vehicles without engines

by one 26 Replies latest social current

• one
    one

Maglev trains do not have engines or motors.

We are talking about electromagnetic propulsion

Some models may employ electromagnetic suspension, the train float a few inches above ground, no friction. They can run above 300 mph, about twice as fast as conventional trains. Originating in Germany you may find them even in China and Japan but not in the USA, as usual

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

But do you know who invented the technology for them - specifically the linear induction motor?

• one
    one

Still,

Nikola Tesla a Croatian who migrated to the usa

The Brtish Farady played only with DC

But the AC invented by Tesla is what make posible all kind of other good things like the latest vehcles powered by three phase AC electric motor

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Maglev trains have been around for quite awhile now. From what I understand they are testing it in the US and considering building in certain area (like Pittsburg or DC?) It is very expensive to build so I understand the cautiousness. I just wish it would hurry up and get here! It is pollution free, smooth, and quite as a mouse!

• one
    one
    It is very expensive to build so I understand the cautiousness.

There is always an excuse for not implementing "alternative energy" in some form. Amtrak would rather use old technology, big diesel engines consuming 3 gallons per mile!

Another case is the electric car (using electric motors) getting electricity from fuelcell which in turn only need hydrogen the cheapest chemical you can think about, instead of a gas tank you use an hydrogen tank. Oil (gasoline) are technically obsolete.

Big oil guys are keeping everything on hold.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I agree with you to an extent. Big Oil is fighting any advancement of new technology that might threaten their bulging pocketbooks. However, a lot of this new technology costs a lot of money to implement. In the long run, it will well be worth it. But you have to consider the ramifications of pouring a lot of money into something new and then finding out that it is plagued with bugs or doesn't work at all. I just read about a new hydrogen powered car today and GM is unveiling. It seems to work like they want it to, but it said that if it were to retail today, it would cost as much as a warehouse full of corvettes.

We are heading in the right direction, but we still have a way to go. With that being said, maglev trains are a different story. They have been around for some time, and I do not think there is the need to such cautiousness as to if it will work or not. I think they only need to consider if consumers will use it enough to make a viable alternative to transportation. Personally, I think it would be big hit!

By the way ... here is that article ...

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"...getting electricity from fuelcell which in turn only need hydrogen the cheapest chemical you can think about..."

Yes, but look a little closer... who is investing heavily in fuel cell technology? The big oil companies.

Where do they get the hydrogen from? They are 'cracking' the complex hydro-carbon molecules - pulling hydrogen from... yup. oil. fossil fuel.

Think about it. Who has an investment already in all of the fueling stations - and has the capability to deliver massive amounts of fuel?

If a true 'hydrogen' supplier were to try to get established... how successful would they be? Think how expensive it would be.

Sorta like... right now - today - one can make and use bio-diesel from vegetable oil. There is a limited market for this. Why? Because distribution gets to be a difficult thing. What fuel station would carry it? It has to be an independent - or at least here in the states it would have to be. Hence, it is prohibitively expensive - and only those who are 'green' gung-ho will buy it... IF they can find it.

Regards,

Jim TX

• one
    one

Wild,

It seems to work like they want it to, but it said that if it were to retail today, it would cost as much as a warehouse full of corvettes.

Same as a pc several years years ago.

"cautiousness"?

proper use of hydrogen is no problem, rocket, space vehicles used it for decades and the techonology.to make vehicles move by electric motors instead of gas engines is very old stuff.

to me is not coutiousness but intentional "resistance to change" to keep control on energy supply. As you probably know anyone can generate her/his own hydrogen at home given the "tool", same way you have a refrigerator to make ice and a microwave oven to cook etc etc. Just a portable or transportable hydrogen generator, which you can actually buy right now except it cost too much. AND probably banned to the public in the future.

jim,

Yes, but look a little closer... who is investing heavily in fuel cell technology? The big oil companies.

exactly, "investing" and keeping it on hold until they figure out how to leave everyone out the new business

Think about it. Who has an investment already in all of the fueling stations - and has the capability to deliver massive amounts of fuel?

If a true 'hydrogen' supplier were to try to get established... how successful would they be? Think how expensive it would be.

distribution gets to be a difficult thing.

Not really, they fear that consumer AND entire COUNTRIES may find a way to bypass the distributor and dealer and become more independent.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"...Not really, they fear that consumer AND entire COUNTRIES may find a way to bypass the distributor and dealer and become more independent."

I don't think that they 'fear' this... again... look at the bio-diesel - and how it is having trouble getting established. Why? Because the oil industry will be shut out - since it does NOT use fossil fuels.

Again - this is why they are investing heavily in the hydrogen - which they can 'extract' from fossil fuels.

Sheesh. This topic is dead,

Regards,

Jim TX

• one
    one

We ara arriving to the same conclusion, except that you dont mention that hydrogen can be obtained from a source other than oil, gas, gasoline etc,... WATER.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit