To those that believe in a god; Please help me believe

by AlmostAtheist 83 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dave:
    Sorry buddy, I should have been more considerate. I just realised you stay in Ohio...
    Did the final count ever get resolved???

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    final count ever get resolved?

I thought it was, but then I started getting all these "mail-in" votes! And I thought internet voting would make this easier!

Why ? ... you believe or not ? if you do not believe there must be a reason (that's what you have check ... NO ?)

This thread started because of a discussion with a person very close to me that became tremendously bothered by my unwillingness to believe in a god. I was accused of not listening to the arguments, explaining them away, wanting "not" to believe. So I wanted to give it the best shot it could get. I know many of you are believers, and moreover, you're a diverse group of believers. So I thought if there was any chance that somebody would strike a chord with me, it would be one of you.

The impression I'm left with is that for the most part, the people that "found" God actually say they were found by him. Searching didn't help, at least not for the majority. So I'm basically dropping the idea until God reveals himself to me. There's no way to prove that he doesn't exist, so I won't bother trying. And it seems impossible to prove (to me) that he does exist, so again no point in bothering there. Like the Magic-Eye pictures, I'll just think about something else and see what happens. (I'm reminded of the time I stared cross-eyed at some random pattern, only to realize that it was not meant to be a magic eye picture. I was trying so hard to see what I thought was there, but it simply wasn't there to be seen.)

BTW, I think an atheist is a person that doesn't believe in a god, not one that believes there is no god. It is an absence of belief, not a belief. So I think at this point I qualify as an atheist. (Don't I get a card, or something?)

Let me say again, thank you all for your heartfelt, helpful, informative responses.

Dave

• Satanus
    Satanus
    The impression I'm left with is that for the most part, the people that "found" God actually say they were found by him. Searching didn't help
    So I think at this point I qualify as an atheist. (Don't I get a card, or something?)

Lol. The chief reverend atheist will be by to sprinkle you w the unholy water and issue you your laminated official atheist card. Please have your donation and a small picture ready In the event that god finds you at some point in the future, then you must destroy the card. The donation however, is nonrefundable.

S

Ps, i like your honest, straight forward approach to this issue

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    This thread started because of a discussion with a person very close to me that became tremendously bothered by my unwillingness to believe in a god.

Gawd, doncha hate it when that happens? Talk about intolerance!

I get a similar kinda sensation when I see the increasingly abundant anti-Christian rhetoric on this site...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit