Kierkegaard on Abraham and Isaac: Blood

by dunsscot 41 Replies latest jw friends

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

I'll respond to other posts after returning from the meeting this afternoon. But I just had to give an answer to my dear son, fodeja.

Fodeja, hUIE, how are you? You can now relax because the teacher is present. Shall we now begin our didactic session? I thought you'd say yes.

:Ich salutiere dem gelehrten Herrn,
    but your lack of simple thinking abilities and the basics of logic is showing more and more. But then, what's a troll to do?:

As I looking over your test paper, I find certain errors therein. But I'll be gentle as I correct your misapprehensions, my boy. Be patient as I do, hUIE.

You're right when you say I lack "simple thinking abilities," my thinking abilities far exceeed any type of simplicity. I in fact have very complex mental properties. So, you get a check mark here. But I must give you a low grade for your comment on logic. At this point, you fail to define adequately (really, at all!) your terms, hUIE. Your professor is confused. What do you mean by the term, "logic"? Are you referring to Aristotelian logic, modal logic, Hegelian logic, symbolic logic or are you thinking of Pascal's famed statement about the heart (KARDIA) and reason? Please specify which type of logic you're talking about, hUIE.

:In spite of all the puffery, your "reasoning" so far did not exceed the level of your average door-knocking Dub. Since many people here had been average door-knocking Dubs before, they see that. If you really have any formal philosophy education (I doubt it), why is your mumbo-jumbo exactly the same canned stuff Brother Windowcleaner tells uninterested householders when he's out in the field?:

Did you mean "did" above or "does"? Furthermore, why would you expect my "reasoning" to exceed that of "your average door-knocking Dub"? After all, does it not logically follow (in most formal logical systems) that if I am an "average door-knocking Dub," then my reason will not exceed a certain level, namely, that of your average door-knocking Dub? You tell me, oh wise hUIE.

:So, Dunstmann, here's your homework assignment: do a little research and find out what the infection risks are today (if you don't mind my Umgangssprache - didja look that up by now, oh grand exalted master of tongues?).:

Here's your homework assignment, hUIE. Make the needed corrections on your test paper and your professor will give you an A! Nice German, by the way, hUIOS MOU.

:f., still waiting for that good question or good answer of yours:

Isn't that ironic? I'm still waiting too.

Love,
    Herr Dann

Duns the Scot

• Maximus
    Maximus

Well, Feuerbacher is more delightful to read than Gooch or Rudolf Otto, so I put the book down. I bet you enjoyed Otto's notions regarding the Holy as I did, good Doctor Subtilis, and I would enjoy seeing your thoughts some time.

My post cavalierly dismissed you, but I've read the threads anyway. Dawned on me that you must have hardly anyone to talk to within the organization at an intellectually rather than emotionally satisfying level. I see AlanF reaching out to you; I hope you recognize that. You've been provided with some very good insights from several here--and some very specific inside information on which you can rely.

As has at least one other poster, I've picked up on the persona perfectly, understand it and have enjoyed its manifestation. When your own humanity pokes through, you are at your best. It's okay to be vulnerable.

You are not in enemy territory.

Maximus

• fodeja
    fodeja

Dannytroll,

After all, does it not logically follow (in most formal logical systems) that if I am an "average door-knocking Dub," then my reason will not exceed a certain level, namely, that of your average door-knocking Dub?

which, of course, was my point. Well observed. However, you didn't quite get the Umgangssprache thing - even though that's simple dictionary stuff.

Nice German, by the way, hUIOS MOU.

Thank you. But, how can you tell?

You apparently don't recognize a well-known quote from _the_ classic work of literature by an author who had significant impact on German thinkers (including some you are fond of quoting ad nauseam, specifically Hegel) and even German everyday language to this very day. Many frequently-used idioms of the language cannot be understood without knowing this work. That's why anyone with even less than half the education you claim to have should recognize the first words of Mephistopheles in Faust I. Just like everyone with a little bit of education will recognize the lines "to be, or not to be / that is the question / whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer / ...".

Too bad your fat dictionary couldn't tell you that.

f.

p.s.: I think you claimed to be proficient in a number of languages. Which, specifically?

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

To AlanF

AlanF:

To Dunsscot:
    AF: Abraham's actions were nothing of the kind. Since for true believers, whatever God says is ethical, is ethical, Abraham made no suspension of his ethics -- he changed his ethics due to God's command, just as surely as worshipers of Jehovah changed their ethics when they went from being under Jewish Law to being under Christian principles.:

DS: I will your address your voluntarist understanding of God as we progress.

AF: Readers will see that you do not.

DS: I did address it. But I may have to provide an expanded explanation for you to successfully process my previously written observations.

DS: For now I'll just say that I think there is a sense in which Abraham did indeed suspend the ethical to obey God. True, he did not violate any ethical laws to fulfill the divine directive concerning His Son. But my point is that Abraham suspended what seemed ethical for a higher telos.

AF: He didn't merely suspend it -- he substituted another for it. I pointed this out but you never address it.:

Abraham, I think, made an antisocial gesture that SEEMED unethical to outsiders. He did not "substitute" the ethical, but placed what men commonly viewed as ethical in a suspended state. Conversely, Kierkegaard also indicates that God's Will remained God's Will--even when He (God) told Abraham to slaughter his only-begotten Son. Therefore, onlookers could have thought he was DISOBEYING God when he as good as offered up Isaac.

DS: Certain scholars have pointed out that Kierkegaard meant Abraham performed what seemed to be an antisocial gesture in order to fulfill a religious commitment. Kierkegaard explicitly writes that Abraham showed himself willing to offer up Isaac for God and himself.

AF: I wish you'd quit prattling on about Kierkegaard and such wordly philosophers. Just state what you believe and why.

DS: First, I am not sure what I believe in this case. As I mentioned, I'm in process regarding this issue. Secondly, the apostle Paul asked, 'what do we have that we did not receive?' I thus give props to all those thinkers who preceded me. Sir Isaac Newton, whatever he meant by it, noted that if he could see any further than his contemporaries, it was because he stood upon the shoulders of giants.

DS: The command to offer up Isaac was not necessarily unethical. But if God would have allowed Abraham to go through with slaughtering His Son, that act could have been construed--indeed, may have been!--unjust.

AF: Why would it have been unjust? Isn't it true that JWs believe that the Bible teaches that the God-Abraham-Isaac story is an illustration and forerunner of what God actually did with his own Son? If the larger reality was just, then how could the smaller illustration of it -- even though uncompleted -- be unjust?

DS: In the pentateuchal account, God is clearly trying or testing Abraham (Genesis 22:1), and He prevents Abraham from murdering his OWN Son. In the NT telling of the divine Heilsgeschichte, it is not God who slaughters His Son, but the seed of Satan. God permits the Messiah to be crushed (Isaiah 53:10). But He does not "crush" or "make him sick" or even mortify him personally.

DS: and a modern JWs refusal to take blood. I even stated that I think blood tranfusions should be a matter of conscience, period.

:: You are to be commended for this stand. It could get you DA'd, you know.

DS: That's a consequence one has to live with for now. What happened to those persons who dared to defy wicked King Zedekiah or King Joash? I think you well know the answer to this question.

AF: Of course, and so I think you understand my point: the Governing Body is no different from those wicked kings, in that they all demand obededience to their persons over obedience to God, and punish those who obey God first.

DS: I understand your point, and disagree with it.

AF: But there is a big difference in the situations. According to the Bible, the Israelite nation was a special possession of God, not because of anything they themselves did, but because of God's ancient promise to Abraham. Indeed, if God was to fulfill his promise, he had no choice but to put up with a certain amount of Jewish misbehavior.

DS: God and Christ also put up with much Christian misbehavior in the first century (Rev 2-3).

AF: On the other hand, JW leaders claim to be in their positions not because of a promise made to one of their ancestors, but because JW (more properly, Bible Student) leaders from roughly 1880 to 1919 were so superior in every important way to other Christians that God selected them as his special earthly spokesmen.

DS: I do not think that your statement aptly describes the attitude of JW leadership. The Proclaimers book shows that other groups had a measure of the truth besides the Bible Students. But Russell thought that JWs were able to piece more of the biblical puzzle together through God's spirit. Russell and other men at that time believed that God's favor shone on them because of the scriptural understanding they had acquired. However, Russell was not haughty about the gems of truth available to the Bible Students at that time. I think the men presently serving on the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses also recognize that they are not a part of "God's Organization" because of what they have done. All sacred privileges flow from God's undeserved kindness and mercy. The truth emanating from Jehovah's holy mountain serves as evidence of God's blessing. It does not mean that we Witnesses are superior to anyone else.

AF: Indeed, they claim that in 1919 God appointed them "over all Christ's belongings".

DS: But what you're failing to mention is that the modern-day organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is viewed as a continuation of the first century arrangement. JWs do not simply contend that God appointed them ex nihilo or ex vacuo.

AF: Thus, a wicked Israelite king could have done nothing to negate his claim that his nation was God's special possession, but wicked JW leaders prove by their wicked actions that their claim of special appointment as God's spokesmen, as being heads over "God's people", as having special direction from God, and many other claims, are false. Indeed, since such leaders have over time completely determined the nature of the JW religion, their wicked actions prove that JWs are not "God's special people" at all, since JWs for the most part have voluntarily gone along with and given physical support to such actions.:

DS: I agree, in principle, with your statements about the Jews and their claim to divine favor. But how do you deal with the "wicked" leaders talked about in the NT? Am I to believe that the presence of "wicked" leaders" in the first century church prove that Christianity is false? Do you also contend that Christians in the first century were not God's people either, because of their "wicked" actions?

DS::: And to answer Jerry's question, if a Witness examines Scripture (thus listening to qol YHWH) and thinks that he or she can in all good conscience take blood or allow his or her child to have blood, then by all means, they should listen to their internal witness-bearer and the voice of YHWH.

AF:: Good! Why then, do you follow and give verbal support to men who declare wicked those who do exactly as you suggest? Here is an example of wicked men declaring the righteous one wicked.

DS: You want to construe life in terms of strict binary oppositions.

AF: Not at all. But in this situation the issue is a life and death matter, and is so clear that it most certainly is a binary proposition: the position of the GB is right, or it is wrong. Either taking a blood transfusion violates God's law, or it does not. There is no in-between.

DS: So do you feel the same way about abortions? Is abortion either right or wrong? Alternatively, do you think that abortion is a conscience matter? Do you think a woman has the right to make such decisions that affect her corpus?

DS: The fact of the matter is that while you want to say the WT leaders enforcing the "blood policy" are wicked and responsible for the death of innocent people, you are wrong to insist that one who commits a wicked deed or even wicked deeds is in fact wicked himself or herself. What is more, many doctrines are a matter of life and death. What about joining the military? Is that not a matter of life-and-death? Do you think its okay to join the army or navy? What about smoking? Is it alright to puff on "cancer sticks"?

: Wicked men declare the righteous wicked,

AF: This is not a proposition that I have set up -- it is one that your precious Bible has set up: "anyone pronouncing the righteous one wicked [is] ... something detestable to Jehovah." (Proverbs 17:15) Someone "detestable to Jehovah" is by definition wicked. Thus, my statement is strictly Bible-based.

DS: I think you're overlooking the fact that YHWH is a reasonable God. You cannot take such biblical statements at face value. James 3:17 says that the wisdom from above is, among other things, EPIEIKHS. Thucydides utilizes the Greek word EPIEIKHS to describe men who listen to reason. The Insight book also notes that the word indicates that a "reasonable" person does not go by the letter of the law.

I submit that God is reasonable and yielding in His actions. He does not see the world in terms of binary opposites, but recognizes that there are times when the "spirit" of the law must be followed.

To illustrate what I mean, look at Leviticus 20:10. According to that passage, an adulterer lying with an adulteress shall "surely" be put to death. Why then was David not put to death? Why did God allow both David and Bathsheba to live? Evidently, God must be reasonable in all of His affairs (EPIEIKHS).

: while righteous men do no such thing.

AF: A righteous man who declares the righteous wicked immediate becomes wicked -- according to the Bible. You don't like it? Argue with the Bible, not me.

DS: I think you are wrong, as the example of David shows. In the case of David, we have a righteous man who commits a wicked act. He does not by virtue of that act become wicked, anymore than a person who commits a crime becomes a criminal when he or she engages in the said crime.

: Life is not quite that way. Just as a righteous person can borrow money and not pay it back or lie and deceive, he or she is also capable of declaring the righteous one wicked.

AF We're not talking about capabilities. We're talking about accomplished acts. We're talking about how the Bible states God views someone who has declared the righteous one wicked.

DS: I am trying to help you to see, however, that you cannot rightly conclude that ANYONE declaring the righteous wicked becomes or is wicked. Do you apply this same line of reasoning to Proverbs 22:6? Do you think that if a child departs from the way he should go when he is older that a parent did not do what he or she was supposed to do? When you read Psalm 37:21, do you conclude that anyone borrowing money and not paying it back becomes wicked by virtue of his or her actions?

: Even if wicked men have declared the righteous one wicked, God will see to that!

AF: When? Before the wicked men do irreparable damage to people and to family relations? And please don't resort to that tired old saw about God fixing everything in the resurrection. If that notion had any validity, laws against murder and all other crimes would be meaningless.

DS: I trust that God will straighten everything that is crooked in His own due time. Until then, I'm trying to exercise patience. Every problem will NOT have to await the resurrection.

: This fact does not mean that I should reject the WTS.

AF: According to the Bible it does. If you willingly go along with men that the Bible explicitly states are wicked, you share in their sins. If you disagree, then prove to me from the Bible that I'm wrong.

DS: If my thoughts on the reaonableness of God are correct, then I should wait upon Jehovah to correct "wicked" overseers. Acts 20:28 has already warned us that such men would manifest themselves in the congregation.

DS:: But while Abraham's case is not identical with that of modern JWs, I think his case is analogous in a Thomistic sense.

:: Try using words that make sense to us simple folk.

DS: You could not resist, could you? Well, AlanF, you're much smarter than Dunsscot. I mean that in all insincerity. <G>

AF: Well that's an interesting response. I don't know you well enough to know what you're actually saying here.

My point is the same as from the beginning of this thread: if you want to be heard, don't use words and allusions that few understand, or that your readers have to work hard to understand.

DS: I can only say that language is evidently rooted in Dasein. Dasein both reveals itself and conceals itself. Besides, a little dictionary mining never hurt anyone.

:::: If Jehovah is the Supreme Creator who determines right and wrong, what is ethical and what is not, then by definition what he tells someone to do is right and ethical. Therefore, if Abraham had killed Isaac by God's command, it would have been ethical by definition.:

::: If a voluntarist delineation of God's nature is correct, THEN whatever Jehovah commands is right or wrong. But I'm not so sure the voluntarist is right when he or she contends that the voluntas of God takes precedence over the intellectus dei. Michael Gillespie's _Nihilism Before Nietzsche_ highlights the difficulties with positing a God who is omnipotent in a strict sense. The difficulties involved here can also be observed in Plato's "Euthyphro."

AF:: This is a large question, true, but it is irrelevant to the teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses, which after all is what you're on this board supporting. For JWs, your words are meaningless. If a standard of morality exists apart from God, then God did not make it. If such exists, then God of necessity must be obeying someone else -- whoever created that standard. But according to JWs, God is omnipotent and answers to no one else. That's pretty much what the Bible says, too.

: I don't think I typed that a "standard of morality exists apart from God."

AF: So what? It follows inevitably from the proposition that God has a choice between following and not following some moral standard that was not determined by God himself. This is elementary and I don't see why I have to explain it to you.

DS: It only follows if one thinks in a binary or two-valued fashion. I do not accept your formulation because Hegel shows us an alternative to your either/or reasoning.

AF: We have a simple truth: either God created the full moral fabric under which the sentient beings in our purvue operate, or he did not. If you admit he did, then you admit that what you call "voluntarism" is true. If not, then someone other than God created it. Who would that be? Or did this moral fabric arise of itself from a primordial moral soup? Plenty of other hard questions follow.

DS: The third option provided by Isaak Dorner (employing Hegel's dialectical triad) is that the "moral fabric" in which we live, move, and breathe--arises from the divine primal ethical that governs the will and intellect of God. In this way, the moral fabric is neither arbitary nor does it exist apart from God. It is a result of God's primal attribute.

: Of course, Plato's dialogue in the "Euthyphro" might suggest that I am grabbing that horn of the dilemma, but I am not.

AF: ???

DS: The "Euthyphro" shows there are evidently two dilemmas surrounding the nature of piety. In this Platonic dialogue, Socrates wonders whether the gods command that which is pious because they are pious, or because an act itself is pious. Thinkers have tried to solve the two-horned dilemma contained in the Euthyphro for years. But more to the point, your comments suggests that one has to grab one horn of this dilemma or another one. I think, however, that I can simultaneously present and grab a third "horn."

: William Lane Craig argues that God is necessarily good. Therefore, He can only enact righteous decrees.

AF: I don't give a rat's ass about William Lane Craig, but if as the Bible says, "God is good" is true in an absolute sense, then whatever decrees God enacts are necessarily and by definition righteous. But that is not the point here. The point is whether those decrees are righteous by some standard apart from God, or are righteous because God decreed them.

DS: I am arguing that righteous decrees are neither righteous by virtue of some standard apart from God nor because He necessarily enacts decrees in a righteous manner. God is Absolute Freedom. As such, He freely defines that which is just, righteous, and holy or pious. Therefore, Craig seems to be wrong when he insists God necessarily decides that which is righteous. God has free will, and uses it to determine what is either right or wrong.

AF: Let me put it another way: Which came first? God, or the moral standards?

DS: Maybe neither. But if I had to choose, I would say God. But your question may be faulty in nature.

: The only thing that I do not like about Lane's approach is his seeming contention that God has no choice when it comes to enacting righteous or unrighteous decrees. I personally think that God freely chooses that which is just, pious or holy on the basis of His just character and the primal ethical (love). That is, love is the divine primal attribute that governs the divine will and intellect.

AF: I think what you're saying is that an absolute standard of morality exists apart from God, but that God always freely chooses to act in accord with that standard. Thus, you're saying that God is not free to change that standard of morality.

DS: What I am suggesting is that such "abstract" concepts as justice, goodness, love, piety, and even time may have subsisted or obtained eternally as part of the divine nature itself. Thus, justice is a material value that does not exist apart from God, but nevertheless is objective in nature. Justice did not have an origin: God, who is everlasting, has always been just. But the mandate to "pursue justice" (for example) possibly emanated neither from the will or intellect of God alone; it actually derived from the dialectical movement in God Himself between the will, intellect, and primal ethical.

More germane for this discussion, however, is that God cannot change His standard. It is neither arbitrary nor is it based on a standard apart from God. But God formulates certain codes of conduct that are material in nature, and in accordance with human nature.

AF: Of course, you could say that God in his infinite wisdom planned long in advance that he was going to make such changes somewhere along the way, and thus that there was no real change in morality. But that's pretty well self-defeating, as a little thought will show you.

DS: I do not want to take the route you propose. See my answer above.

AF: Nevertheless, under the Law it was immoral for Jews to violate the Sabbath; Christians do not hearken to that morality. And it was moral for Jewish men to marry any number of women and to screw around with any number of concubines. According to God, it was moral. Your arguments don't change that and you've completely sidestepped this problem.

DS: As far as the Sabbath is concerned, read Hebrews 4:1-11. Can you show me, from the Bible, where God ever said it was moral to practice polygamy?

DS: Abraham might have obeyed, but I don't think that we would have a good reason to obey in similar circumstances.

AF: What? You're telling me that sometimes it's proper to disobey God? By what moral standard?

DS: I'm saying that with the knowledge that we have of God today, knowing what we know about His personality, we are justified if we act in accord with such knowledge. For instance, I know that God does not want child sacrifices. The prophet Micah makes this point clearly. So I do not think I would be expected to offer my child to God today with the evidence that lies before me.

: For instance, we now know that God does not desire human sacrifices. So if anyone told us that God wanted us to kill out child as a SACRIFICE, we would rightly repudiate such a request.

AF: Totally false. God could easily change his standards. He has done so before and he may well do it again.

DS: You have yet to show that God ever changes His standard (Psalm 33:11; Malachi 3:6). The examples above do not suffice. Only a voluntaristic God could change His standard. The God of the OT, as Dorner shows, is not such a God. For a helpful treatment of this subject, you might also consult Michael Gillepie's _Nihilism before Nietzsche_, who shows the difference btween the potentia ordinata and the potentia absoluta.

AF: More important to you as a claimed worshiper of God, if you knew that it was God himself who told you to do such a thing, would you obey God and show complete faith in him like Abraham did? Or would you prove faithless and do according to your own will?

DS: I would do neither. I would act in a way that is in harmony with God's revelation of Himself. HE (the Rock) says that He does not want His worshipers to sacrifice their children to Him. My God would never ask me to do such a thing. Put in even stronger terms, God would never ask me to sacrifice my child, if His revelation is authentic.

AF: Besides, who are you to become a law unto yourself and determine what God ought to do? You express chagrin at the thought of contradicting the Governing Body, but have no problem with the thought of contradicting God. Doesn't that prove that you, like most other JWs, put the mouthings of JW leaders above the commands of God?

DS: Who said I never contradict the Governing Body? While I am not trying to become a law unto myself, I do think that God provided revelation and the capacity of reason in order that His servants might know how they ought to walk before Him. I am not saying its right to contradict God. I am simply contending that we must act in harmony with the divine self-disclosure that is available to us.

::: This fact does not mean that an action is right because God commands it. Duns Scotus thought that if God commanded us to commit adultery, then marital infidelity would be permissible. I disagree in toto, pace Duns. If we favor such an interpretation of the divine potentia, we open up Pandora's box, and allow nihilism to run rampant.

:: So what? That's the way it is. Old Duns was right. God, being the creator, can declare any actions he pleases to be right. That he does so is demonstrable from Bible stories. It was just fine for patriarchs -- and certainly kings -- to have as many wives and concubines as they could handle. Such practices were regulated, but that does not negate the fact that, as implied by Jesus, God changed his standards for marital fidelity sometime between Adam and Abraham. The original was supposedly one man, one woman, period. The faithful among the patriarchs held strictly to the standards God set for them -- including screwing their wives' servants when their wives allowed it -- and so, if later Bible writers held these men up as paragons of morality, then they were righteous -- by definition!

: I've already shown why one need not accept the voluntarist construal of matters.

AF: No you haven't. You've merely alluded to the writings of a few worldly philosophers. I've shown why what you actually appear to be saying contradicts the Bible and common sense.

DS: In response to the last sentence here, no you have not.

: Concerning polygamy: Jesus did not say that God changed His standard to accomodate the patriarchs and Israel. He declared that Moses "suffered you to put away your wives : but from the beginning it was not so."

AF: You're talking about divorce, but I said nothing about divorce. Nor does polygamy have anything to do with divorce or with Jesus' words about divorce. That is why I specifically stated that my point was implied by Jesus. Obviously I have to explain this to you: Jesus stated: "Did you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh'? So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart." (Matthew 19:4-6) Obviously God's standard from the beginning was for one man and one woman to be married. Obviously by patriarchal times (only a couple of hundred years from the Flood at most by the Watchtower timetable) that standard had given way, with God's approval, to one man and many women. How and when that happened is irrelevant to my point, which is that God had one standard for mankind in Adam and Eve's day, and another in patriarchal times. Since that change occurred before Israel existed, Jesus' words about divorce and the Law are irrelevant.

DS: My point is that you cannot use Jesus' word to suggest God's standard changed, for it did not. Show me biblically where God ever approved of polygamy.

Continued in next post,
    Dan

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Continued:

:: Conversely, if God declared that from now on marriage was a dead institution (new scrolls opened and all that), and men and women should be like bonobos and free have sex with whoever they pleased, what humans could properly tell him that he had set up an improper standard? You? Me? Not likely. JW leaders and other Pharisees? More than likely.

DS: First, your example is purely speculative thought that is far removed from reality.

AF: Not at all removed from reality. God obviously went from one standard at Adam's creation to another standard by patriarchal times and back to the old standard in Jesus' day. If the standard went to 'one man, many women', why not to 'many men, many women'?

DS: You have yet to demonstrate that there was a change in God's standard. Care to offer any "proof" (apodictic or otherwise)?

: Secondly, if values are in fact material, then premarital sex is wrong, period.

AF: What? Premarital sex was not said to be wrong until Jesus' day, according to everything we read in the Bible. What was wrong in patriarchal times and for the Israelites was not premarital sex in and of itself, but extra-marital sex when a man's property rights were violated. The Old Testament standards about adultery and extra-marital sex were entirely about the property rights of men, not about sexual propriety.

DS: Genesis 2:21-24 shows that God originally willed that sex relations be confined to marriage. Genesis 39:7-12 also shows that extramarital sex in and of itself was considered wrong in God's eyes from the beginning. Furthermore, consult Deuteronomy 22:13-21. It shows that a woman, who lost her virginity before marriage, was considered a reproach to her family.

AF: The story about Judah and Tamar is a good proof of my point. Judah was married and was obviously accustomed to fooling around with prostitutes and the Bible does not condemn him for it.

DS: I think your use of the term "accustomed" reads something into the text that is not there.

AF: Indeed, the account relates that God himself killed two of Judah's sons for the 'crime' of failing to fulfill brother-in-law marriage, so if God thought that Judah's actions were really bad, he would have killed him too.

DS: Why didn't God kill David, in view of Leviticus 20:10? Are you also going to tell me that God approved of Lot's actions with his daughters after the cities of Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed?

AF: That Judah was so accustomed is implied by the story: Tamar knew enough about Judah's habits to know that if she disguised herself as a temple prostitute and made herself available on the road, Judah would take the bait. It would be stretching credulity to claim that Tamar would try such a thing unless she knew it had a good chance of working. Also, Judah's Adullamite companion happily cooperated with Judah in trying to pay for his dalliance.

DS: You overlook the fact, however, that Judah also commanded Tamar be put to death when he thought she was whoring around with other men. The stealth way the payment was made also suggests Judah did not commonly lie with prostitutes.

AF: Furthermore, the story does not condemn Tamar for having extra-marital relations. Indeed, Judah admits that she was justified in her conduct, because of the far more important "moral principle" of brother-in-law marriage.

DS: Actually, the story does not condemn Tamar for taking steps to obey the law concerning brother-in-law marriage. It clearly indicates prostitution is wrong.

AF: What's the deal with that? By Christian standards, the divinely-approved practice of brother-in-law marriage amounts to adultery. It's another illustration of God's radically changed moral standards, in that at one time God held that the right of a man to leave offspring bearing his name was more important than future Christian sexual standards.

DS: You have yet to show that God ever APPROVED of such conduct. He permitted it, yes. That's not the same thing as approving of it.

AF: And what about the righteous Samson? He visited and obviously dallied with Philistine prostitutes and yet remained highly approved by God. In this case property rights were not being violated because Samson was not married and neither were the prostitutes.

DS: Proverbs 29:3 shows that one is unwise to cavort with prostitutes. While its possible Samson "dallied" with ladies of the evening, the Bible never explicitly says that he did so. Again, can you produce any biblical proof of such?

AF: A careful analysis of the rest of the OT and of the Mosaic Law shows that almost all of the laws about extra-marital sex had to do either with property rights, or avoiding incest. They have nothing to do with the Christian standard of sexual morality.

DS: See the examples I listed above. And while you're at it, take a look at Deut 17:14.

: Furthermore, I think the Roman Catholics have a valid point when they talk about human "nature." God evidently made our bodies to function in a certain manner. If we try to use our bodies in an unnatural way (not in accord with their nature), we could have major problems. At present, the preponderance of evidence indicates that it is unnatural to be promiscuous or have sex outside of marriage. Why would God command that which would causes humans problems because it is unnatural for them?

AF: What evidence shows that such is unnatural? If it were unnatural, then how do you explain the success of the patriarchal system, one that was largely based on polygamy? If it were so bad, then why did God approve of it?

DS: Again, I reiterate, God NEVER approved of polygamy, and saying its so does not make it so. Additionally, certain psychologists have now shown that premarital sex is not conducive to good relationships or stable emotional and psychic health. What is more, Deut 22:13-21 shows a girl's virginity was commonly prized in ancient Israel. This verse does not deal with property rights as such. Neither does the example of Dinah in Genesis 34.

Lastly, polygamy is not the same as premarital sex. At least there is a family structure in polygamous arrangements in case children are produced in the union. There is no such structure when two people are having casual sex. 1 Thessalonians 4:1-3 also exhorts us to abstain from fornication, period.

DS: True, one could argue that snake-handlers carry out their activities on the basis of a questionable biblical text, and go on to point out that JWs base their decisions concerning blood transfusion on an equally questionable Bible principle.

AF: That is the point.

DS: The difference, however, is that the Witnesses do not base their doctrine on one text. What is more, there are no significant textual critical issues involving the passages used by the Witnesses to support their doctrine.

: But JWs do not intentionally put their children in jeopardy by walking into a den of snakes and handling such serpents around their children. Some event has to occur before the issue of blood transfusions even comes up in the life of a JW. The JW then makes a decision based on certain factors.

AF: So what? The Society has arranged things so that JWs make an advance decision not to have certain forms of blood transfusion no matter what. If a bad situation never arises, they've beaten the odds. But if they find themselves in a life-threatening situation where blood is the only alternative, then they have just as surely put themselves in harm's way as have the snake handlers.

DS: You're now comparing apples and oranges, AlanF.

AF: This point bears repeating: Jehovah's Witnesses and certain other Christian groups intentionally put themselves in harm's way based on nothing more than an extremely questionable interpretation of the Bible.

DS: "Questionable," in your eyes.

DS: What is more, refusing to take a blood transfusion is not necessarily death-dealing. It may be life-giving. I cannot say that for a snake bite.

AF: So what? We're not talking about medical situations where blood is considered an option. We're talking about situations where the majority medical opinion is that the patient will die quickly without blood. Situations like when a person's blood is gushing out onto the ground after a bad auto accident and it falls below the critical level. A snake bite is not necessarily fatal either, but does that in any way justify putting children in harm's way?

DS: Do you think there are some things worth dying for in this life, AlanF? I certainly do. What is more, let's say you are right and the GB is wrong. How would you feel if your child contracted an incurable death-dealing disease because you allowed him or her to have blood? We both have to live with the choices we make for ourselves and our children. I think Witnesses should be allowed to act in good faith, just as I think Christian Scientists have the right to refuse medical treatment for their children. But they must live with the consequences of their choice, just as I have to.

AF: Actually, your response here shows your inability to see your religion's double standards at work. You see the flaw in other religions but are unable to see the same flaw in your own. Do you understand why that is?

DS: It could be for the same reason I am not inclined to see the flaws in my mate that other folks see.

::: Lastly, I find it ironic that those who worry so much about the POTENTIAL death of a child who refuses blood transfusions do not care enough about the spiritual welfare of their children to teach them spiritual and ethtical guidelines. Some parents even smoke in front of their children or abuse alcohol. They also fail to teach them biblical truth or transcendent values as a whole. Are they any better than Witnesses who MAY permit their children to die if suitable alternatives to blood cannot be found?

:: Who are you to judge what is right for others to teach their children? Can you prove apodictically that God exists, that this God is the God of the Bible, and so on? No? Then don't judge those who act responsibly on that knowledge.

: While I cannot irrefutably"prove" that God exists, no one can "prove" (apodictically) that He does not exist.

AF: Precisely. So arguing that either belief ought to be the basis for some absolute moral standard is unjustifiable. Your beliefs amount to exactly that -- beliefs and opinions.

DS: You're guilty of a non sequitur here, AF. You cannot rightly conclude that because a belief is non-apodictic, one cannot use it as the basis for an absolute standard. People rightly do such with refutable beliefs all of the time. If you don't read any book I've recommended, I beg you to read Kelly J. Clark's _Return to Reason_. Particularly, pp. 126ff of this book. There, Clark discusses noetic structure, showing that we all possess a number of basic and non-basic beliefs. There are even beliefs that we all commonly use to establish absolute standards. Why, the very belief in reason, is just that. G.K. Chesterton well said that reason is an act of faith. Yet many on this board demand logical, well-reasoned arguments, thus establishing a standard (absolute?) for this board. The same principle applies to mathematical beliefs (both basic and non-basic ones).

: But, as Plantinga has shown, belief in God could be viewed as basic.

AF: And Feuerbacher has shown that unbelief in God could be viewed as basic.

AF: So what?

DS: Indeed, unbelief in God is probably basic, in that it is not "based" on anything substantial.

: There could be as much evidence for belief in God as there is for belief in other minds.

AF: "Could be's" are a dime a dozen.

DS: My point exactly when it comes to atheism.

DS: Since you like to quote Scripture, you might enjoy reviewing Hebrews 3:4.

AF: Ah, very good. All sentient beings are constructs. Who then, constructed God?

DS: Plantinga insists that belief in God is as basic AS 2 + 2 = 4. Davies also explains why your move does not work per se. I'm sure you've seen or read his book, "The Mind of God."

:: More important for our present discussion, though, is that you're raising another red herring. The propriety of the JW position on blood has nothing to do with the living habits of anyone -- including those who choose to discuss the issue.

: I think one's living habits have a lot to do with the issue of blood transfusions.

AF: That position is nonsensical. It is easy to disprove by exhaustive process of elimination:

Does the propriety of the JW position on blood have anything to do with the living habits of Sadaam Hussein? No.
    Does it have anything to do with the living habits of George Bush? No.

DS: You're now seeking to skew the argument. Did I say that living habits had any bearing on the propriety on the JW belief regarding blood transfusions? Maybe I did. But I don't think so. My point was that it seems hard to understand how folks who engage in activites that show they actually support a death culture, can turn around and protest the JW practice of refusing blood transfusions.

AF: Since the living habits of no single person have anything to do with the propriety of the JW position on blood, it follows that the propriety of the JW position on blood has nothing to do with the living habits of anyone -- including those who choose to discuss the issue. QED

DS: And since I never said that one's habits have anything to do with the propriety of blood transfusions, you can your delete your QED.

AF: Clearly, my personal habits have nothing to do with the Society's position on blood. Nor do yours, nor those of anyone else on this forum.

DS: Our living habits have a lot to do with the stance we take in the debate. One who supports a death culture cannot rightly castigate those who favor the death penalty. Similarly, IMHO, those who expose their children to death-dealing practices and engage in such themselves cannot rightly (unhypocritically) denigrate JWs for abstaining from blood in the way they see fit.

:: As the apostle Paul was asked, dunsscott, why do you keep kicking against the goads? The answer to "the question of blood and JWs" is obvious and you know it. Why not act on your gut, follow through, and do the right thing?

: I may see things your way one day, AlanF. But remember what James 1:19 says: "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

AF: That's a good rule to live by. It took me seventeen years from the point where I first realized that the Society is fallible to get to the point of acting on it and ceasing to preach the JW version of the gospel. It took another ten to realize that the Society's leaders are irredeemable and thoroughly unchristian. It took another five to admit that I had been completely taken in by a cult. But I didn't have the advantages you do, such as the Internet and a large community of people who had already 'been there'. When you finally see the light, you'll be surprised at what else you find. Many have found for the first time in their lives that they have friends they know they can count on, friends who won't abandon them at the first sign of disagreement with some silly religious view. Do your JW companions allow others that freedom? Not likely. Most JWs simply don't know what real freedom and friendship are. Their view of them is like that of a man in a desert who has heard that green pastures exist over the next hill, but who never quite manages to get over that hill.

DS: I have a number of JW friends with whom I freely disagree. There are friends in the WT organization that would also die for me and I for them. Moreover, I enjoy the relative peace that obtains among JWs and the advances they have made in race relations. What is more, they refuse to war against and murder their fellowman or woman. Have you found such friends like this in the world?

Best,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

To dear "gadfly" fodeja,

Nice German, by the way, hUIOS MOU.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F: Thank you. But, how can you tell?

DS: I do read a LITTLE German. I gots to in the work I do.

F: You apparently don't recognize a well-known quote from _the_ classic work of literature by an author who had significant impact on German thinkers (including some you are fond of quoting ad nauseam, specifically Hegel) and even German everyday language to this very day. Many frequently-used idioms of the language cannot be understood without knowing this work.

DS: How do you know I did not recognize it? As I said earlier, flocci non facio.

F: That's why anyone with even less than half the education you claim to have should recognize the first words of Mephistopheles in Faust I. Just like everyone with a little bit of education will recognize the lines "to be, or not to be / that is the question / whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer / ...".

DS: Exactly how much education do I have? Did I not say I am completely devoid of any GNWSIS? I think you just enjoy biting at my heels, hUIE.

F: Too bad your fat dictionary couldn't tell you that.

DS: How do you know that it did not? Don't you think I have a Guhrman dictionary on my shelf? What kinda GNWSIS-less fool do you think I is? BTW, where are the corrections for your test paper, my friend? You never did tell me what kinda logic you mean, nor did you point to any invalid or unsound arguments in my posts.

Lastly, I speak a number of different languages incompletely and unfluently. I may not even be an English speaker. Then again, I could be. I really hopes this post helps in some way.

Christian love,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Dave,

You write:

:Ya see poor old Soren was a product of mental abuse handed down by his devoutly religious farther. Much like himself Soren's daddy suffered from constant bouts with depression. This was from his self destructive psychological problem of believing he was born into sin and could never measure up to anything that would result in the salvation of his own soul.
    Soren's dad was a real downer and that resulted in little Soren following in his fathers foot steps and being pissed off at life. This was one of the first examples of the so called modern philosophers suffering from the catch 22 syndrome. Soren loved his dad and had come to realize that his feelings about life being shit stemmed from this love for his bummer of a dad.:

I actually liked your exposition of Kierkegaard and the brief story of his life you related. I'm also thankful that you brought in Nietzsche to balance the scales. After all, as one of my old psych professors used to say, you cannot (rightly) infer causality from correlation. I think a sagacious guy like you readily knows what that means. So I really do not believe that will appeal to childhood trauma to show why most (all?) people adhere to a certain--any?--religious framework, are you? Surely you're not suggesting that JWs remain such because they have/had overweening daddies.

Freud had a pretty dim view of religion, but his buddy, C.G. Jung did not. The overbearing, dominant father explanation does not work for most religions, and I think it also fails to provide the aetiological reasons why Duns or any other theonomous subject remains in the JW organization.

Your exegesis is in fact patriarchal in nature. The female psychoanalysts have exposed the vapidity of such an approach. It implies that daddy influences the child without the help of mama. When you add other Freudian patriarchal elements to the mix, one finds that Freud's wish-fulfillment theory has been weighed in the balance and found wanting. Here's a quote for you, my friend. I hope you relish this astute observation:

"Freud has undermined his project of discrediting religion. For if God is a heavenly father to whom we transfer the longing and admiration we feel for our earthly fathers, he will also be the object of our fear and, as we shall see, hatred. If belief can be seen as a wish-fulfilling illusion grounded in our longing for protection and help, disbelief can just as easily be seen as a wish-fulfilling illusion expressing our rebellion against the father's supremacy . . . As Dostoyevsky pointedly remarks during the trial scene in the Brothers Karamazov, the psychological argument cuts both ways. We are left with no way of using the notion of wish-motivated beliefs to test whether religious beliefs are true or not" (Merold Westphal).

Keep the popcorn warm,
    Dan

"You cannot infer causality from correlation!"

• larc
    larc

Duns,

With a sample of one, it is not possible establish a correlation, let alone causation.

Regarding Freud, his theories have been discarded by most pscycologists and psychiatrists today. His idea of the defense mechanisms, which were published by his daughter Anna, have some merit. Also, his idea of unconscious mechanisms has support. However, his theories of pychotherapy, child development, and personality do not have support.

Today, behavioral scientists don't comment on God, at least as scientists, because it is outside of the domain of science. They have studied the effects of different belief systems on behavior. What they have found is not surprising. People who believe that God is loving and merciful are happier and live longer than people that believe that God is jealous, judgemental and vengeful. Again, this is no surprise, but interesting to know.

• fodeja
    fodeja
    To dear "gadfly" fodeja,

Oh, thank you - that was nice . But I don't deserve that title at all. I'm afraid I also don't think _you_ deserve that title, but hey, panta rhei.

DS: How do you know I did not recognize it? As I said earlier, flocci non facio.

Now c'mon, you wouldn't resist a chance to impress us with your wisdom, would you?

DS: Exactly how much education do I have?

Far less than you'd like us to believe, I think.

BTW, where are the corrections for your test paper, my friend? You never did tell me what kinda logic you mean, nor did you point to any invalid or unsound arguments in my posts.

Well, first of all, I've given my test paper to someone I really accept as a teacher. And, excuse me, where did you use "arguments" (save "arguments from authority" and "proof by intimidation")?

Well, whatever, nevermind. You actually remind me very much of a person on another ex-JW board some time ago. His initial appearance was very similar to yours. It took quite a while, but then he (or maybe, she? I think it never became clear) turned out to be a nice, intelligent, educated witty person with a great sense of humour. I guess somehow he or she lost a lot of overblown ego on the way (which is harder than losing weight, but definitely more rewarding!). I hope you're not the same person, but maybe things will work out in a similar way? We'll see.

f.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Maximus,

:Well, Feuerbacher is more delightful to read than Gooch or Rudolf Otto, so I put the book down. I bet you enjoyed Otto's notions regarding the Holy as I did, good Doctor Subtilis, and I would enjoy seeing your thoughts some time.:

I'll be glad to discuss Otto's insights regarding the Holy, the mysterium tremendum et fascinans. You might also like to know that there are a number of expositions of Otto's work that elucidate his concepts somewhat. I personally think that Otto and Tillich have provided two of the best extra-biblical definitions of religion. Both men employed formulations that are broad enough to encompass almost all relgions in their grand diversity. Furthermore, when one beholds examples of the Holy (the awesome and fascinating mystery) in Islam or Hinduism, it is a truly peerless experience one will not soon forget.

:My post cavalierly dismissed you, but I've read the threads anyway. Dawned on me that you must have hardly anyone to talk to within the organization at an intellectually rather than emotionally satisfying level. I see AlanF reaching out to you; I hope you recognize that. You've been provided with some very good insights from several here--and some very specific inside information on which you can rely.:

I agree with much of what you say here.

:As has at least one other poster, I've picked up on the persona perfectly, understand it and have enjoyed its manifestation. When your own humanity pokes through, you are at your best. It's okay to be vulnerable.:

Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from, Maximus. I've actually included a number of personalities in the mix, and I'm having fun. At the same time, I am deadly serious.

I am motivated to post here because of the continual negativity I have seen manifested on this board. I think one can legitimately gripe about the WTS in a way that is constructive (not destructive). One CAN build up without tearing down the whole structure: The picture is not entirely bleak. Anyone who postulates such a notion is being neither fair nor honest. While I can even understand the effects of religious abuse on the human psyche (the power that religion has on the human psyche is an intriguing area that anyone who has studied Plato or the Orphic movement in earnest can attest to) , I think there comes a time when we have to realize the locus of control can be internal: We can rise above any negative experiences we may have had with ANY religious organization in the past. But I know that some persons may have recently left the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses and may still perceive the world in a certain way as a result. Every autonomous subject must live with the choices he or she makes (an allusion to Sartre and Heidegger).

In addition to the aforestated reasons for being present here, I also notice that some people on this board tend to think that atheism is not a belief. They sit on their spiritual fannies, smug in their unbelief, while they challenge theists to "prove" (apodictically?) the actual existence of a Deity.

Plantinga and other Reformed epistemologists, however, has shown that there are a number of beliefs that are properly basic, and belief in God may also properly be considered "basic." But, as Paul Davies and John Barrow seem to realize, belief in mathematics or the belief that 2 + 2 = 4 could also be properly basic. In other words, it seems that a number of atheists here are not aware of their own preunderstandings that filter the "facts" they think they have to disprove or show the implausibility of God's existence. I'm asking them to reconsider their position.

Lastly, the same principle stated above can apply to one who adamantly criticizes the WTS. Maybe the WTS is wrong and you (the JW opposer) are right. But might things actually be reversed? Could it be possible that the Witnesses are correct in their stance overall, and you (the JW antagonist) are overlooking lines of proof in the evidentiary chain that point to the alethic nature of JWs?

Duns the Scot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit