I don't understand this

by embeth2525 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• upside/down
    upside/down

I hear the words and phrases like "corrupted" and "seriously mistaken" and the such often attributed to the ancients with no proof other than some modern day "expert" or "critic" opinion. Just their statement based on their credentials (PhD etc.) is not proof. You can almost always find an "expert" opinion to disagree with anything that is conjecture or un-provable. The WTS uses this motif quite oftento their advantage. Do we want to reason as they do? It's tyranny of authority (of sorts) and still doesn't help one understand, as the original question asked.

It still leaves the intellect and heart wondering? Again I say are only the "intellectual" highly intelligent and/or educated privy to "God's" ways? Are only they capable of reason?

u/d

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

From the limited documentation I have at home, I understand that there are two extant Qumran manuscripts, one bearing bene-'elohim, meaning "sons of the gods" or "sons of God" (the translation depends on the general reference to a polytheistic or monotheistic frame), the other bearing bene-'el (but some letters seem to be missing and it might be bene-'elohim or bene-'elim, "sons of the gods").

• City Fan
    City Fan
    with no proof other than some modern day "expert" or "critic" opinion. Just their statement based on their credentials (PhD etc.) is not proof

And doesn't the Watchtower Society call this higher criticism? And then frowns on it like you do?

Do we want to reason as they do?

No, we don't.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sabrina, here is the text:

"When [Elyon] gave [to the nations] their inherit[ance, when] he separated [humankind, he set the bounds of the peoples according to the number of] the sons of God ('l...; 'lhym). [For Yahweh's portion is his people; Jacob the lot of] his [inher]itance" (4QDeut j 32:8-9). See Abegg, Flint, & Ulrich 1999.

Elyon "Most High" was one of the epithets of El (cf. Genesis 14:18-19, Psalm 82:6, and extrabiblical attestations), and the divine council was made up of the "sons of El," of which there were 70 in number according to Canaanite myth (cf. the Ugaritic Baal Cycle). In this connection, the Targum of Pseudo-Jonathan claimed that God cast lots with 70 angels after the Flood to establish the limits between the nations and Genesis 10 in the Table of the Nations similarly assumes 70 nations. This understanding of "the number of the sons of God" as being 70 is even implicit in the manuscript tradition of Deuteronomy 32:8-9, for the replacement of "God" with "Israel" in the Masoretic text is on analogy with the "seventy" sons of Israel in Genesis 46:26-27. This provides a very striking link with pre-Israelite Canaanite mythology, and explains passages such as the one cited by Narkissos in Judges. Also significant is the way in which this verse presents Yahweh as one of the sons of Elyon, who received Israel as his own inheritance (just as Chemosh received Moab and other gods received other nations). That is why Yahweh was jealous when the Israelites began worshipping the gods of other nations (cf. 1 Kings 11).

Much of the OT is technically not monotheistic or polytheistic but rather henotheistic (that is, other gods exist but only one should be worshipped).

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Narkissos,

From the limited documentation I have at home, I understand that there are two extant Qumran manuscripts, one bearing bene-'elohim, meaning "sons of the gods" or "sons of God"

Do you have any idea which Qumran manuscript that might be? I would try to find it myself if you could give me an inkling as to the particular manuscript.

Still, even with what you have provided I do not understand how you could come up with this reconstruction:

When the Most High (Elyôn, title of the supreme god El) apportioned the nations,
    when he divided humankind,
    he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
    according to the number of the gods;
    Yhwh's own portion was his people,
    Jacob his allotted share.

Both examples you've provided use, "sons of the gods" or "sons of God" but not anything like the above, "of the gods"

I could be missing something though.

Sabrina

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Leolaia,

Also significant is the way in which this verse presents Yahweh as one of the sons of Elyon, who received Israel as his own inheritance

Could you please walk me through that because I do not understand how you come to that conclusion. This whole thing is very new to me so if you would please walk me through slow?

Sabrina, who appreciates your efforts more than you know.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

All I said is that we don't find "primitive" simplistic ancient languages, rather fully developed all encompassing vocabularies that are able to convey the full range of thought and emotion. This of course tends to support the idea that a "God" made man originally with the ability for verbally expressing himself both literally and on paper (or pottry or cave wall, whatever)

I'm not a linguist by any stretch but that makes no sense. Human languages are evolving systems of communication. Relationships can be traced thru linguistic connections. Some very simplistic languages do bestow extremely limited means of transmitting complex thought. This usually is not required in the simple environment and lack of education of the language's users. Earliest written language was little more than simple symbols representing concepts like, man, fire, gods, etc. Ceturies later the symbols became a concept in itself, representing a sound that could be used to form an endless variety of spoken words.

Animal language, with syntax and notion of narrative exists in at least some of the higher species.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Sorry guys, try and "hear" what I'm saying and don't try and drag me into a quagmire of opinion and unproveable history. I NEVER said there was one original language- Where did you get that? All I said is that we don't find "primitive" simplistic ancient languages, rather fully developed all encompassing vocabularies that are able to convey the full range of thought and emotion.

upside/down....Well maybe we're both misreading each other's posts, because what you just wrote here appears to misunderstand my own post....my comment about the lack of evidence of an single original language had nothing to do with the post I cited (which I tried to distinguish by saying "And on the other question"), but rather an earlier post (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com...post.ashx#1362363), which referred to God slowing down the human race by confusing the languages ("If the languages hadn't been confused knowledge and technology would have reached where humanity is now at about the time of Christ"). That is what I was responding to...I wasn't attributing any particular position to you (I didn't say you said there was one original language), but in case you or anyone else were accepting the biblical story as historical (which does claim that there was one language), I was offering some information that was relevant to that question. Understand?

All I said is that we don't find "primitive" simplistic ancient languages, rather fully developed all encompassing vocabularies that are able to convey the full range of thought and emotion.

That's all you said in that post; my comments that you are objecting to referred to an earlier post of yours (which, as I said above, was distinguished by writing "And on the other question"). And regarding this question, I was questioning your statement (which you omit here) that ancient languages were more complex than those spoken today. That is what I was talking about in the first part of my post.

I hope this clears things up.

Take the proverbial "chip off the shoulder", and please don't try and read into what's written, it exposes a strong "bias", for your point of view

We are all biased; I made this same point to scholar last week in another post, and I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to read anything into what you wrote (as this accusation is based on a misunderstanding of what my post was responding to) and that you appear to have done the same thing in response to my post...such as presuming that I claimed that you "said that there was one language" when I didn't.

But why do you seem to be hostile in tone towards me? I detect nothing intentionally hostile or rude in my post to you; I was only trying to present some information that I thought was relevant to the discussion, yet you seem to feel that I had a "chip on my shoulder"....why did you say this? Also you characterize my writing as "overly intellectual" and then in a later post say:

Just their statement based on their credentials (PhD etc.) is not proof. You can almost always find an "expert" opinion to disagree with anything that is conjecture or un-provable. The WTS uses this motif quite oftento their advantage. Do we want to reason as they do? It's tyranny of authority (of sorts) and still doesn't help one understand, as the original question asked.

Although this is not in reference to me but to "experts" or "critics" in general (just to be clear on this, so you won't misunderstand like before), there is a clear connection to my writing as you then say "Again I say are only the "intellectual" highly intelligent and/or educated privy to "God's" ways? Are only they capable of reason?" and you had just described my writing as "overly intellectual". So....first of all, I am no expert in biblical studies but I am a critic like many of us here in JWD and I look at texts critically. Critical inquiry is not an anarchy of "opinion" and "conjecture," as if there were no facts, evidence, and interpretive methodologies involved. I assure you that there is lots of evidence and facts to consider. What motivates me to post is to share some of this evidence to those who may not be aware of it. This involves some interpretation and analysis, which certainly can be questioned -- but questioned on the basis of the evidence. It is the same with academic debate and analysis of biblical and extrabiblical evidence. Conjectures do abound, but these are hypotheses that need to be confirmed or disconfirmed with further evidence or analysis -- just as science necessarily works with hypotheses as well. The job of the critic is to study the evidence to the best of one's ability to evaluate hypotheses to determine whether one is more likely or less likely than another. Since you don't say that there are no facts or evidence, I want to make myself absolutely clear that I am not saying that you expressed yourself in such a way...but rather that you only talk about "expert" or "critical" study in terms of conjecture and don't represent fairly what the endeavor is about. Then you say that the WTS does the same thing and then ask "Do we want to reason the way they do?" I assure you, the WTS evidences very little critical thinking in its publications and instead of this unsavory comparison, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that scientists and police detectives reason the same way (using deduction and abduction with material evidence)? Then you say that it's a "tyrrany of authority". Considering that this follows my attempts to show some evidence that bears on this and the connection to your previous post addressed to me about having a "chip on my shoulder" and being "overly intellectual," I don't know how I should feel about this. Should I stop posting researched posts? Apparently they are in some way objectionable to you...

I don't want to argue...I find it stressful and emotionally very draining....I just want to talk about evidence and facts and what I think about them (which, yes, may involve conjecture), and if anyone thinks that is a sign of hubris or immodesty or having a "chip on my shoulder," I'm truly sorry that person feels that way because it's very much untrue and gravely misreads my intentions and feelings....not to say that you have these opinions per se (because I'm not sure entirely what you mean in your post, and please don't feel I am misattributing these to you and please correct me gently if I have misconstrued yourself).

Hope I haven't offended you....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Could you please walk me through that because I do not understand how you come to that conclusion. This whole thing is very new to me so if you would please walk me through slow?

Sure, if you give me some time to research this so I can get all the evidence together, I'll be happy to present the relevant texts and walk through the reasoning.

Right now, though, I feel a little relunctant to go into it in light of some attitudes on this thread about posting "overly intellectual" posts...I'll send it to you as a pm...

• upside/down
    upside/down

Ll- No, no offense taken whatsoever. And by your well thought out reply, I think I see where you are coming from.

As I mentioned (maybe I'm confusing posts/threads/replies, whatever they're called) I just get the "feeling " sometimes that theological discussions are for the overly blessed in the "brains dept." When I made my comments about intellectuals IDID NOT MEAN YOU-personally. I see now how that could look that way, my mistake. It's just I view Jesus as a person who could (and did) out "intellectualize" anyone and yet the lowliest of people were DRAWN to him, even children.

I wonder if I would draw lowly people and children? I try to use that barometer as a gauge to whether or not my point is worth listening to. My parents raised me to understand the smart and intellectual but always make the "lowly" feel welcome in any discussion. In other words to consider others as superior (even if that's not the case). Not bad for "worldly",dysfuntional, non-religious folk huh?

Anyway, your points as explained do make sense (although I arrive at a diff. conclusion) and I will try to hone my writing and reading skills so as to not be to abrasive or have a chip on my shoulder.

Counsel taken,

U/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit