I'm not a Buddhist, but...............PART 2

by Dansk 69 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

IYIYI, now we got Buddha Apologetics??? Say, what does Buddha think of these horrible floods, like back in Noah's day, and on his own home turf today? NORM, ALAN, get in here!

Seriously, I've never set out to read or research word one about Buddhism, but I often get little snippets of it (like posted in Nic's thread) and think, hmmm, this Buddha guy thinks like me.

Sort of an accidental Buddhist..... Or wait *sideways look* perhaps... perhaps... PERHAPS! the words of Buddha are so powerful, that even as a brainwashed (yes Bradley, brainwashed) dub, snippets of Buddhism entered my mind and heart and shaped me like some powerful yet subtle puppeteer to my mental marionette??!!??!!??!!?? (the previous sentence is best read in an Arlo Guthrie voice).

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

while not a buddhist, personally, my views are not that far from some buddhists schools.

I do not agree with all things modern buddhists believe nor in all things buddha taught.

some may be because it is not always easy to understand what someone living in 2500bce was actually talking about

after it has been interpreted and translated over time....

just like christianity, those who came after read their own experiences into the words and came up with their own view of things which made buddhism mutate and evolve....

as was said earlier, what is important is to find out for yourself.... confirm all beliefs by experience and understanding rather than dogmatic acceptance.

• twolips
    twolips

You know the only person I ever asked "what has happened , you seem so different , so calmly happy ?" was my hair dresser. She had left for six months and returned. She told me she was studing Buddism and had gone off to some faraway country.

At this time I was still a believer in the JW religion. But my thoughts were about going out in service compared to someone just coming up to you and asking you what has changed you in such a positive way? Reverse witnessing. Or how it should be. People drawn to what is for them instead of going to their door and selling , pushing something.

Ian, Thank you for reminding me of this old freind. I collect books , I even read some ;-)) Your recomended ones I will read.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hopefully, you can see these pictures of my teacher, the late Ven Oung Mean Candavana from Cambodia and myself in 1975. I'm posting these quickly as I'm full of a cold. Will write more tomorrow!

Ian

• Fleur
    Fleur

just get better Dansk, don't worry! We'll be around when you feel up to posting *hug*

rest up!!!

love

essie

• Navigator
    Navigator

I agree with Dansk that Buddhism is a religion of "common sense". Both the Religious Science and Unity movements in the USA have been heavily influenced by Buddhist philosophy and thought. My Unity Pastor frequently reads the morning scripture from the teachings of the various Buddhist Masters.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Interesting posts, thanks everyone (especially Ian)

Funnily enough, I bought the tibetan book of living and dying a couple of weeks ago. It is very in depth and I've only flicked through it (I haven't started a serious read, but then, I've got 11 books to read before the start of my OU course in Feb ARGH)

Sirona

• Dansk
    Dansk

Fleur,

I’m now off my sick bed. You asked:

Can you tell me what your take, as a Buddhist, is about the Tsunami? i am looking right now on the news at footage of a huge buddhist temple in sri lanka that is now an orphanage.
    the death toll is up over 100,000 now. what do you feel about that as a buddhist?

Good questions. Buddhists believe we are living in what is known as Samsara, which is a state of flux, change and ceaseless becoming. In other words, daily life! The Buddhist’s goal is to set oneself free from its bondage, hence to ultimately reach Nirvana, which is the release of the limitations of existence. However, Theravada (Hinayana) and Mahayana schools differ as to its meaning, but the realisation for both is perfect knowing.

As a Buddhist I am shocked, but not surprised, at the Tsunami earthquake. I am shocked and immensely saddened as to the level of human life lost but not surprised that such a cataclysmic incident should have occurred. Because we live in Samsara nothing is permanent and, therefore, disasters, unfortunately, are a part of life. It wasn’t god-made, bad karma on the part of so many people or evil spirits. It was just a terrible event, like so many other earthquakes or natural disasters. The loss of life may have been greater with the Tsunamai, but it was a natural disaster all the same.

From a Buddhist perspective, all those poor souls who perished will carry their karma with them and be reborn into whatever states their karma dictates. For many here reading that statement will be taken as hard to believe, but there is much evidence to prove reincarnation (Actually, rebirth, which isn’t quite the same. In reincarnation one assumes one has a transmigratory soul, whereas in rebirth no immortal entity passes from one life to the next. Rather, each life is a result of the karmic effect of the previous one).

While I’ve been in bed these past four days I’ve had plenty of chance to read and reflect – and to have some extraordinary dreams (I usually don't sleep at all well and can never remember dreaming). In spite of the seriousness of my main illness I have no fear, because Buddhism and Ramana have proven to me that death is merely the start of a new beginning.

Ian

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ian,

I am happy to hear that you are feeling better. I'm sorry that I was such a pest with my questions while you were ill. The explanation to the events over the past week was very interesting. I am looking forward to reading the books you have suggested.

Where I live there are so many different Buddhist temples. I have been curious about checking them out one of these days. Maybe I just will.

Thank you for taking so much time to help us learn about this philosophy.

Please take care

blackswan

• Dansk
    Dansk

BSofM

I am happy to hear that you are feeling better. I'm sorry that I was such a pest with my questions while you were ill.

Believe me, you weren't a pest and, at the time, I hadn't deteriorated, so enjoyed answering your questions. Later, I just couldn't get out of bed. Colds! They are seldom fatal, but a stinker can lay one low from days to weeks.

I wish you well in your search. Check everything out and see if it meets with your gut feeling. If it doesn't, try another school. Don't be in a hurry. I don't go to a temple and, because of my disease, I haven't been able to attend my regular Buddhist group of late - so a Buddhist attends to me regularly instead I get a visit once a week from a wonderful friend and we 'phone each other 2-3 times a week, also.

The books I recommended will give you a wonderful insight and a good grounding. You'll immediately know when you've truly arrived at your path. Actually, you're already on it; you just have to clear away any obstructions. These can even come from the schools (or, rather, the teachers) themselves, which is why it's always good to trust your intuition. I've had to learn that for myself after the JW experience - but no experience is a waste. Don't ever feel bad about a past event, because that's exactly what it is - the past. One must live for the present. The present is all we have. The past is gone forever, the future doesn't exist. It's always about now!

Here's to your success.

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit