I don't understand this

by embeth2525 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• embeth2525
    embeth2525

Hi, Iv'e never been able to understand the reasoning behind why God did this, Genesis 11:1-8 why would God be threatened by people wanting to build a city. Perhaps someone can answer this for me. Thanks. Beth

• upside/down
    upside/down

God wasn't threatened. It was a deliberate disobedient act at that time, since "God" had specifically told them to spread out. "God" knew that with cities came "men ruling men", which we now know IS BAD! Historically Nimrod, who was a very bad person (hunted men for sport / probably a republican lol) got this venture started. Nimrod and his cronies used FEAR to gather people together for safety, but in reality just wanted to subjugate people for themselves (sound familiar?)...

God never intended for us to live this way, because it makes us dependant on other humans (in positions of power). Thus a ruling "class" and those "ruled". Organized Religion followed right behind government (actually they were one and the same then).

I like the old American Indian saying," If I can see the smoke from my neigbors campfire, it's time to move"!!!!!!!!

u/d

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

This is kind of off-topic, but there is a show on HGTV which is called "Homesteaders and Holdouts" (I think that is the name) of people that just want to live a quiet, rural, life on the land that their ancestors left them, and the city developers, realtors, etc. HOUND them to sell, but they won't. They may have 300 acres near Atlanta worth $7.7 million and they don't sell out because they are happy with their "rural" life, despite huge houses, strip malls, etc. bounding their borders. I kinda put up a silent fist and said "Yeah!" in my mind because that is what makes these people heroes: they hold out for what is most important to them: peace of life.

Country Girl

• upside/down
    upside/down

Right on!

u/d

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I was watching that program last night. These people were holdiing on to their land despite being offered huge sums of money. One of the best displays of holding onto one's integrity I've ever seen.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Yeah, the whole idea of them building a tower that would reach into the heavens just doesn't sound feasible to me. We have skyscrapers today, what about them?

The idea that multiple languages happened overnight doesn't make sense to me either.

To me, it shows that it's just a story. The Bible is full of superstitions, fear of it actually climbing into the heavens is just ridiculous.

• upside/down
    upside/down

The crime wasn't building a tower to reach the heavens-- that's so "christendom"

It was fear of being scattered over the earth and MAKING A NAME FOR THEMSELVES ( I wonder if that name was Jehovah's Witnesses?)!

just a thought

u/d

• upside/down
    upside/down

I can't type DIE should have been FOR, duh

u/d

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

u/d thought you were putting in subliminal messages in your posts lol. DIE! i dont wanna!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The story is drawing on Akkadian sources regarding the building of ziggurats (and specifically the ziggurat of Babylon) as gateways between heaven and earth. Nebuchadnezzer, who expanded and rebuilt the E-sagila temple and the Entemenaki ziggurat, as well as traditional foundation myths specifically referred to raising the head of the ziggurat to heaven. The story in Genesis thus possibly embodies an anti-Akkadian polemic. This story about building a tower to reach heaven as been combined with a totally independent story about building a city to keep the earth's population in one place, which was defeated by confusing the earth's language. In Akkadian sources, the story about Enki confusing the one tongue had nothing to do with building a tower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit