Kierkegaard on Abraham and Isaac: Blood

by dunsscot 41 Replies latest jw friends

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

DS: To dear "gadfly" fodeja,

fodeja: Oh, thank you - that was nice . But I don't deserve that title at all. I'm afraid I also don't think _you_ deserve that title, but hey, panta rhei.

DS: I know that I do not "deserve" the title. That's why I lovingly bestowed it on you. And while I know you're humble, modest, and self-effacing, I insist that you reconsider your relunctance--your sheer reticence!--to accept the descriptive term "gadfly" as your own. Why, in time, it could even become a rigid designator, if it is not already so.

BTW, thanks for the basic Heraclitean citation. All things are in a state of flux. How wonderful! But have you read the Heraclitean fragments in their entirety? I ask, because I'm having trouble translating a certain fragment, to wit, fragment 81. See what you can make of it, my dear fodeja: eimen te kai ouk eimen. Can you please tell me what Heraclitus is trying to communicate in this fragment? Thanks a bunch! This constituent is simpler than panta rhei. So you should have no problem with this construction.

DS: How do you know I did not recognize it? As I said earlier, flocci non facio.

Fo: Now c'mon, you wouldn't resist a chance to impress us with your wisdom, would you?

DS: After all of this time, Fodeja, and you still have not learned that I neither have wisdom nor knowledge. Nor am I trying to impress anyone. If only all men were aware of their ignorance in the same manner as I am! Then I could stop pestering you lovely people and get home to my wife, Xanthippe. Sorry, wrong philosopher.

DS: Exactly how much education do I have?

Fo: Far less than you'd like us to believe, I think.

DS: Can you read minds, hUIE? Or are you a "pop" psychologist like my good friend, AlanF? How do you know what I want you or anyone else here to believe? Have I told you what I want you to believe about my edjucation? Could you kindly show me where I have done such? What is education? Could you define the term you are employing?

Much appreciated,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• LDH
    LDH

Although I did not read every comment on the thread, I just wanted to point out something regarding Abraham/Isaac.

Jehovah did not allow Isaac to be sacrificed. Yet, daily JW kids are sacrificed.

The point of the exercise was to show faith. Is there no other way for JDubs to show faith than to allow their child to die?

What about JWs who don't have children, and so never have the chance to exercise their faith to that level. Are JWs who have children required to be more faithful than JWs who don't?

Lisa, who's apologizing if these points have been covered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit