Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.... THE MOVIE!

by pr_capone 24 Replies latest jw friends

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

LMAO

I am soo excited about it. I honestly dont think that the producers of this movie give a damn wether they get flack for it or not. They can simply state that it wasnt written by them and if someone has issues with it they can go talk to the author who is six feet under. *shrugs*

Kansas District Overbeer

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

YAYYYY!!!! FINALLY!!!!

I will definately be there to see it. If my husband and I had not each read this book, we would have never met, no joking.

Douglas Adams was an awesome writer, it was so sad when he died. I hope they stay true to the book as well, as much as possible.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I am *so* there! Adams' books are unbelievably awesome. Even the made-for-TV stuff didn't suck as bad as he thought it did.

If it flies (how could it not?) the Dirk Gently books would make fantastic movies.

Dave

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Don't forget to go properly liquored up. I think someone should start mixing up enough Pangalactic Gargle Blasters to share with everyone... the effect of which is curiously like being smashed in the head by a brick with a lemon wrapped around it...

...and don't let the little white mice catch you getting clued in, otherwise the jig is up!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I feel in love with it after hearing it on the Radio. I read the books whilst the ink was still wet. I saw the stage production in London at the 'Rainbow' years ago; I'd say 1982 maybe. They were serving Pangalactic Gargleblasters in the bar!. I wept when Adam's died.

The TV series was fairly crap. Not unmittigated crap, just fairly crap.

The film? Can it possibly be any good after 25 years of development hell? I heard (don't know whether it is a wind-up) that Zaphod's second head is INSIDE one of his nostrils.

That's just silly. You can't have second heads inside nostrils.

But I would really like to leave the movie theatre think Adam's would have liked what they did to it.

Share and enjoy!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

More to the point, Abaddon, how could one possibly get a curtained Parrot cage over a second head in a nostril. That second head is a key plot factor - it is what first convinced Trillian to join him...

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I will!!

So long and thanks for all the fish.....

• wasasister
    wasasister

I saw the previews as well. I had the original BBC radio version on cassette tape until my last move. By far, my favorite.

One of the most enduring lines - at least in my household - is from the Vogon Captain's poem..."See if I don't!"

I'm worried about the movie version after seeing what they did to poor, dead Isaac Asimov's "I Robot".

• Panda
    Panda

I was still a dub when I read HGG. Only one other person at our hall in EauClaire wisconsin read HGG. And even though the TV series was lame to some it was fun to watch for me. I'm really excited about this movie. Sort of like the first star trek movie...not great but probably well attended.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I believe that if we took a poll we would find that the percentage of former dubs who read that series is much higher than the percentage of the general populace. As part of my attempt to wake my dad up I read the entire first book to him, out loud. He read the rest on his own. To put that in perspective... my dad didn't allow us to watch Star Trek, Star Wars, or Smurfs because of spiritistic overtones, but some months after finishing those books he read The Hobbit. He liked it so much he read the whole LotR series.

HGttG wakes up people's ability to think outside their norms. I don't even believe that was Adams' intent, but his style has that effect anyway. I first read the series when I was 13 and have been recommending it ever since. It is odd to hear my (age 50+) father ask a Circuit Overseer, "You don't know where your towel is, do you?" and laugh at the blank stare he gets in response. "I know where my towel is," he says with a delighted twinkle in his eye that was never there before.

He's not awake yet, but he's getting there.

Peace,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit