Anybody make New Year's resolutions/have cabbage, black-eyed peas, etc?

by Frannie Banannie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I don't know where the tradition came from, but down here in the South, it's traditional to eat cabbage, black-eyed peas, ham....and since cornbread seems to go so well with it...heh....wonder what it means....I know the cabbage is for luck with money in the New Year, but not sure about the rest.

Anyone else make any New Year's resolutions?

Frannie

• missy04
    missy04

I considered a few, but I think I would be setting myself up to fail on them

I think mine will be to read the Bible more...(not the Witnesses' version!!)

~Sarah

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

hmm...coincidentally, i have a little box of cornbread (Jiffy brand), a cabbage i got two days ago for some reason, and some leftover ham...but i've never had black-eyed peas before, isn't that scandalous? so i guess my resolution is to try some (i hope i don't murder them too bad...)

got any good recipes?

happy new year...

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

oooh ooh, I know I know! The cabbage represents dollar bills and the black-eye peas is for change. I don't know where it originated but it is popular among the black community. I had never heard of it until a good friend of my mothers made it for us for one New Years dinner. Good eatin with cornbread.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I&P, I like blackeye-peas cooked with bacon, a little salt and pepper and when served put chopped onions on them. mmmm mmmm good.

Incense_and_Peppermints
    I&P, I like blackeye-peas cooked with bacon, a little salt and pepper and when served put chopped onions on them. mmmm mmmm good.

cool. i'll give it a whirl...

• bem
    bem

Wild horses, same thing I've heard also about the greens for green money and the black eyed peas for silver money, We were always told whatever we done on the first day of the year we would do all year long!!

Frannie I started making New Years resolutions last year, I make whole list of things, and last year well... I checked 'em off as I done them. I just didn't anticipate some of the endings. so this year I'm gonna add some what if's to my list. just to be safe. And btw I actually followed through on most of them. . I hope you have an amazing year in 2005 Frannie.

Incense_ ,Recipe: cook that ham in with those black eyed peas.

Happy New Year to all of you. Dorothy

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Started my resolutions today Frannie. I really need to get in some sort of physical shape again since I'm going to be 58 pretty darn soon.

Got me a brand new Total Gym (the Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley type) but I didn't pay the $1,400 through the infomercial. Got mine on e-bay.......brand new for only $300.00. It was delivered on Thursday. I'm feeling my first workout today. Oooooohhh......I think I'm going to hurt a little bit! But.......no pain, no gain. ( I want to lose......not gain.....weight that is)

And.........starting next week........I go back on the Herbalife program. I once lost 32 lbs. in 10 weeks on it.

Wish me continuous resolution keeping, Fat Man 2 Jumping Jacks Bike Riding Camper

HappyDad

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    i have a little box of cornbread (Jiffy brand) got any good recipes?

LOL! I used Jiffy brand corn muffin mix this time, too...soooo easy....I just put a stick of butter in the pan in the oven to melt before pouring the batter into the pan to bake....mmmmmmmm

I&P, if you get the frozen kind, instead of the dried black-eyed peas, you can cook 'em in about 45 mins....flavor with some of the ham and onions, a spritz of garlic powder, salt & pepper, and a dash of worcestershire sauce to keep the broth from getting too cloudy.

I think mine will be to read the Bible more...(not the Witnesses' version!!)

Good luck, Sarah. I hope you glean what you wish from it.

The cabbage represents dollar bills and the black-eye peas is for change.

Thx, Wildhorses. (whew!) I was afraid that those black-eyed peas were for reproduction purposes

Frannie I started making New Years resolutions last year, I make whole list of things, and last year well... I checked 'em off as I done them. I just didn't anticipate some of the endings. so this year I'm gonna add some what if's to my list. just to be safe. And btw I actually followed through on most of them. . I hope you have an amazing year in 2005 Frannie.

Thx, ((((bem)))) I'm only makin' one.....my first in decades.....yall'll be seein' a "new" me at the next apostafest.....

Wish me continuous resolution keeping, Fat Man 2 Jumping Jacks Bike Riding Camper

High 5's, HappyDad!

Hugs 'n smoochies, everyone!

Frannie

Incense_and_Peppermints

thanks for the recipes ladies. sounds scrumptious...

huggyz...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit