Asian tragedy: not the "end of the world"...

by observador 15 Replies latest social current

• observador
    observador

... as I am sure some JWs will spin it. As I told my mother once, exagerating a little, they love when tragedies like these happen, as these seem to validate the beliefs they hold so dear.

As tragic and sad as these events in Asia are, it's not any signs of times; it's a natural ocurrence that humankind has to learn and prepare to.

Look what I read this morning and you'll see:

"Sunday's massive quake of 9.0 magnitude off the Indonesian island of Sumatra sent 500-mph waves surging across the Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal in the deadliest known tsunami since the one that devastated the Portuguese capital of Lisbon in 1755 and killed an estimated 60,000 people."

http://www.comcast.net/News/GENERAL//XML/1104_AP_Online_Regional___Asia/fdae232f-e944-4594-bee7-5c9fd39a6933.html

Observador.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Why do they say tragedies like the tidal wave are horrible when they openly hope and pray for something a hundred times worse?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Good point.

I'm curious to know how the JW's in Southeast Asia have been affected. Does anyone know how many, if any, Kingdom Halls were damaged/destroyed? The Tsunami's hit around 10am on Sunday. If there were any Kingdom Halls in the area, they would have been having their Sunday meeting around that time.

• vitty
    vitty

How can you feel deep sympathy for "worldly" people dying, when you are praying for an even bigger disaster to happen. After all they`ll get get a ressurection so why bother worrying.

But looking seriously at that tragedy, and the aftermath, how could we possibly of been so stupid to think a hand full of people could clear up after the annalation of the worlds population, oh I forgot we shouldnt ask questions like that, we have to wait on Jehovah

But the really sickning thing is they way they will all give lip service from the platform and everyone will nod ther heads in agreement. The only genuine care will be if there were any "brothers" there

And that will be the limit of love and care, also a Watchtower will come out Thankgod I wont have to read it

• undercover
    undercover
    How can you feel deep sympathy for "worldly" people dying, when you are praying for an even bigger disaster to happen. After all they`ll get get a ressurection so why bother worrying.
    Why do they say tragedies like the tidal wave are horrible when they openly hope and pray for something a hundred times worse?

Excellent questions.

I remember in the days right after 9/11, many JWs were in a "we told you so" pattern in their door to door work. I remember being told that a letter from the WTS was read at my old hall to straighten out those JWs who were a little militant in their message of destruction. That right there shows you how they feel about "worldly" people dying.

To many JWs, at least those who hang on every word coming from Brooklyn, 50,000 people dying in a natural disaster is just another sign. There is no human factor to them. In a couple of weeks when experiences start circulating out of New York of how JWs came to the aid of their brothers, most JWs will get the warm fuzzies thinking what a wonderful organization, thinking nothing of the vast majority of people who died that had nothing to do with JWs or the WTS.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had lunch with my JW mother today, and she was almost in tears about this one. She didn't say one thing about it being a sign either. Just a terrible tragedy............and "those poor people".

• Neo
    Neo
    I had lunch with my JW mother today, and she was almost in tears about this one. She didn't say one thing about it being a sign either. Just a terrible tragedy............and "those poor people".

Great, Mulan! It's not the typical JW mindset.

A good article by AlanF:

The Watchtower Society Backpedals on Earthquakes

Neo

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    I remember in the days right after 9/11, many JWs were in a "we told you so" pattern in their door to door work.

witnesses typically don't come around too much in my neighborhood. but the very next day (september 12th) they were out in droves . how opportunistic...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I have not been out in service for months - but I would not on principle at the moment - as you say many (but not all) witnesses just love disasters as it validates them

• Fleur
    Fleur

Good for your mother, Mulan, not putting JW spin on this unthinkable tragedy.

My mother, all week, keeps droning "we're all going to die if Jehovah doesn't step in and bring Armageddon...they're getting us ready, it's going to happen any moment now...you better get right with Jehovah before the end comes."

makes me want to throw up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit