President Bush donates $10,000

by yesidid 44 Replies latest jw friends

• nilfun
    nilfun

President and Mrs. George W. Bush reported taxable income of $727,083 for the tax year 2003.

• blondie
    blondie

Net worth:

Net worth: $9,634,088-$26,593,000.

Per Slate Magazine

Dear Yahoo!:
    What is George W. Bush's net worth vs. John Kerry's net worth?
    Candidate Chris
    Dear Chris:
    While many U.S. politicians try to identify with middle-class Americans, Bush and Kerry both come from wealthy families.

According to Slate magazine, George W. Bush has a net worth of around $9 million to $26 million, and John Kerry has a net worth of about $165 million to $626 million, which includes his wife's assets. The Center for Public Integrity has collected details of both candidates' income and assets. Bush's biggest asset is his Texas ranch, while Kerry's top income source is his wife's portion of the Heinz company.

But including Teresa Heinz Kerry's personal fortune isn't wholly accurate. As Heinz Kerry has publicly noted, a prenuptial agreement keeps her money separate. Also, federal election laws limit how much of his wife's funds Kerry can use.

In 2002 financial disclosures, Kerry stated that assets in his own name were worth $409,000 to $1.8 million, and he had an additional $300,000 to $600,000 in assets owned jointly with his wife.

So without his wife's money, Kerry is less wealthy than Bush. But no matter how you count it, both are rich even without a presidential salary.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040823.html

http://slate.msn.com/id/2084356

• nilfun
    nilfun

and they paid over 200,000 in taxes.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/04/20040413-4.html

and contributed over 68,000 to charities.

hey, this stuff is interestin!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    I just think that the amount was too low considering his wealth. He is very wealthy, aside from his big presidential salary.

Well, I'm glad that you have put yourself in a position to judge the significance of another person's charitable contribution. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth !

George W. Bush's net worth has been estimated at anywhere between 9 and 26 million. Not that wealthy in comparison to others in this country. And as stated previously; in 2003 he and Laura donated $68,360 to charity.

I also still believe the US contribution overall is too low. Not private donations, what our government has offered compared to other, smaller nations. But I'm sure that'll get defended too LOL.

LOL? Yeah, that's funny. In addition to the $350 million, this is some of the other stuff our government is doing:

* Over 12,600 troups on the ground over there already and more on the way

* (21) U.S. military ships including the 2 fleets listed following-

* The USS Abraham Lincoln and her 5 ships are there

* The Expeditionary Group 5 - a group of 6 ships- amphibious ships Rushmore, Bonhomme Richard and
    Duluth, a guided missile cruiser; Bunker Hill, the guided missile destroyer; Milius and guided missile
    frigate; Thach and their crews and equipment

* The US Naval Ship"Mercy", a 1,000 bed hospital ship is on it's way from San Diego

* (7) US warships will arrive in the next several days, each capable of producing 90,000 gallons of
    fresh water daily. Thats 630,000 gallons of fresh water per day!

* (17) US C-130 cargo planes are flying in supplies to the areas affected the most

* (9) Naval P-3 Orion surveillance planes are there

* (96) Helicopters with 50 arriving today with 2 more ships

* other C-7 and C-5 cargo planes

* teams of military entomologists, epidimiologists and lab technicians

* Earth moving and road building equipment equipment

* Electrical power generators

And the list grows every day. In TEN DAYS.

And this is all without the personal contributions from our citizens which is over the top!

The US has been helping other countries since we became a country and it makes me ill to see the naysayers harping about it not being enough. Americans open their wallets for charity both at home and abroad every year whether there is a current natural disaster or not in numbers that will never be equaled by other countries of the world. And it's never enough, it's not fast enough blah blah blah. It makes me sick. It's not a race and it's not a contest. It's a disaster! A huge one. And the US, once again is responding in a HUGE way!

I find it very interesting that George Bush was criticized for not coming out before the cameras right awa. As though there aren't any phones in Crawford Texas and his not appearing before the press meant to so many that he wasn't doing anything. But I don't see people nailing Kofi Annan for continuing on the ski slopes in Jackson Wyoming for 3 days and not coming out in front of the cameras? And Annan is the Secretary of the UN for christ sake! For him it was okay to say:

"We live in a world where you can operate from wherever you are. You know the world we live in now. You don?t have to be physically here to be dealing with the leaders and the Governments I have been dealing with. You don?t have to be physically here to be discussing with some of the agencies that we have done."

And who was the first person the heads of state in that region got a phone call from? Colin Powell. Doing his job and reaching out to other countries. And Bush's call came in shortly after.

XW

• Swan
    Swan
    The US has been helping other countries since we became a country and it makes me ill to see the naysayers harping about it not being enough. Americans open their wallets for charity both at home and abroad every year whether there is a current natural disaster or not in numbers that will never be equaled by other countries of the world. And it's never enough, it's not fast enough blah blah blah. It makes me sick. It's not a race and it's not a contest. It's a disaster! A huge one. And the US, once again is responding in a HUGE way!

Well said. The U.S. has responded to this disaster, and I think when it is all over the tallies will show record contributions, but we will always be accused of not doing enough soon enough. It's a lose-lose situation, and very political. You can't win if you are a high profile figure like the President, but you can exercise some political damage control by keeping the amount a secret.

I think that the actual people getting the aid will be thankful, but the world as whole will still think we are stingy Americans. That's why I like to keep the amount confidential; just a personal opinion on giving. Give too little and you are a cheapskate, give too much and you are boasting. I know this is mainly about helping those people suffering, but also knowing that I gave what I could afford also brings me some personal satisfaction.

Tammy

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Archived from the Onion. A trustworthy new source.

Bush Horrified To Learn Presidential Salary

Actually I have to agree with Xena. The U.S. Government is doing a heck of a lot, and anyone belly-aching about that is misquided.

It seems American bashing is a popular sport, but as soon as some calamity falls upon some other nation, the world looks to the U.S. to pick them up by their boot straps and get them up on their feet.

I hope this situation shows the nay sayers how the U.S.'s well oiled military machine can be used for compassionate missions as well.

I'm not a W luver, but I am impressed with the way he has handled this situation. Also getting the 2 former U.S. presidents together to put together private donations, was a class act imo.

• Fleur
    Fleur

The inaugurational celebrations are expected to cost "$30 million to $40 million, not counting security, but no tax revenues will be used to pay for it, according to the Presidential Inaugural Committee. By the end of last year, at least 31 donors had given $250,000 each to the committee." according to Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=7236161

All that for one day's worth of activities. Bush will be dancing and wear his custom made cowboy hat (hand made for him, btw)...is it any wonder so much of the world doesn't respect him?

I do however respect Colin Powell. A lot. Good for him for all he's doing, I wish the man good luck in his future life once he leaves politics (which he plans on doing).

All the things you listed Xena that the government is doing are wonderful. I still think the priorities are skewed overall.

But since bush apologists are going to continue to debate my right to have an opinion LOL I bow out of this thread.

I respect your opinion that you need to defend the president. I also respect my right to disrespect him. That's the American way, after all, isn't it? Freedom of thought and opinion? If he's doing so well, he really doesn't need you to defend him, does he? His actions speak for themselves.

Have a lovely day all.

essie

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I, too, was agast at the seemingly paltry amount the Prez gave. However, that doesn't mean that he doesn't also support other charities.

S Asia has received so much in aid. Recordbreaking! But I'm sure other aid funds are suffering because of it.

The Bush admin on the day of the disaster promised $15 mil in aid. But that was not announced by the press secretary. It was only after the US was criticized that $35 mil in aid was promised and announced. I'm sure the administration and Bush will be remembered for being slow to act, instead of slow to announce.

Now we're up to $350 mil in financial aid, plus the assistance of 2 flattops and 30+ helecopters, with 40 more on the way, the cost of which is not included in the $350m. These guys are working war-time shifts getting aid where the need is greatest, returning with severe casualties. They have been so happy just to be able to help, they're not the least bit fatigued. I bet they're happy they're not being shot at.

Just don't forget to donate at home, too.

Hugs

Brenda

• Preston
    Preston

I didn't vote for G Bo (I J-Lo'd the president's name) however, I thought it was a nice thought that the prez donated $10,000.00. I think the giving of anything at this time shouldn't be minimized considering how much is needed. I'm sure John and Tereza donated something in private, they are very giving philantropists...

- Preston

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

The point is...................... George W. Bush (or anyone else for that matter) is NOT obligated in any way to give one thin dime for the charity or betterment of another. It's charity and IMO it's shitty for people to judge whether the amount they have DONATED of their own earned money is enough! It's a gift! I'd hate like hell to give any of those people a gift and have them judge whether my gift to them was of appropriate size or value depending on my income level. It's a damned good thing we have people in this world with the means and the desire to donate sums of money that make a difference and IMO it's demanding and ungrateful to be sitting in judgement of the amounts.

As far as the inaugural celebrations are concerned- did you question the money spent by the Clintons on Bill's inaugural celebrations and whether he should have donated that money to whatever disasters were going on at that time? Or do you reserve this misguided contempt only for George Bush? I'm certain we could find all kinds of things that were going on in either of those years that the $$ could have been spent on instead of those days' worth of activities or the costumes Bill and Hillary wore at those events.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit