vehicles without engines

by one 26 Replies latest social current

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I'm a techie and I'm very interested in alternative fuel sources, but fuel cells have some serious problems that need to be overcome. Yes, hydrogen is abundant, but it is difficult to get alone. Yes, you can extract it from water, but it takes huge amounts of electricity, which, in the United States, is generated mostly by using fossil fuels. Popular Science carried a good article about some of the challenges to fuel cells. Here's the link:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/generaltech/article/0,20967,927469,00.html

On a more positive note, researchers in Britain were able to extract hydrogen from biodiesel, which would be cool if it could be done economically, because then the same fuel could be used to power diesel engines and fuel cells. (Sorry I don't have a link on this one.)

I think eventually we'll move away from fossil fuels as a simple consequence of market economics. As China and India begin consuming on the scale we do in the US, prices will go up. When prices go up, people will look for alternatives. Companies will innovate to fill the demand. So I'm not too worried. We'll get out of this okay. :-)

SNG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

But do you know who invented the technology for them - specifically the linear induction motor? Still, Nikola Tesla a Croatian who migrated to the usa The Brtish Farady played only with DC But the AC invented by Tesla is what make posible all kind of other good things like the latest vehcles powered by three phase AC electric motor No I asked who invented the Linear Induction Motor and it was not Tesla

• one
    one
    Yes, you can extract it from water, but it takes huge amounts of electricity, which, in the United States, is generated mostly by using fossil fuels

Electrolisis should be the way to go, genereating electricy is another related controversial issue, which obviously involve the same people.

there are a few ways to generate PLENTY electricity without using oil or any other hydrocarbons

i assume you know the sources...

history will tell you that oil was cheap but reality tell us is no longer cheap nor available for ever.

BUT is was and still is good business for powerfull people (bush?) hi demand and low or controlled supply,

did you mention Irak?

THAT is all to it...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oops. I thought you were going to talk about bicycles.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Electrolysis should be the way to go, generating electricy is another related controversial issue, here are a few ways to generate PLENTY electricity without using oil or any other hydrocarbons I assume you know the sources...

Solar, Wind, Wave (Tidal) Geothermal, Hydroelectric - so are you suggesting use these sources to generate electricity so that you can perform electrolysis of water and then use the hydrogen generated as part of fule cell technolgy - VERY INNEFFICIENT -Carnaud would not be pleased

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Professor Eric Laithwaite invented the linear induction motor

• one
    one

still,

no i dont know, not even sure if those fast trains utilize it.

all i now is ibm invented DOS for PC and Bill took the ball and ran with it.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Trust me they do - and yes Bill Gates took the ball and ran with it

• one
    one

ignat,

lol, yes i have my Swhin (?) bycicle parked in the garage AND my third honda motorcycle is coming soon

the fat Santa forgot about it..

STILL,

VERY INNEFFICIENT? Carnaud ?

prove it,

have not met her yet...

Trust me the ydo

why should i?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

why should i? You do not have to - it is a free country - do you want convincing? If you do I can give you references etc to show you that linear induction motors are the core technology in maglev trains. If you do not then I will not waste my time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit