President Bush donates $10,000

by yesidid 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

CNN made the announcement not Bush and generally like other stars and public figures that have donated it leaks from the people they donated it too. I doubt he told anyone just like I doubt any other public figure told anyone what they donated but someone has to know since you go and give the check with your signature on it

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    Hey he is the one that was bragging about it,

This was released by Bush's press secretary (as it would be under any other administration) and I didn't read or hear anything anywhere that Bush was "bragging" or even spoke about it himself.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Sorry if the pro-bush are offended. I just think that the amount was too low considering his wealth. He is very wealthy, aside from his big presidential salary.

I think that as the sitting president if he had wanted it to be kept secret, it would have been. He likely had his secretary 'leak' it as they do often when they want news to spread but don't want it to look like he's making an announcement. All politicians do it.

Good for him that he donated something. But him donating that much when homeless people have been showing up and donating 20.00...doesn't impress me.

I don't know why people feel the need to defend him. If he did a good thing, that should be its own reward, why does anyone else's opinion of him matter.

I also still believe the US contribution overall is too low. Not private donations, what our government has offered compared to other, smaller nations. But I'm sure that'll get defended too LOL.

Peace ya'll.

• Swan
    Swan

I know how much I gave and to whom, but that is between me and the charity. I'm just saying, knowing how much I gave compared to my income, and knowing how much he gave, based on his income, it looks rather bad for him. I think it was a mistake to tell us the amount. He kept the names of the charities quiet, but why tell the amount?

I really don't see this as Bush bashing. I went and read the article. It was my take on what I read. Personally, I think it is great that he gave something. The public manner and the amount is what bothers me. The rest of the world is already very critical of how this disaster was handled by the President. This won't win him any points.

As for John Kerry, who cares what he gave. Bush won the election fair and square. What Kerry or Al Gore gave is irrelevant, unless they start going around boasting about it.

Scott McClellan, White House press secretary, told reporters traveling with Bush to Illinois that the president -- himself a multimillionaire -- has written checks to several organizations listed on a Web site set up to direct Americans to various reputable charities collecting private contributions for tsunami relief. McClellan would not identify the organizations to which Bush contributed. -- San Francisco Chronicle

Politically it was a bad move, and the rest of the world is going to notice.

Tammy

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Big Presidental Salary The President only gets $250,000 a year. That is not a BIG salary. I am not saying that it is peanuts but it is not what a CEO of any large business makes. CEO's of large Corporations make 2-3 times that yearly if not more. He is giving to this one charity 4% of his GROSS yearly salary. The average joe is giving $80 and makes about 36,000 a year that is 0.2% of their yearly salary. I would say that is a really good donation.

• Fleur
    Fleur
    I know how much I gave and to whom, but that is between me and the charity. I'm just saying, knowing how much I gave compared to my income, and knowing how much he gave, based on his income, it looks rather bad for him. I think it was a mistake to tell us the amount. He kept the names of the charities quiet, but why tell the amount?

Yes!

Politically it was a bad move, and the rest of the world is going to notice.

Swan said everything I was trying to say and said it better LOL.

I bet if Bill Clinton had donated 10,000 dollars and made a deal of it with the press that people would be all over him about his book deal LOL.

And I don't consider it bush-bashing...I just think that if he was trying to improve his image in the eyes of the world 10,000 isn't going to do it.

have a great evening all!

essie

• Swan
    Swan
    I bet if Bill Clinton had donated 10,000 dollars and made a deal of it with the press that people would be all over him about his book deal LOL.

Actually, I saw Clinton and George H. W. Bush on the Today show the other morning. They were talking about their new appointments by President G. W. Bush to help with tsunami relief. I was very impressed with how both former Presidents are handling the management of this disaster relief.

They were both very sympathetic and did a lot to help encourage Americans to be generous. Neither of them spoke of what amount they had personally donated.

Tammy

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

double post

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    He is very wealthy, aside from his big presidential salary.

Does anyone know what the annual salary of President of US is?

• blondie
    blondie

$400,000 a year

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit