Word of the Year

by Leolaia 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Tonight I'm voting in the official "Word of the Year" election held at the annual American Dialect Society conference. What words do you think should merit being considered the best word of 2004? As defined by the ADS, the word of the year is the word that "most colored the nation's lexicon, or otherwise dominated the national discourse." Thus, the word of 1999 was Y2K, the word of 2000 was chad, the word of 2001 was 9/11, and so forth. What word best defines 2004? I have a feeling it will be blog (especially considering the interest in "internet bloggers" in the past election), but who knows.

There are also other categories, such as "Most Creative," "Most Likely to Succeed," "Most Outrageous," and so forth.

Here are some of the candidates, from the ADS website (http://www.americandialect.org):

girlie man, girly man?Effeminate male (Best Revival of an Old Term?we have a citation for 1894 that obviously antedates the SNL use in the Hans und Franz skit ca. 1987)

Pac-Manhattan?Pac-Man played out in the streets of Manhattan by students in colored rain coats

strategic ambiguity?Not letting the enemy know for sure about one's military (esp. Nuclear) capabilities (citations go back to the early 70s)

movieokie?Version of a movie allowing would-be actors to perform the dialogue

Janet moment?Unplanned bodily exposure at a public function (after Janet Jackson)

Boobgate?Scandal over Janet Jackson's exposed breast

Nipplegate?See BOOBGATE (but used earlier in squawk over John Elway's possible nipple ring)

proclaimer?"I am __________, and I approve this message." (Now that's got to be the phrase of the year.)

partner reduction?Divorce

hillbilly armor?Makeshift armor added to military vehicles

up-armored?Equipped with hillbilly armor

527?Independent political action committee of the kind that must surely rankle McCain and Feingold

traditionally built woman?Big chick

flash mob?seemingly spontaneous gathering prompted by cellphoning

purple state?a state that is neither red nor blue, but undecided

angel, n., among American military medical personnel in Iraq, a soldier killed in combat. The earliest cite I have is 2004.

backdoor draft, n., the filling of military jobs through reactivation of former troops or through forced enlistment extensions known as stop-loss orders. Although bandied about during the 2004 presidential campaign, backdoor draft was used as early as 1999 during the Clinton administration in online discussions between military personnel.

haji mart, n., among American military in Iraq and Afghanistan, a flea market, bazaar, or roadside vendor. Usually derisive or jocular. From haji, a term for any native of those countries, which in Arabic and Farsi is a term of respect for Muslims who have made a pilgrimage to Mecca. Often capitalized as if it is a proper noun, haji mart probably succeeds through its play on the American retail chains "Wal-Mart" and "K-Mart." This was probably coined in 2003.

hillbilly armor, n., scavenged materials used by soldiers for improvised bulletproofing and vehicle hardening, esp. in Iraq. First cite 2004.

Got any others? What are your favorites? Let me know.....I'll post the official results sometime tonight.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

how's aboot wardrobe malfunction--in reference to the Janet moment?

laters

kaykay_mp

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL, yes indeed, that is a big one. I forgot to add the entry for that one:

wardrobe malfunction?Overexposure in a mammary way

I'm pretty sure that will win at least one of the categories.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I was thinking Bennifer was the most used word in 2004.

Then politically with the election I was thinking

michaelmoore or bush and all the bush loving/hating jokes.

Then again it might have been the year of ParisHilton.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

cool. i like "flash mob" and "Pac-Manhattan", just for the imagery they conjure up. here's some more...

togethering pp. Vacationing with one's extended family or friends. ?n. Among a hundred other statistics, the peppy marketing group, led by the irrepressible Cami Mattson, reported that, in the last five years, eight out of 10 travelers took at least one vacation with extended family or friends. More and more, Americans are vacationing in a loving gang, it seems. This trend toward mob bonding is called "togethering," a novel word to my ear. ?Logan Jenkins, "North County the spot for `togethering'," The San Diego Union-Tribune, April 29, 2004

==

Google bombing (GOO.gul bawm.ing) n. Setting up a large number of Web pages with links that point to a specific Web site so that the site will appear near the top of a Google search when users enter the link text.
    ==

undecorating (un.DEK.uh.ray.ting) pp. Redecorating a home or room to give it a simpler, less cluttered look. ?undecorate v. As in: "This room needs editing. " Editing also is known as "paring down," or, as the new issue of Better Homes and Gardens calls it, "undecorating. " Undecorating is when you take a good, hard look at all of the decorating you've done during the last 10 years and ... well, undo it.
    ?Bill Ervolino, "Un to the task at hand," The Record (Bergen County, NJ), March 31, 2004
    ==

furkid n. A pet treated as though it were one's child. Also: fur-kid, fur kid. Example Citation: My name is Brenda Mejia and I'm owned by two Australian cattle dogs. I don't have kids, so I call my dogs my 'furkids.' They keep me as busy as a soccer mom. ?Brenda Mejia, "Pet stories," The Desert Sun (Palm Springs, CA), April 30, 2004
    ==

crackberry n. A BlackBerry handheld computer, particularly one used obsessively; a person who uses such a computer obsessively. Also: CrackBerry.
    Example Citations: In Washington and elsewhere, the devices are referred to as "CrackBerries" because of their addictive quality. Philippe Reines, a 34-year-old Democrat who works on Capitol Hill (and who coined the term "blirting," for BlackBerry flirting), said he went through severe withdrawal after finding that Martha's Vineyard lacked BlackBerry reception. Mr. Reines wandered around the Vineyard for days looking for spots of coverage before begging an airline employee to take his BlackBerry on a round trip to the mainland, where it could send and receive messages. He got 129 new messages, many of them social. ?Jennifer 8. Lee, "A BlackBerry Throbs, And a Wonk Has a Date," The New York Times, May 30, 2004

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Great ones, Incense. I like fur kid and togethering. JustTickled....Bennifer actually came up last year for consideration in the category "Most Unnecessarily". The other big contender for this category was "freedom fries". Well, personally, I can't think of a more useless (and stupid) word than Bennifer, whereas I found "freedom fries" quite useful when I was in France last year in self-deprecating humor, yet "freedom fries" carried the day. Go figure.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Nuclear...Nuukleor

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Nuclear...Nuukleor

nuc-u-lar...what is the correct pronunciation? Sometimes it's annoying, when the word actually does end up in a conversation, someone would be like, "no, it's pronounced nuc-u-lar!"

"All righty then."

laters

kaykay_mp

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

Leolaia

check this out, a treasure chest of coined words. have fun!

http://www.wordspy.com

p.s. i'm in the process of undecorating my house even as we speak. i didn't even know that's what it was called

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

metrosexual ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit