Hoorah for Australia and Germany!

by Kenneson 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

As it now stands, the Australian government has pledged $810 million to the tsunami relief effort.

Germany is next with $674 million.

Japan--$500 million.

U.S. trails in fourth place with $350 million

http://news.yahoo.com/asiadisaster Click on "Leaders Tour Tsunami Areas, Up Donations"

While the U.S. government could do a lot better, the private sector is not doing too badly. See "Profound shift in U.S. culture of giving. Deluge of private donations hits $163 million. Media coverage, Web fueled unprecedented aid." Web fueled except for Jehovah's Witness sites like http://www.watchtower.org and http://www.jw-media.org

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0105/p01s03-ussc.html

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I smell a poker-like deal where the US is underbetting so the other countries can reveal their real amounts and then the USA puts in an unreachable amount like 2 billion.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I was very pleased when I saw what Australia gave, but not really surprised. They are a lot closer to the region after all, so I think they really appreciate how hard it the people are even more than the rest of the world may.

I don't know if the US is going to go any higher, I would be surprised, and I don't think the US is being cheap if they don't. There are a lot of things we need to get done here at home too. I am sure that sounds cold, but I don't want the US to promise more money than it can deliver, or end up taking money away from necessary programs here because they over extend. That wouldn't help anyone. If the US can, they great, I hope we can raise the amount. But I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a contest to see what country can give the most.

By the way, Germany can afford it, since it didn't spend any real money in Iraq. (oooo just poking the bear with a stick is all heehee)

• Fleur
    Fleur

Kudos to Australia and Germany...now those are some donations.

Hopefully the US will send more when they are done "assessing the need".

• jwbot
    jwbot

yeah we need to stop sending pencil-pushers and do something already. $350 is great though. This should not be a contest.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    I am sure that sounds cold, but I don't want the US to promise more money than it can deliver, or end up taking money away from necessary programs here because they over extend. That wouldn't help anyone. If the US can, they great, I hope we can raise the amount. But I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a contest to see what country can give the most.

No, what's going to happen is we're going to be in deficit while uneeded pork barrel programs are continued for our Lawyerocracy we have in DC.

I apply this to both our Ubergovernment Democrats and our Scratch My Back Republicans we have in that millionares club we call the U.S. Houses Of Congress.

yeah we need to stop sending pencil-pushers and do something already. $350 is great though. This should not be a contest
    AMEN!
  • upside/down
    upside/down

By my math that's over 1.687 Billion SO FAR. Divide that up amongst the 150,000 poor souls and their families.

Or does most of it go to greedy developers and damaged hotels? What is the per capita income for most of those people- I'll bet not much!

I know let's take all the scab countries (or the UN) that profited from the "oil for food" program and just hand them the bill (they made in excess of 10 Billion)

That also doesn't count the efforts of the military- who cares about the $$$ anyway. It's the thoughts and effort that count! (remember the widows mite). Again I wonder if that happend in the good ol US of A, how much $$$ would be coming our way?

u/d

• Simon
    Simon

It's sad. The US gave $7billion to Florida, already a wealthy place, when the hurricans struck. UK citizens have given about the same as the US has despite our much lower population.

C'mon America ... you are always telling us how you have the biggest and best economy and are the nicest people - now is the chance to prove it.

• Pole
    Pole

ColdRain,

I smell a poker-like deal where the US is underbetting so the other countries can reveal their real amounts and then the USA puts in an unreachable amount like 2 billion.

That would be nice but we'll see.

Eyebrow2,

I was very pleased when I saw what Australia gave, but not really surprised. They are a lot closer to the region after all, so I think they really appreciate how hard it the people are even more than the rest of the world may.

Makes sense, but it doesn't justify the US's pledge at all. Germany is not Asia either and it has given more.

There are a lot of things we need to get done here at home too. I am sure that sounds cold, but I don't want the US to promise more money than it can deliver, or end up taking money away from necessary programs here because they over extend.

Germany's economy has been rather poor for the last few years. They have recession and record unemployment.

That wouldn't help anyone.

What do you mean that wouldn't help anyone?

By the way, Germany can afford it, since it didn't spend any real money in Iraq. (oooo just poking the bear with a stick is all heehee)

Let's hope all the board's bears are deep asleep.

If the US can, they great, I hope we can raise the amount. But I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a contest to see what country can give the most.

It certainly can. And I think it's better to raise more money in a contest than raise little just because you avoid having a contest.

upside/down.

By my math that's over 1.687 Billion SO FAR. Divide that up amongst the 150,000 poor souls and their families. Or does most of it go to greedy developers and damaged hotels? What is the per capita income for most of those people- I'll bet not much!

Remember we're talking about Asia so this money does mean something to the affected countries (check the GDP per capita in India to see what I mean), although I understand your concerns abuot the distribution of the money.

Pole

• upside/down
    upside/down

I'm curious (and I don't know) do all of these $$ figures include charitable orgs, or is it just what the government sends?

I also remember reading in the late 80's that the USA (at that time) constituted about 6% of the world's population, yet consumed roughly HALF of the worlds produceable resources. (true or not I can't prove). And while to many this is a reason to HATE America (ie. Americans/gluttons) I see it now as a reason to be thankful- yes THANKFUL. Without conspicuous consumption there would be no global economy. I used to live in Southern Cal., take a trip from San Diego to Tijuana and see what the differnce between two governments is!

Now I'm not saying the US is "the bestest", and there are LOTS of things I've seen elsewhere that I admire. But I do know this- the US may be slow at times (ex:WW1 & WW2) but when it REALLY MATTERS we (they?) jump in. And even if the US was to let me down and not live up to it's role a "sole super-power", that would't change what I will do. I'm not a patriot- just grateful to a country that's been good to me although I haven't been all that good to it (being a Dub and all).

Here's to humanity and the good it's capable of!

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit