vehicles without engines

by one 26 Replies latest social current

• one
    one

why should i? You do not have to - it is a free country - do you want convincing? If you do I can give you references etc to show you that linear induction motors are the core technology in maglev trains. If you do not then I will not waste my time
    i asked whay should i beleive you about the "INEFFICIENT" issue, what is the "core technology" i dont even know, but can learn...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I asked why should I believe you about the "INEFFICIENT" issue

Well all electrical generating processes are innefficient and governed by the laws of the universe - so if you generate electricity ( innefficient - or less than 100 % efficient ) to operate electrolysis cells (91% efficient) and then use the hydrogen for fuel cells to also generate power you are doing two processes so shear logic should tell you it is extremely innefficient

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I would love to see a low pollution high speed rail system in place I would use it all the time but the problem with the US is SIZE it's huge! if you go to england and say "hey lets go to france today" everyone freaks out france is 70 miles away we can't go that far! "oh my god you yanks are insane!"

Yet I regularly drive to Orlando to go to disney... (get this) to eat at a RESTURANT AT EPCOT THAT ME AND MY WIFE LIKE! We don't even do the park we drive down (147 miles) eat and watch the fireworks then drive home! Now don't get me wrong we love to go for the weekend and stay but it's not a foregone conclusion by any means!

Or another example my dad and I got a wild hair and went and played golf in Savannah about two weeks ago... left at 8 am got on the course about 10:30-11 played 4hrs and drove home... round trip had to be 250+ miles!

I drive over to the gulf to dive all the time even if I go here in jax I have to go 15-40 MILES offshore in a boat that gets nothing like good mileage... if I go over to the gulf in my EXCURSION (yes flame away I don't care) I get 13-16 mpg highway so thats 20 gallons fuel roundtrip (give or take a smidge) then the boat gets about 3 miles to the gallon (Its based on gallons per hour not mile so this is an estimate I may be WAY off in either direction) so then I'm out 30-40 gallons in the boat I've used aprox 60 gallons of fuel in one day!!!!! But what's the alternative? I can't even foresee electric boats and to pull my 6000lbs boat? A honda hybrid? Ain't gonna happen my friends, wish it would! Even if they put in a rail system how do you get a 25ft boat on a train?

As "insane yanks" we take all this for granted but how much would it cost to run a high speed rail for the two trips that I COULD take the train? BILLIONS maybe even TRILLIONS! We voted for a high speed rail several years ago here in florida and then in Nov we repealed it as financialy unfeasable...

My mom works as a paralegal for CSX and the company is billions in debt! They can't afford to stay open much less post a profit! The gov't bails them out on a daily basis... Most of the people who are in "control" aren't evil genuses who are trying to keep this stuff under wraps! They are just like you and me they would like to see more enviromentaly frendly stuff but it's the implementation that is so hard...I don't know what the solution is but it's mpt going to be easy it is however easy to point fingers (right Rush?) real solutions ain't that easy baby...

• one
    one

STill,

Solar, Wind, Wave (Tidal) Geothermal, Hydroelectric - so are you suggesting use these sources to generate electricity so that you can perform electrolysis of water and then use the hydrogen generated as part of fule cell technolgy - VERY INNEFFICIENT -Carnaud would not be pleased
    Well all electrical generating processes are innefficient and governed by the laws of the universe - so if you generate electricity ( innefficient - or less than 100 % efficient ) to operate electrolysis cells (91% efficient) and then use the hydrogen for fuel cells to also generate power you are doing two processes so shear logic should tell you it is extremely innefficient

The main point is not how technically efficient the method is BUT but it is the most economical and best environmental way to make vehicles run on the roads

unless you can find the way to power electric cars directly from the power grid, which is possible to a great extend.
  • one
    one

The well kown Toyota PriusHybrid use a 44 HP electric motor, that is about 30kw at full power operation for one hour.

average usa cost of electricity is 8.5 cents per kw (produced mainly using expensive oil)

running that car a full power for an hour will cost 2.5 dollar,

if you can tap (fill the "tank") the power from the grid at off peak hours

there would be no need to increase the power generating capacity.

• one
    one

Not only that but comparing the "efficiency" of the ICE versus the electric motors show interesting results, too much energy has been wasted for decades.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

The well kown Toyota PriusHybrid use a 44 HP electric motor, that is about 30kw at full power operation for one hour.

Yes my wife and I looked at that for a commuter car here in jacksonville... It would save a bit of gas, right up until you were run over on I-95... I asked the salesman... "is this car completly gutless or not" he replied "oh no! I took one out the other day and managed to get it up to 60!"

At 60 mph in Jacksonville you will be run over and killed the first day you own this vehicle... I'm sorry this car is simply not feasable at this time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit