Depression in the congregation

by badboy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Any takers

• Maverick
    Maverick

The last three years I went to the Hall I would leave feeling worse than when I went in. It got to the point that the very thought of going would bring on feelings of depression. Anyone who feels that way should really think about what they are doing to themselves. Six months after I stopped going, and with the help of many here, my depressed feelings when away.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Man is the only animal that knows it is going to die and because of that knowledge man seeks answers which in turn creates organizations like the JW's that exploits that yearning in man by emphasizing the death that man knows is one day going to be his.

Depressing? Hell yeah! ( But only if you let it happen )

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

It's not by chance that 'CONGREGATION' rhymes with 'DEEP DEPRESSION'

• sugarbritches
    sugarbritches

Hi- I was very depressed while I was having a Bible Study with the JW's- and I think it went beyond depression because it's been over a year since I've been there and I still can't shake the darkness that they instilled into my life. Something very sinsister lurks there- I don't ever want to give them the chance to play with my emotions again.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just look at the number of refs on the c/d rom to "depression". I can recall when a whole load of articles were printed to asssist elders in "Helping" the depressed souls... I think we have all known victims of this illness in congergations.

Incidentally, when I was fading and was believed to be 'spiritually sick' our then P/O told me bluntly "Lets face it , youre depressed aren't you!", as if that would have helped

PS I have since read sugarbritches' post [ I love the name] I am so sorry that you have had such problems. Please keep on posting here and maybe things will become easier as we all help each other

• metatron
    metatron

Both my general health and my depression improved after I drifted away. Much of the improvement was because

my stress levels declined once I resolved to abandon field service and nearly all meetings. I began to wonder

how I ever put up with such foolishness - or how I could ever have been so stupid.

metatron

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I always wondered why my neighbors (being jdubs) were all on some kind of depression meds. Isn't knowing the truth suppose to make you joyful and satisfied that your doing the right thing? Go figure.

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Hi- I was very depressed while I was having a Bible Study with the JW's- and I think it went beyond depression because it's been over a year since I've been there and I still can't shake the darkness that they instilled into my life. Something very sinsister lurks there- I don't ever want to give them the chance to play with my emotions again.

Welcome, SB! Glad to have you with us. You're right, something sinister DOES lurk beneath the cloak of the "good news" that the WTS preaches. Depression in the congregation? Are you kidding me? I think it would be harder to find someone who WASN'T a depressed witness! You know, they make the environment as such that if you're happy or smiling, something must be wrong with you spiritually. After all, the way to salvation is cramped and the way to destruction is broad and spacious. Satan is persecuting God's true people in this day. So if you're not suffering, what are you smiling about? What is there to be happy about in this Old System of Things? Surely anyone who has any level of contentment in their life now is living in the moment and not Storing Up Treasures in Heaven (I don't know how scully does that little TM mark!) If you're happy in the organization, you are not spiritual enough. So much for the joy of "God's happy people." The only way to be happy as a JW is if you're a masochist. ~Essie

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

On the other hand .....

Levels of depression are very high amoungst the population in general.

Also, even if levels are higher with the JWs than society in general, is this because they cause it or are people inclined to depression more attracted to religion? Many years ago, I had a JW friend who found himself in a mental hospital following a nervous breakdown. He said it was the best 'witnessing' territory he had every had!

Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit