2 year old daughter slips from mothers grip

by freedom96 34 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Here in Southern California we have been just pummeled with rain.

Here is the saddest story that I have heard here.

A lady is driving her vehicle with her 2 year old, and I think a 10 and 14 year old. Along comes a barrier, blocking people from driving through a flooded street. She decides to go around the barrier, and gets stuck. They are in need of air rescue. The oldest kids are rescued, and then they come for the mother, and rescue her, while she holds onto the 2 year old. The baby slips from the moms grip, falls into the water, and is swept away, found 3 hours later, dead.

The police have actually handed this matter to homicide detectives.

What do you think? Has she suffered enough with the trauma of losing her daughter, or should she be faced with charges? She clearly was not looking in the best interests of her kids when going through the barrier.

I think perhaps involuntary manslaughter, with probation.

I have a 18 month old in the house, and I just cannot imagine doing anything that might even remotely harm him.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

That seems just a little bit radical for them to even *think* of pressing homicide charges against her. Perhaps he was just so wet she couldn't hang on, or wasn't strong enough? I'd have to have more information on this story to figure it out. Some two year olds are pretty heavy for a person that isn't in shape to hang on with two hands, much less one! Not to mention the slick conditions. But it was kind of stupid to go around that barrier in the first place. I guess that is what they are basing their possible pressing of charges on? do you have an article or reference for this?

Country Girl

• Gill
    Gill

People make stupid decisions sometimes and they suffer the consequences. But accidents happen.

I say, she's suffered more than enough.

Slightly different, but reminds me of the case in the UK of a severly schizophrenic woman who stabbed her five year old to death. She was found guilty but could have escaped prison because of her medical condition. However she was recovering and realised what she'd done. She begged to be punished with prison because of her actions. She found what she'd done unbearable. Makes you weep when you hear her story.

Sh*t happens!

Breaks you heart though! We always want black and white, guilt and not guilty. Sad!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ya know the thing that immediately came to mind, when reading the thread title, was Michael Jackson!

Comparing the two incidents makes the whole situation seem all the more perverse.

• Princess
    Princess
    Ya know the thing that immediately came to mind, when reading the thread title, was Michael Jackson!

What connection could the two possibly have? I don't get it.

• missy04
    missy04
    What do you think? Has she suffered enough with the trauma of losing her daughter, or should she be faced with charges? She clearly was not looking in the best interests of her kids when going through the barrier.

I'm sure the lady is devestated and I think it would be very cruel. It probably was deeper than it appeared to be.....I'm sure the mom thought she could get through it or she wouldn't have tried.

• Xena
    Xena

I suppose parents thoughtlessly putting their children in unsafe circumstances of their own free will. This woman took a risk with her children by going around that barrior....the parents who allowed their children to spend the night with someone who obviously had some issues with children also took a risk with them...

As for this mother, I can only imagine the mental punishment she will put herself thru for the rest of her life. I knew a women who, prior to seatbelt laws, had taken her child out to nurse him in the front seat...her husband had to break unexpectedly and the baby hit it's head on the dashboard and died. She never forgave herself. It haunted her 20 years later when she told me about it. I would imagine it will be the same with this woman.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

http://www.nbc10.com/entertainment/1796274/detail.html

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It was a lateral leap, I wasn't thinking anything derogatory about the mother at all...

• Princess
    Princess

I suppose Xena. Seems like an odd comparison though.

Regarding baby seats: I remember my in-laws getting really irritated that I wouldn't take Rhys out when he was screaming one time. I reasoned with them that I'd rather listen to a screaming baby than have a dead one. Besides, you give in one time....they will never forget it and the screaming with be worse next time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit