My parents rejected my invitation - because of the tree

by GermanXJW 24 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

And who is controlling her mind now that she doesn't go to the meetings, eh?

((((hugs))))

Wish we could be there...I love a German Christmas....

Blondie (Made in Bavaria)

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

>Blondie (Made in Bavaria)

My boss is also an American lady made in Bavaria. :-)

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

What is it about the tree?!

It suppose it a powerful symbol of being completely assimilated into the evils of "The World".

My Dad hadn't gone to meetings for years, and had even been "celebrating" xmas for a number of years (gift exchange in holiday wrap) he would NOT allow us a tree. I remember having to explain to my friends why presents were just stacked in the corner of the room. Still, I was fortunate to be allowed even that, having all those former non-present, non-feast, lonely days, on my mind, I didn't complain.

Dad rationalized (like only HE could rationalize) that we weren't actually celebrating Xmas, but just happened to be exchanging gifts on the same day that most everyone else was . It was kinda a Xmas take on "turkey-was-on-sale-and-we-just-happened-to-eat-it-on-Thanksgiving type thing.

I bought my first tree, myself, when I was 18.

My JW zealot Grandmother would visit my Df'd, now worldly, Aunt's house on Xmas day. Of course, to JW relatives, it was "just like any other day". Granny would simply ignore the decorations and enjoy her time with family. Granny was SUCH a zealot, but she NEVER shunned and simply shutout what she didn't want to see. I think the elders left her alone because, otherwise, she was super JW pioneer with super JW pioneer children and grandchildren.

As far as former JWs easing themselves into the holidays, just do what you are comfortable with.

GermanJW, I'm sorry about your parents. Enjoy the holiday with your own family without them.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Dear GermanXJW,

Please try to direct all your energy and love toward your wife and children tonight. Enjoy and love one another fully, in the spirit of Christmas. This is your family's night. Then, tomorrow, forgive your mother and tell her you love her.

GLBWY,

Paul

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

That sucks...just realize sometimes it isn't just the religion my Dad lives two hours from me and has not seen my kids in forever or my Grandbaby, nor has my Step-mom seen her sons daughter, his new son which is SIX MONTHS OLD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit