Texas Drawl ...

by Panda 22 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

Panda- you're right to a point about Eastern Washington....but I was primarily raised in Seattle...I think we have a mixture of something or other happening...

I'm not so sure about political jealousy as much as plain old stereotyping. You know there was a good documentary on PBS about the Stokes Trial a while back and how some Northern papers kind of hold some responsibility for the stereotypes of "all" southerners being stupid hicks.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

John Conally, former Texas Govener and Treasury secetary once said "I love dealing with folks who think they are smarter than me." Folks it's called shuckin. "we don need that in the contract, that ain't gonna hep either one of us."

Elsewhere, as far as George Bush is concerned, I once read that he made better grades in College than John Kerry. He has also proven that it is dangerous to "mis-under estimate" him. After all he is starting his second term as President. Ann Richards is one of those who thought Bush was dumb, so where the hell is Ann now.

Under74 hit the nail on the head, it's stereotyping, plain and simple. African Americans have put up with that for years and, at times, taken advantage of folks who have a pre-conceived notion about their smarts. One difference between them and white Texans, blacks call it Jiving. Obviously sterotyping anyone is strupid.

When Kerry lost to Bush some of his supporters started referring to fly over country and the dumb, uneducated hicks who inhabiti that area. Keep it up, it makes us angry and engergizes us to get more involved in the political process.

• under74
    under74

"When Kerry lost to Bush some of his supporters started referring to fly over country and the dumb, uneducated hicks who inhabiti that area. Keep it up, it makes us angry and engergizes us to get more involved in the political process."

I think it's also a stereotype that all notherners think all southerners are dumb...or that a southerner would vote a certain way just because some Kerry voters made (or rumored to have made) a stupid comment.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    or that a southerner would vote a certain way just because some Kerry voters made (or rumored to have made) a stupid comment

Keep thinking that way, we love it !!!!!!!!!!.

• under74
    under74

Isn't that what you said?

" engergizes us to get more involved in the political process."

Sometimes people look for enemies where there aren't any.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Unable to control one's drawl...pops out Texan!

• under74
    under74

We have to be careful that some of the stereotyping isn't caused by oneself. As in saying "we" as in you're speaking for all Texans.

also-

"African Americans have put up with that for years and, at times, taken advantage of folks who have a pre-conceived notion about their smarts. One difference between them and white Texans, blacks call it Jiving. Obviously sterotyping anyone is strupid."

Umm, stating that African Americans have at some point other "taken advantage" of preconceived notions about them perpetuates a stereotype. ...also I think the word "jiving" hasn't been used since the 1970s....

But you're right...stereotyping is stupid.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

<flashes her dipthong at Panda and blushes>

Country Girl

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    stating that African Americans have at some point other "taken advantage" of preconceived notions about them perpetuates a stereotype. ...also I think the word "jiving" hasn't been used since the 1970s....

To say African Americans have taken advantage of preconc

• Badger
    Badger

I have an amalgam of accents...but I have noticed that southerners are presumed to be oafish because of their inflections...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit