Congregation gossip - Why so rampant?

by OUT and about 24 Replies latest jw friends

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

Is is just me, or did every congregation have a BIG (as in greater than in the non JW world) problem with this? How have some been affected?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

nothing better to do?

Mrs Jones

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Every cong I've been to has a big problem with gossip and the rumor mill. It's because they're a bunch of busy bodies that have nothing better to do while waiting for their New System of things.

Pioneers, MS's and elders' wives are the worst!

DY

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

The thing is ,is that thier world is so small,and everyone has to be in everybodies businiuiss.Its truly sick,and a problem in that org.

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

I remember when we would have one of our very regular special needs parts, or when a WT article would mention it, all eyes would shift to this one middle aged single pioneer sister, and her facial expression wouldn't show the slightest notion that she took any of this personally. She was a nice person, but I hated her. I would always just walk away when she started gossiping to me or in my presence. Of course she was only one of many.

• Maverick
    Maverick

It is not a question of being rampant as a fact that gossip was and is a very important mechanism of the WTS. As much as the official policy claimed to be against gossip it is a very valuable tool to punish and undermine individuals within the collective. Whenever the JW Masters want to smear someone they use this well established form of communication. Ray Franz is a great example of the effective use of gossip.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I agree that it is part of the punishment mechanics for the organization.

Jeff

• Dustin
    Dustin

The gossip was unbelievable at times in the congregation I was from. You should try being marked. That was good times, as people would talk about me all the time. I was going out with a non witness girl who later became my wife. People would stare and talk about us during the meeting, as we were forced to sit apart by the elders. I would hear things that were said about me from various people, and most of it wasn't very nice. They said even worse things about my wife. Most of the gossip and ridicule came from one of the elders who thought he was really cool. He was about 31 or 32 and thought he owned the world. He seriously talked so much crap it was crazy. To this day I just hope I run into him so I can tell him off.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is a works based religion. Because of this people are always "checking up" on each other and judging each other's performance in their works.

• metatron
    metatron

Gossip was big in Bethel too.

When you can't get honest, no BS truth directly, you have to rely on the 'back-channel'.

Gossip often exists because so many Witnesses actually despise each other, particularily in local congregations.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit