Python Saves The Lives Of Three Tsunami Victims

by hillary_step 12 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

From the Jakarta Post - and yes I do read it regularly.

Large python saves Riza and twins Thursday, December 30, 2004

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

A few survivors of Sunday's calamity have a snake to thank for being alive.

Riza, a 26-year-old clothes vendor, said that at about 8 a.m. she was enjoying the holiday in bed when suddenly she saw walls of water, mud, rocks and branches rushing into the neighborhood. People were screaming and running. Riza, who was living in a rented house near the coast in Banda Aceh with three friends, dashed up to the second floor of a neighbor's house and stood on top of a cupboard.

But as she told Antara from a makeshift shelter on Wednesday, the current swept her and her friends off their perch. As Riza was drifting, she saw her neighbors, two girls -- twins -- and their mother.

Riza, who can swim, managed to help the girls. She saw that their mother was badly injured.

"The mother shouted, 'please help save my children. Let me be, but please save my children,'" Riza recounted, in tears.

As she struggled for her own life and that of the twins, she said a large snake as long as a telephone pole approached her. She and the nine-year-olds rested on the reptile, which was drifting along with the current.

"Thank God, we landed on higher ground where the water level was only about a meter deep. The twins, who were badly injured, were safe." Riza then slapped her face to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

Riza, who is currently taking refuge in the Bandar Blang Bintang area, plans to go to her relatives' house in Medan, North Sumatra.

• jst2laws
  • BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Kewl! I love snakes (most kritters). And we were taught serpents were baa'ad. Humph

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard an elephant story too, on CNN. It seems there was an elephant on a beach in Phuket, Thailand. It was there to entertain the children. When the tidal wave hit, many of the children were swept into the ocean and the elephant swam, lifted them with his trunk, and put them on his back. They said he did that several times, taking more than one trip to shore with them. Such smart animals and they can swim too.

• Mary
    Mary

Actually did anyone see that thing on CNN a couple of days ago, about how a very large percentage of the animals survived? They apparently made their way to higher ground BEFORE the tsunami hit. It brings the question "do animals have a sixth sense" to the foreground again. There's been other cases throughout history where animals have sensed danger before it happens and they get the hell out of there............a very interesting story indeed.

• belbab
    belbab

This thread also reminded me that the Chinese have been aware for centuries that animals have fore knowledge of earthquakes. I typed a search into Google under words: tsunami earthquakes animals, quite a few sites showed up. A good one is:

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/EarthquakePredictionChina.html

This web site is so busy that they ask not to download to save band width.

One thing good that will result from this disaster is that countries will search greater ways to forewarn earthquakes and tsunamies .

Another strory that I read once, but I have forgotten the source, is of a Shaman chief, who was out in a dugout canoe, diving for shellfish, rose from a dive, and drove his crew to paddle for shore with all their might. One older paddler died of a heart attack. They barely made it and warned the islanders.

I assume that under water he felt vibrations that indicated a tsunami was immanent.

belbab

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

most animals do have heightened senses compared to humans

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Belbab!

Hope that you are feeling well and that things are progessing well for you. We must share a coffee soon.

This thread also reminded me that the Chinese have been aware for centuries that animals have fore knowledge of earthquakes. I typed a search into Google under words: tsunami earthquakes animals, quite a few sites showed up. A good one is:

Yes, the Chinese have been earthquake 'experts' for many centuries. I once owned a C17th Chinese contraption made of porcelain that was an earthquake warning device. It was wheel shaped and had a number of porcelain balls that would roll itnto the centre of the bowl with a bell like sound at the slightest tremor. An early warning system.

Take care Belbab - HS

• bem
    bem

Thats a very cool story I'll pass that on to my son he loves snakes. and the other animal stories as well.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Amazing story..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit