eat and drink, and find enjoyment in their toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God;
    I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live; moreover, it is God's gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in all their toil.
    This is what I have seen to be good: it is fitting to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of the life God gives us; for this is our lot. Likewise all to whom God gives wealth and possessions and whom he enables to enjoy them, and to accept their lot and find enjoyment in their toil--this is the gift of God. For they will scarcely brood over the days of their lives, because God keeps them occupied with the joy of their hearts.
    There is a vanity that takes place on earth, that there are righteous people who are treated according to the conduct of the wicked, and there are wicked people who are treated according to the conduct of the righteous. I said that this also is vanity. So I commend enjoyment, for there is nothing better for people under the sun than to eat, and drink, and enjoy themselves, for this will go with them in their toil through the days of life that God gives them under the sun.
    Go, eat your bread with enjoyment, and drink your wine with a merry heart; for God has long ago approved what you do. Let your garments always be white; do not let oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that are given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do with your might; for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.
  • upside/down
    upside/down

From a Dub point of view this isn't a "philosophy" it's counsel from God!

Now that's what I'm talkin bout,

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit