Congregation gossip - Why so rampant?

by OUT and about 24 Replies latest jw friends

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

I think my mom told me that there's a rumor in my old congo that I am now a prostitute with several babies from different fathers, with a nasty drug habit.

dumbasses. I have two kids from different fathers. so there.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

my 14 year old observed this on her own, she came home 1 day from her father's weekend in Wisconsin and after visiting with several of their friends there in the cong and the family....she told me 'you know, the witnesses are always gossipping about each other and talking bad about each other, even grandma'.....

• sugarbritches
    sugarbritches

Boy do i ever know how it feels to be gossiped about. Some of the elders wives were so jealous--- they felt they had to put me down in order to get rid of me. I did finally leave- after the elders tried for the 2nd time to get rid of me. The first time they tried to get rid of me they lied and told me I wasn't allowed to come to this particular KIngdom Hall because I didn't live in the same county. The circuit overseer informed them that I could go whereever I wanted to go. So they terminated 3 Bible studies-- and asked me to go elsewhere. They said I wasn't making any progress. How could I make progresss when they kept terminating my studies. The sisters in this Kingdom Hall were such a bunch of busybodies- they made life rough for me there- and the elders were nightmares that I am still trying to forget. Yes gossip is rampant in the Kingdom Halls- I'm glad I'm out.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    I think my mom told me that there's a rumor in my old congo that I am now a prostitute with several babies from different fathers, with a nasty drug habit.

omg, i'm sorry but that just cracks me up!

good grief.

anyway, my older brother came out to the elders... out of the closet, that is. he was still a virgin, but i'd hear nasty rumors about how he left because he was having sex with several worldy men, which was totally not true. he wanted to come clean and tell them he was gay and because of that he couldn't be a witness anymore. only then did he decide to explore.

(heh, he told me he used to get excited reading passages from leviticus, and would fantasize about this brother or that during talks. i was shocked, 'cause i never did any fantasizing of any kind, and thought everyone was like me. braindead.)

i thought they weren't supposed to tell lies...

• blueztunez
    blueztunez

hehe

What fun I just drove my mom and her pal (both jw's) 1000 Kms for a visit with family and boy did I get the dirt on whos doing what to whom ect in thier cong. The more time I spend at their kingdom hall the more I come to realize not just how "worldly" they are but how little love travels around that place. Some scripture states you shall know them by their fruits...well I'm not biting. I'd rather hang here any day...the love here may travel hard and fast but at least it's sincere. I don't know why it's so rampant but I do KNOW it is rampant. Peace

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

malicious gossip among the super sisters is the reason i HOPE there's a burning hell.

you didnt get marked by a talk at our hall. you got marked by elders wives and their evil tongues.

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

Hey Bluez, Your answer highlighted one of the big reasons I fell out of love with the organization. Thanks

• proplog2
    proplog2

A congregation is a "small town".

According to scientists our brains evolved to the present level of complexity because of the need to deal with the interactions in a hierachical group of about 100-120 members. The typical traveling group consisted of about 3 to 4 generations of a family which would come to about 100 people.

Gossip is part of human nature and is essential to the functioning of an organization.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Congregation gossip - Why so rampant? Because they all lead such sad little lives that gossip brightens things up a little

• pratt1
    pratt1

Although I agree with most of the afore mentioned comments, the DUB's are not the only group of people where you will find malicious gossip.

I have worked for various Fortune 100 companies and believe me many of my collegues could teach the DUBs a thing or two about gossip. My opinion is that as long as the world has mean spirited, insecure people around, you will have gossip.

What make matters worse is when these people are part of a organization that encourages gaps between the haves and have nots, or the weak and the strong, or the rich and the poor, gossip becomes the primary tool to put some one else down and at the same time elevating the gossiper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit