Texas Drawl ...

by Panda 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

Ok I read about a study involving but not all encompassing the Texas drawl. So what do you think --- Is the Texas Drawl a good way to hide an intellect?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

try the midwest drawl - wow

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"Is the Texas Drawl a good way to hide an intellect?"

Yes. I do it all the time.

Of course... I only type with an accent.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Don't know nuttin' 'bout no Texas drawl... but the reason Texas is such a big state is to hold all these swolled up intellects we got down heah.

Country Girl

• Xena
    Xena

I haven't found anyone yet who considered me stupid due to my Texas accent....I'm sure they have for other reasons, but not the accent.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sometimes I forget you guys have all got accents over that side of the pond. I'm going to strat reading all your posts with an accent from now on...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Is the Texas Drawl a good way to hide an intellect?

If so, then Bush has found a way to hide what he doesn't have.

• Panda
    Panda
    Of course... I only type with an accent

. Hey, Jim-Tex how do you type with an accent?

CG --- c'omon you have afew other dipthongs thrown in with your drawl!

And YES our Brit bros. we do speak with an accent. Many linguists believe that the accent spoken in the southern states is very close to the spoken 17th century English in YESSSSS England!

• under74
    under74

I don't know about it hiding intellect. I think it might be a way to hide lifestyle...texas drawls have a way of making one think of a simpler way of life--common folk and all that old west stuff.

I'm not from Texas but everyone asks me what part of the south I'm from, same thing happens to my siblings...I have no idea why people would think we have southern accents but many do....a lady recently told me she thought the way I spoke was "real charming," even though I kept telling her that I'm from Washington state.

....whatever

• Panda
    Panda

Under74, If you are from Eastern Washington you have a midwest drawl which most northerners can't tell from a Texas drawl. People in the north think southerners are stupid. They call southerners by durogatory names (red neck, toothless hick, racist, bible thumper) you've heard it all. I think that it may be political jealousy (most US Presidents have been southern boys) Just remember all of those early Virginians!

So I think that folks expect less from Texans in the way of "brains" but if that's all it takes to fool a Yankee why haven't we invaded the north again just to see how it'd go? I believe most generals and admirals are still southern ... I guess that the Texas drawl also hides heroism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit