Have you re-read the bible since leaving the Kingdom Hall?

by Eyebrow2 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I always wanted to re-read the bible after I left the org; to be able to read it without having to feel like I had to apply something, or to have to read it out of obedience, etc...

Well, I have always liked the New World Translation, I know it isn't perfect, but I think it is better than some. But I have always wanted to get a different modern English translation, and read that. Well, I FINALLY picked up a New International Version at Wal-Mart the other day...under $6, what a bargain.

Started last night, and finished Genesis today, and am just starting into Exodous. I have to say, it doesn't seem to take as long, because I am just reading it as I would any other book. I am rather enjoying it. I do dread Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy..uck...hahah

Now that I a reading the bible WITHOUT any "bible aid", I find myself asking a few questions. This made me think that it would be kind of fun to join a Bible book club...online of course...who has the time for anything else.

Is this something that anyone would be interested in?

Anyhoo... I was wondering how many others out there decided to do this after they left the Kingdom Hall too?

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

nope

a few verses here and there. but haven't sat down to read.

funny, though... I have spent time with the Insight Book

It's the one religious book I have set for easy access.

Guess it's my good witness training. Use the Bible just to quote a few scriptures.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

My mom took the all of the meetings, and studying for them so seriously, and so did I as a kid...so that meant doing the weekly bible reading etc.....but she was very serious when she was a babtist too before her conversion...even went to bible college.

• one
    one

Most antagonic jerks in this forum most likely did not ever read the whole bible, and never did after leaviing. BUT now some are dogmatic and want to be heard... It is like calling more or less "the pot calling the kettle blackt" ..

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

No I have no desire to read the Bible at all and if I did it certainly wouldn't be the NWT probably anything else but that version it's so full of errors it's not funny.

I've pretty much chucked the Bible as being anything but an ancient story book and like the book says there's nothing new under the sun. Been there done that.

Over and out!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

while a jw i read the bible thru several times. once taking copious notes and observations.

since leaving i have read the old testament.

and read revelation while reading those left behind books.. (which made about as much sense as the revelation book lol)

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Have you read "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit" and "The Silmarillion"?

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

havent really put a high priority on it.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Yes, I've read the NWT along with the King James bible. I read them together virtually verse by verse. It was a real ee opener. I've also read The Book of Mormon and a great majority of the Koran.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    Most antagonic jerks in this forum most likely did not ever read the whole bible, and never did after leaviing

That's exactly why we don't read the bible. It fosters superiority complexes such as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit