Yeah der hey, Wisconsin is going to be the new Texas dontchya know!

by Winston Smith :>D 51 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws
    What we need is a full-blown apostafest at Summerfest.

Wow! I'd travel from Texas for that! I always go up there for Summerfest though...

Do they have a website up yet for Summerfest 2005?

http://www.summerfest.com/ is the official Summerfest website, but they don't have any info for 2005 up yet. Last year, the first concert announcement wasn't until mid-February and the schedule was mostly filled in by April.

Hey, they even have a webcam. Looks cold and damp today:

http://www.summerfest.com/attractions/webcam.php

• blondie
    blondie

I was just checking that myself. We usually go to the Fest if a group/individual we like is appearing. Last year, nada, so we went to Germanfest...great beer and music for a German girl like me.

I'll check around and see if they have booked anyone yet. Some of the smaller acts can be interesting too.

As long as it's not Metallica...

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

"Germanfest" - sounds interesting.

• blondie
    blondie

You'd like it GermanXJW. At one time Milwaukee was the 4th largest German (yes), German city in the world. They still have at least one if not 2 German newspapers. So Germanfest is a labor of love, to find your roots in the past, enjoy the food and beer of present.

http://www.germanfest.com/intro.html

You can find Turner's halls in many cities (Turnvereins).

• jws
    jws
    "Germanfest" - sounds interesting

It could be, if Milwaukee's Germanfest provided authentic German beer. Germanfest is on the Summerfest grounds, which are pretty much controlled by the major breweries in Wisconsin. Most of which make the standard american watered-down beer. The exceptions being Water Street Brewery (closed last Germanfest I was to) and Sprecher, which makes a special batch for GermanFest. It's not bad, but I prefer the authentic German brews.

Same goes for all the ethnic festivals in Milwaukee that happen at the Summerfest grounds. Think you could buy a Guiness at Milwaukee's IrishFest? Think again.

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, jws, after 6 or 7 beers, you think you are in Germany, anyway. If you want echtes, deutches bier, you have to travel to Germany. The stuff they export is nothing compared to drinking it in Germany.

• jws
    jws

I have to agree with blondie though. Milwaukee's Germanfest is a great ethnic festival. The booths showcase just about everything German. The entertainment (mostly local) is great! Many of Milwaukee's German restaurants set up shop there, so the food is authentic. Just not the beer.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Never been to one of our local ethnic festivals. That's a shame they don't serve authentic beer. Weird

Didn't realize that Miller held that much control over the other local festivals here.

Well, maybe we'll arrange a tour of some of the local breweries when the group comes.

I should go check those out before the group comes here so I know the best tours to take

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Blondie, no Metallica? Not my style either.

With the dozen or so stages at Summerfest, I'm sure we could find something that you & Irrev would be interested in

We really should arrange a tour of Calatrava's addition to the art Museum as well. That's a must see if you come to Milwaukee!

And then there's of course the beer:

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    CRR. You may have noticed I gave no mention to the Bucks & Brewers, as I see no mention to your Vikings.

I forget... who has the 0-2 record in the Viking/Packer match-ups this year?

See ya in Green Bay 1/9!

Winston, of the "I haven't watched a sports game in 2 years" class

Oh, but I did mention the Vikings.

Or else, just like this weekend, and just like anytime the Twins play the Brewers or the T-Wolves play the Bucks:

Field Goals can't save your asses forever :)

So how 'bout those Wisconsin hockey teams?

And I see the flatlanders decided to get into this too. Illinois isn't much better than Wisconsin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit