What if World War One never happened?

by outbutnotdown 32 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

JW's are no good in predicting events, so they relate to them only once they pass.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually the WTS predicted that Armageddon would end in 1914 (later adjusted to 1915). And that they would be taken to heaven. While they did not go out on a hilltop and wait, psychologically it was the same.

"...we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished by the end of A.D. 1914" (Watchtower founder, Charles Taze Russell, The Time is at Hand, p. 99).

1915 "In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the kingdom of God, will be accomplished near the end of A.D. 1915. The Time Is At Hand, 1915 edition, p. 99)

"ΒΌ...the 'battle of the great day of God Almighty' (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced" (Ibid., p. 101).

1915 "Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1878, and that the 'battle of the great day of God Almighty' (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of the earth's present rulership, is already commenced." (The Time Is At Hand; 1889; 1915 ed.; p. 101)

Another adjustment attempt:

Some interesting developments in connection with the setting up of the Kingdom may occur in 1920, six years after the great Time of Trouble began. It would not be strange if this were so, when we recall that after forty years wandering in the wilderness the Israelites came into possession of the land of Canaan after a further six years. As these matters are still future we can but wait to see. We anticipate that the "earthquake" will occur early in 1918, and that the "fire" will come in the fall of 1920. [The Finished Mystery, 1917, p. 178, Comments on Revelation 11:13. [The 1926 ed. reads: "and that the 'fire' will follow in due course."])

http://www.geocities.com/paulblizard/dates.html
  • Balsam
    Balsam

That is a good question. If WWI had never happend it would have made their prophecy look foolish. It would have brought in fewer converts too.

Balsam

• heathen
    heathen

IMO the 1914 doctrine has alot to do with alot of the other doctrine of the WTBTS such as the appearance of the leopard beast of revelation ( league of nations) the appearance of the 2 witnesses that are killed and not buried( Rutherford and the WTBTS) . It does work from their standpoint so they can't very well just up and abandon it . Their are still enough people alive from that generation to support the "this generation doctrine." The true christian religion apparently was never designed to last for a long period of time , the apostles exspected the new system in their life time as well and a huge apostasy . Of course the evidence is pretty shaky since they did have the belief that the generation included those that were practicing the religion or members of the international bible students at the time of WW1 . I would like to know how many 100 yr. plus olds are left in the org . I haven't seen anything new on this doctrine from the WTBTS other than the" this generation" can now be any generation, as posted on the board .

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Good points all,

I guess when it really comes down to it, society as a whole has to be held responsible for producing enough people who buy that crap. Watching "The Life of Brian" makes you realize how people can create their own bandwagon, jump on and be thoroughly convinced that it's taking them right to God.

(And I know that the life is Brian is not a "True Life Story" but it could be..... )

Brad

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

"Look! He has left his sandal behind. That is a sign to us that we must all walk about with one sandal!"

"No! Follow the Gourd! That is the message he left behind."

"No, The Sandal!"

"The Gourd!"

"He's not the Messiah. Those were my Juniper berries!"

"Unbeliever! Heretic! Persecute him! Persecute!"

Just an example of enlightened religious debate from "Life of Brian"

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

In "Life of Brian", my personal favorite was the scene where Brian's mother was at the window and refused to answer the crowd regarding her sexual history. IMO a classic scene. (Leaving it somewhat in doubt for those who may not have seen it.)

Brad

• Schizm
    Schizm

What if World War One never happened?

Reading all these 1914 threads lately has made me think a lot more about my own feelings of the JW movement in the early years. Particularly how I feel they got kind of "lucky" that something BIG happened on whatever numbered prediction 1914 was for them.

As to how a person will answer your question, I think it all depends on whether or not the person's mind is biased. If the person is prejudiced against the WTS, then the person's answer will be similar to that of Alan's. On the other hand, if the person's mind is NOT biased then it's easy to see things in a different light. Allow me to explain:

Oops, I've unexpectedly got something else to have to go and attend to right at the moment. I'll return later in order to finish with what I was saying.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

World War1 was always going to happen from at least 10-15 Years before the actual event.The German naval build up to become the superpower of the day was infuriating to Britain.

Then in 1904 after the Entante cordiale between Britain and France suspicions were the order of the Day.All the old (and new)Alliances steeled themselves for an inevitable Conflict.

Maybe Russell got lucky on guessing the Year of the outbreak of war?

After all,it was always going to happen.(the War that is!)

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Having recognized that Schizm's delay in responding MUST be an act of God, I will take the opporunity to interject.

Schizm,

Before you finish your reply, please take into account that people can be biased AGAINST the JW's but their can also be bias FOR them.

Brad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit