Kierkegaard on Abraham and Isaac: Blood

by dunsscot 41 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

You're comparing apples and oranges, dunsscot, when you compare a direct command from God to Abraham, to an arguable interpretation of the Bible by the Watchtower Society. TD's comments are dead on.

If Jehovah is the Supreme Creator who determines right and wrong, what is ethical and what is not, then by definition what he tells someone to do is right and ethical. Therefore, if Abraham had killed Isaac by God's command, it would have been ethical by definition.

Various pagans around Israel interpreted their holy writings or whatever so as to understand that their God or gods required child sacrifice. Yet the Bible says of its God that such a horrible thing never came up into his heart.

The JWs interpret their holy writings so as to understand that their God requires that they sacrifice their children on the altar of their 'no blood' doctrine. Yet nothing in the Bible indicates that revering the symbol of life over life itself ever came up into Jehovah's heart.

AlanF

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

Ah, yes, Abraham. Who heard qol YHWH, the voice of God, for himself.

If I hear the voice of God through Scripture, must I not obey it? Is it not "sin" for me if I do not? You have not addressed my previous simply put questions.

Does anyone really think that the Governing Body hears the actual voice of God today? Ask them individually and they will tell you they do not. They generalize about His spirit on the organization, point to buildings, property and past "growth" as evidence of blessing. Yet ONE GB vote can make the difference between what is to be brutally enforced by shunning or what is merely a line of reasoning. They are not unanimous on life-and-death matters, hardly a clarion voice of God.

The blood policy is just that. Embryonic? Hardly. It's been evolving for decades. An ill chosen metaphor. Surely you must understand that a real battle is going on internally among both GB and top decision-makers, not to let a doctrine come to full growth but to change it. Period.

It is not God, but the governing body that asks me to suspend my own clear hearing of the voice of God with regard to letting my child die LITERALLY in some SYMBOLIC grand gesture of respect for the sanctity of life. If I listen to qol YHWH, I will be punished by countless family members, my life ripped apart. This is not a philosophic issue being discussed in vacuo.

You've evidenced good reasoning on a number of points, but to trot out Kierkegaard on Abraham completely obfuscates and misses the point. A red herring, actually. I detest that when the Watchtower purposely does that as well.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

AlanF writes:

:You're comparing apples and oranges, dunsscot, when you compare a direct command from God to Abraham, to an arguable interpretation of the Bible by the Watchtower Society. TD's comments are dead on.:

I have pointed out in other posts that I am in process when it comes to the Governing Body's understanding of blood transfusions. Of course, I recognize that there is a difference between Abraham's suspension of the ethical and a modern JWs refusal to take blood. I even stated that I think blood tranfusions should be a matter of conscience, period. And to answer Jerry's question, if a Witness examines Scripture (thus listening to qol YHWH) and thinks that he or she can in all good conscience take blood or allow his or her child to have blood, then by all means, they should listen to their internal witness-bearer and the voice of YHWH. But while Abraham's case is not identical with that of modern JWs, I think his case is analogous in a Thomistic sense.

:If Jehovah is the Supreme Creator who determines right and wrong, what is ethical and what is not, then by definition what he tells someone to do is right and ethical. Therefore, if Abraham had killed Isaac by God's command, it would have been ethical by definition.:

If a voluntarist delineation of God's nature is correct, THEN whatever Jehovah commands is right or wrong. But I'm not so sure the voluntarist is right when he or she contends that the voluntas of God takes precedence over the intellectus dei. Michael Gillespie's _Nihilism Before Nietzsche_ highlights the difficulties with positing a God who is omnipotent in a strict sense. The difficulties involved here can also be observed in Plato's "Euthyphro."

:Various pagans around Israel interpreted their holy writings or whatever so as to understand that their God or gods required child sacrifice. Yet the Bible says of its God that such a horrible thing never came up into his heart.:

We both know, I think, that the God of Moses (the writer of the Pentateuch) did not want Abraham to sacrifice his beloved son. As you rightly point out, such sacrifices never came up into His heart. This fact does not mean that an action is right because God commands it. Duns Scotus thought that if God commanded us to commit adultery, then marital infidelity would be permissible. I disagree in toto, pace Duns. If we favor such an interpretation of the divine potentia, we open up Pandora's box, and allow nihilism to run rampant.

:The JWs interpret their holy writings so as to understand that their God requires that they sacrifice their children on the altar of their 'no blood' doctrine. Yet nothing in the Bible indicates that revering the symbol of life over life itself ever came up into Jehovah's heart.:

You may be correct, but I think you're only telling part of the story. JWs do not have a death wish for their children. They do everything in their power to give their children, happy and content lives. Furthermore, the JW life by its very nature is life-promoting. Lastly, I find it ironic that those who worry so much about the POTENTIAL death of a child who refuses blood transfusions do not care enough about the spiritual welfare of their children to teach them spiritual and ethtical guidelines. Some parents even smoke in front of their children or abuse alcohol. They also fail to teach them biblical truth or transcendent values as a whole. Are they any better than Witnesses who MAY permit their children to die if suitable alternatives to blood cannot be found?

If God permitted the slaying of the innocents in the first century, and he allows abortions today and so many other evils, why would He not permit His worshipers to make certain decisions that mean life or death?

Duns the Scot

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Jerry,

You write:

:The blood policy is just that. Embryonic? Hardly. It's been evolving for decades. An ill chosen metaphor. Surely you must understand that a real battle is going on internally among both GB and top decision-makers, not to let a doctrine come to full growth but to change it. Period.:

My metaphors involving the embryo and fetus do not apply to the blood doctrine alone. What is more, I do not think I stated what stage the doctrine is in its development. True, the Society's understanding of blood transfusions has been developing for decades. But my point is that oftentimes, the Governing Body (or Society) may look at a particular issue and misjudge the stage of the issue. This principle does not simply apply to blood.

:It is not God, but the governing body that asks me to suspend my own clear hearing of the voice of God with regard to letting my child die LITERALLY in some SYMBOLIC grand gesture of respect for the sanctity of life. If I listen to qol YHWH, I will be punished by countless family members, my life ripped apart. This is not a philosophic issue being discussed in vacuo.:

Greg Stafford once told me that I must be willing to accept whatever punishments come my way when it comes to obeying God or men. The apostle Paul was willing to endure discomfort and travails for Christ's sake. Should we not be willing to do the same? God reads your heart and knows those who belong to Him. I think Stafford also believes that the choice to accept or abstain from taking a blood transfusion is really a conscience matter. If so, I agree. But I personally do not want to take blood. You may choose to do what you want, however. Nevertheless, I'd like to ask you, do you think there are certain dangers associated with taking blood?

Sincerely,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I smell the stench of troll, and listen, it's invoking the name of Greg Stafford! (I TOLD you I knew they were peas in the same gasbagging pod... it does suck to always be right )

Now, dunny, ask Greg to explain his little faux pas at Waterworld; he rationalizes his asininity with stunningly flatulent obfuscation, you may appreciate the nuances of his disclaimers.

Dunny, you are a genuine laugh riot! You go in the file with You Know to be forwarded to my Jdub sisters! They love to be apprised of how their best defenders fare in their clandestine Internet jousting.

oh my aching sides! If laughter is the best medicine, is it possible to overdose? Keep posting this brand of fatuous drivel and we may find out...

Love and sloppy smooches,
    Mommie Dark
    (smirking as she imagines the Bethel spies reading these threads)

• julien
    julien
    Nevertheless, I'd like to ask you, do you think there are certain dangers associated with taking blood?

What does this have to do with anything. Just going under general anethesia is dangerous and could kill you. So is driving a car, eating fatty foods, etc etc.. So what's your point?

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

<Nevertheless, I'd like to ask you, do you think there are certain dangers associated with taking blood?>

Absolutely. I came out of a surgery with a hemoglobin of 7.7 because I took no blood. But that was for MEDICAL not SCRIPTURAL reasons from my hearing qol YHWH through Scripture.

Right now JW theology is weighted toward the medical and is not doing a very good job of that either. (Its new video does not address many situations such as sudden trauma in which packed red cells may be life-saving, and some physicians have said the film is downright insulting.) The Society has not refuted the material at http://www.jwbloodreview.org.

They merely restate their position without addressing the issues. They say that if a blood policy "adjustment" is to be made, Jehovah will do so in His good time. Meantime we should wait, be humble. They are in a holding position, and keen observers--and participants--know it.

There many be benefits from avoiding shellfish as well, but good Lord we're talking about life-or-death situations involving babies who have no voice!

I do not hear God's voice giving me a test, I hear the Governing Body telling me that if I do not obey them they will brutally punish me and my family simply for "running ahead." Yes, I can separate myself. What an enormous price to pay! Is that the message of the Christ?

Dunsscot, there are quite a few on this board who have been part of the organization for MANY decades. We're not stupid. Some of us watched persons DIE during the period of time between acceptance of Factor VIII and the too-long period of time before it was officially announced.

We're watching a Governing Body defend an emotional position they've staked out that is blurred by their misunderstanding of physiology and medicine, and we see all the signs--and internal leaks--that indicate they hope to hang on for a few more years when "blood substitutes" will save the day--and save face. Many at the top know that is wishful thinking at best.

THAT'S IN THE FIELD OF MEDICINE, NOT SCRIPTURE,
    AND THAT'S NOT THEIR PURVIEW!

What's coming back to bite them in the posterior is that the GB has made decisions in every area of human life, accumulating a veritable Talmud. Only in hindsight has it become clear to top decision-makers that this is an enormous liability, from many standpoints.

How to appear less hierarchical, and yet maintain control. 'Equipped for every good work'? No, the elders are termed "untrained volunteers" when it suits the Society's legal purposes. Inconsistent?

Call up the BioPure corporation, and ask them if Jehovah's Witness reps did not assist them in development and "marketing" of HemoPure, the hemoglobin fraction from cow's blood, now "acceptable," kosher, according to the Society rabbis. Ask BioPure if they had advance notice of the w 10/15/00 QFR on blood. Ask if they know this was PURPOSEFULLY obfuscating? Ask them if the Society has stock in their company or owns part of it.

Hear me well: the truth will out.

I agree with you that such ones are reprehensible who misuse their authority no matter how well cloaked it may be.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Jerry and Julien,

You make some valid points that one does well to consider. But IMHO the blood issue does not only affect little babies. Appealing to cases of little infants or toddlers who have died or who might die from not receiving blood transfusions is an emotional tactic, IMHO. I am not saying that you are using this manuever to intentionally cloud the issue. Nevertheless, I think you are not looking at the big picture and only telling part of the story.

When I talked about dangers associated with blood transfusions, my point was--what do you think about a parent who allows his or her child to contract a disease from contaminated blood. We both know that there are certain risks connected with taking blood products. Admittedly, I'm no doctor or biologist. But the health factor alone makes me want to abstain from blood. But would you be upset with a parent who allowed their child to contract AIDS from contaminated blood, as some parents have done?

Lastly, what if the GB is right in this matter? What if God really does disapprove of blood transfusions? I personally think the matter deserves more study, prayer, and meditation. In the meantime, parents should do what they think is best for their children.

Sincerely,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

You are avoiding the issue. Did you not read what I said? I chose NOT to take a transfusion for MEDICAL reasons!

Blood and health risks are MEDICAL concerns. We understand this in an enlightened society. You are not keeping up with medical progress, a subject I need not go into here, with regard to blood safety. But this is MEDICAL.

The Governing Body should concern itself with SCRIPTURAL issues.

Right now they are concerned that if they tell the flock the truth, there will be further "disillusionment" just like that surrounding the generation "adjustment."

You seem particularly naive or uninformed about those situations in which ONLY a particular infusion can save a life. I do thank you for not implying I am making the issue merely an emotional one.

You spoke earlier of risk/benefit. Blood or no blood should be MY decision, not that of a GB who in actuality allows no choice. It is ready to enforce its position by a shortcut to shunning, utilizing the disassociation category.

<I personally think the matter deserves more study, prayer, and meditation>

How long, O Lord? How many more decades? Till the stones cry out? Do you naively think they sit around a table, pray, and wait for God to speak?

What if the GB is right? What if the Flat Earth Society is right!

The inconsistencies in the policy have been made abundantly clear to everyone. Avail yourself of the opportunity to do so. To make a decision just because the majority of the GB holds to a position, would not proceed from faith. And that would be sin. Cf my comments elsewhere.

I've made my point, you have made yours. I appreciate what Greg Stafford has said to you and I understand full well what he means. Finis.

• AlanF
    AlanF

To dunsscot:

:: You're comparing apples and oranges, dunsscot, when you compare a direct command from God to Abraham, to an arguable interpretation of the Bible by the Watchtower Society. TD's comments are dead on.:

: I have pointed out in other posts that I am in process when it comes to the Governing Body's understanding of blood transfusions.

That's good. I knew there was hope for you.

: Of course, I recognize that there is a difference between Abraham's suspension of the ethical

Abraham's actions were nothing of the kind. Since for true believers, whatever God says is ethical, is ethical, Abraham made no suspension of his ethics -- he changed his ethics due to God's command, just as surely as worshipers of Jehovah changed their ethics when they went from being under Jewish Law to being under Christian principles.

: and a modern JWs refusal to take blood. I even stated that I think blood tranfusions should be a matter of conscience, period.

You are to be commended for this stand. It could get you DA'd, you know.

: And to answer Jerry's question, if a Witness examines Scripture (thus listening to qol YHWH) and thinks that he or she can in all good conscience take blood or allow his or her child to have blood, then by all means, they should listen to their internal witness-bearer and the voice of YHWH.

Good! Why then, do you follow and give verbal support to men who declare wicked those who do exactly as you suggest? Here is an example of wicked men declaring the righteous one wicked.

: But while Abraham's case is not identical with that of modern JWs, I think his case is analogous in a Thomistic sense.

Try using words that make sense to us simple folk.

:: If Jehovah is the Supreme Creator who determines right and wrong, what is ethical and what is not, then by definition what he tells someone to do is right and ethical. Therefore, if Abraham had killed Isaac by God's command, it would have been ethical by definition.:

: If a voluntarist delineation of God's nature is correct, THEN whatever Jehovah commands is right or wrong. But I'm not so sure the voluntarist is right when he or she contends that the voluntas of God takes precedence over the intellectus dei. Michael Gillespie's _Nihilism Before Nietzsche_ highlights the difficulties with positing a God who is omnipotent in a strict sense. The difficulties involved here can also be observed in Plato's "Euthyphro."

This is a large question, true, but it is irrelevant to the teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses, which after all is what you're on this board supporting. For JWs, your words are meaningless. If a standard of morality exists apart from God, then God did not make it. If such exists, then God of necessity must be obeying someone else -- whoever created that standard. But according to JWs, God is omnipotent and answers to no one else. That's pretty much what the Bible says, too.

Oddly enough, the Bible paints a contradictory picture of God with respect to morality. When Abraham argued God down to allowing that if only ten righteous men could be found in Sodom and Gomorrah, he asked, "Is the Judge of all the earth not going to do what is right?" Obviously in this instance, he held God to a higher standard than "whatever God told him". Yet we're quite certain that if God had told Abraham, "Listen you little snipe! It's not your business to question me! Do what you're told or you're toast!" Abraham would have meekly obeyed and likely convinced himself that God was acting properly after all.

:: Various pagans around Israel interpreted their holy writings or whatever so as to understand that their God or gods required child sacrifice. Yet the Bible says of its God that such a horrible thing never came up into his heart.:

: We both know, I think, that the God of Moses (the writer of the Pentateuch) did not want Abraham to sacrifice his beloved son. As you rightly point out, such sacrifices never came up into His heart.

Right, but remember that this story is told in a cultural context in which child and animal sacrifice was common, even the norm. Listeners of Abraham's day would not consider such a sacrifice to be nearly as horrendous as we do today. Just suppose a person from patriarchal culture was hearing the story for the first time. He of course would not know how it turned out. He would be on the edge of his seat right up to the last second, just before Abraham was stopped from killing his son. That's a major theme of the storytelling.

: This fact does not mean that an action is right because God commands it. Duns Scotus thought that if God commanded us to commit adultery, then marital infidelity would be permissible. I disagree in toto, pace Duns. If we favor such an interpretation of the divine potentia, we open up Pandora's box, and allow nihilism to run rampant.

So what? That's the way it is. Old Duns was right. God, being the creator, can declare any actions he pleases to be right. That he does so is demonstrable from Bible stories. It was just fine for patriarchs -- and certainly kings -- to have as many wives and concubines as they could handle. Such practices were regulated, but that does not negate the fact that, as implied by Jesus, God changed his standards for marital fidelity sometime between Adam and Abraham. The original was supposedly one man, one woman, period. The faithful among the patriarchs held strictly to the standards God set for them -- including screwing their wives' servants when their wives allowed it -- and so, if later Bible writers held these men up as paragons of morality, then they were righteous -- by definition!

Conversely, if God declared that from now on marriage was a dead institution (new scrolls opened and all that), and men and women should be like bonobos and free have sex with whoever they pleased, what humans could properly tell him that he had set up an improper standard? You? Me? Not likely. JW leaders and other Pharisees? More than likely.

:: The JWs interpret their holy writings so as to understand that their God requires that they sacrifice their children on the altar of their 'no blood' doctrine. Yet nothing in the Bible indicates that revering the symbol of life over life itself ever came up into Jehovah's heart.:

: You may be correct, but I think you're only telling part of the story.

Not "may" -- I am correct, and you know it. The rest of "the story" is mere window dressing and red herring smell, as I will show.

: JWs do not have a death wish for their children. They do everything in their power to give their children, happy and content lives. Furthermore, the JW life by its very nature is life-promoting.

Irrelevant. Exactly the same can be said of many Christian groups that practice a small number of hurtful or deadly things. You will no doubt disagree with them, yet not quite be able to see why you should apply your standard of disagreement to your own religion. Why is that? Simple: to admit it would be to admit that your religion is no better than so many others, and that would kill off your incentive to stick with it, which is emotionally unacceptable.

For example, do you think that the crazy Christian Pentecostal snake-handlers of Tennessee love their children any less than JWs do, or do less than everything in their power to give fine lives to their children? Not likely. But these people, who give their children poison to drink and make them handle poisonous snakes -- sometimes resulting in death -- you'll certainly condemn them for going against common sense. At least, I hope you would. Does the "life-promoting" conduct of such people in most areas negate their death-promoting behavior with respect to snake-handling? Clearly not. These people are nuts, and they prove that they really don't respect life even though they claim that they love life and are only showing faith in God by putting themselves unnecessarily in harm's way. And just like with the JWs and their blood doctrine, the mere claim that the snake-handling doctrine is "biblical" does not make it so, and does not negate the gross disrespect for life that all these people show.

: Lastly, I find it ironic that those who worry so much about the POTENTIAL death of a child who refuses blood transfusions do not care enough about the spiritual welfare of their children to teach them spiritual and ethtical guidelines. Some parents even smoke in front of their children or abuse alcohol. They also fail to teach them biblical truth or transcendent values as a whole. Are they any better than Witnesses who MAY permit their children to die if suitable alternatives to blood cannot be found?

Who are you to judge what is right for others to teach their children? Can you prove apodictically that God exists, that this God is the God of the Bible, and so on? No? Then don't judge those who act responsibly on that knowledge.

More important for our present discussion, though, is that you're raising another red herring. The propriety of the JW position on blood has nothing to do with the living habits of anyone -- including those who choose to discuss the issue.

: If God permitted the slaying of the innocents in the first century, and he allows abortions today and so many other evils, why would He not permit His worshipers to make certain decisions that mean life or death?

Yet another non sequitur. The fact that all these deaths occur shows nothing whatsoever about whether God "allows" such things. They could equally well occur because God explicitly permits it, or that God is off playing cosmic golf and is unconcerned, or that there is no God to be concerned.

As the apostle Paul was asked, dunsscott, why do you keep kicking against the goads? The answer to "the question of blood and JWs" is obvious and you know it. Why not act on your gut, follow through, and do the right thing?

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit