Depression in the congregation

by badboy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• missy04
    missy04

I have noticed a very good amount of people with depression in the KHs. My close witness friend has severe depression among other problems.

Not to mention how they prey on people with depression....me for one <-------

~Sarah

• one
    one
    Levels of depression are very high amoungst the population in general.

true

are people inclined to depression more attracted to religion?

yes!

BUT JW keep on saying they have an "spritual paradise" with all the answers

Wich does not agree with what I have seen. Too many who were really nice and happy persons and eventually become frustrated, dreppresed, distorted, a totally different individual. Some expressing their frustrations but others in total denial.

• FairMind
    FairMind

We were always told that if a person was tired and depressed that there was something about attending a meeting that would lift up your spirits. My eyes told me otherwise as I did not see this happening. My personal experience in the old congregation was that I could be in good spirits prior to going to a meeting but the coldness I'd experience would fix that.

FM

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

I think that if you're predisposed to depression, Witness life can make it a whole lot worse.

JWs are supposedly the "Happiest People on Earth." If you're a depressed JW, the advice given in the Awake! and Watchtower is "Do more in Jehovah's service." Thus, the subtle implication is that if you're a JW and you're depressed, it's your own fault because you're not serving God fully. And if you're not doing enough, you're not good enough for God; it's very possible that God will kill you Armageddon for your lack of faith.

Of course, knowing this can't do much but make you more depressed -- and scared. The depression you suffer will feed on the fear, and you just keep slipping further and further into the pit.

~Rochelle.

• one
    one
    the advice given in the Awake! and Watchtower is "Do more in Jehovah's ervice.

. Problem is that depression is usually caused by "dead end" the depressed person has been doing the "service" for too long but is falling behind in just about every aspect of life, mostly ECONOMICALLY, because has no time or 'approval' to improve his education or take extra part time job etc

Once a person becomes economically independent or stable she/he can handle most depressing situatons that mey come up.

Job lost no problem, family died take a trip overseas for a while, bad neiborghood i'll tomorrow, house need repair here is the money, bad nutrition lets buy better food, car stolen no problem, need a 3 month vacation for whatever reason ok, my mother is old and need economic help no problem either, my child need special education i can pay for it, have a bad boss resign now, dont have to use too much depressing polyester clothing, lift my spriti as i can afford eating out every so often, and so on. Self steemgoes down when you can not afford a solution and vicerversa.

• Badger
    Badger

Money may not be the key to happiness, but it can solve some depression issues.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I think they equate Depression with Humility.duh....I't just unbelievable how many jw's here in northern onatrio suffer from some type of depression.A vast majority of them are on some type of anti-depresants,and they're very knowledgable about them.And the the Awake says Jehovah's people are the happiest people on earth.Now that is what you call real propaganda!!!!

• Badger
    Badger

I've also talked to several shrinks who say they are deluged by JW's...especially telling since so many of them consider Psychology on par with Witches' Sabbaths.

• new light
    new light

Speaking for myself, being trapped as a JW definitely caused depression. In brief, when I "saw the light" after being df'ed for 1/3 of my life, I was in an almost manic state of happiness, which lasted through the 6 month period of repentance and came to a halt after being reinstated. I thought the night they made the announcement would bring this beautiful outpouring of love and affection from all the wonderful blissful souls at the KH. Wrong. Just a series of handshakes and hugs. Then came the pressure to go out in service. Depression slowly sank in, so slowly that I didn't realize why. Stopping all JW activity lifted it in a matter of days. Life is good again.

• badboy
    badboy

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit