Any changes in treatment of the disfellowshipped?

by fifi 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fifi
    fifi

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to whether the acceptable way to treat disfellowshipped family members has changed at all over the past 6-8 months or so? I'm getting the "brush off" more and more from my family and was wondering if there have been any modifications. I suppose I should be grateful that they talk to me at all, when I read some of the posts on this board, but I can't help wondering.

Thanks for any info.

Fifi.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As far as I know, this was the latest on the subject.**

* km 8/02 p. 4 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped *

"**9Relatives Not in the Household: "The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home," states The Watchtower of April 15, 1988, page 28. "It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum," in harmony with the divine injunction to "quit mixing in company with anyone" who is guilty of sinning unrepentantly. (1 Cor. 5:11) Loyal Christians should strive to avoid needless association with such a relative, even keeping business dealings to an absolute minimum.?See also The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, pages 29-30."

In fact, a lot is left down to individual discretioon. and attitudeds seem to vary from one country to another according to what I see on this board. I was talking recently to someone in the UK who has a d/f'd daughter living away from home, and they do keep up a minimal contact and they are determined to keep family ties alive....... A lot depends on the individual family and how they interpret the rules because the elders cannot know everything that goes on .

• PinTail
    PinTail

I have some fringe informates who have told me that if you are a brother who has just been told he is now disfellowshiped that before leaving the committee room, he is to immediately bend over and grab his ankle's and spell RUN three times as fast as he possibly can.

As far as the sister's are concerned I have no information, and I refuse to go in that direction anyway.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Talked to the elders about this not too long ago. They said they could and would DF a JW who sought out continued association with their DF'd relatives.

• PinTail
    PinTail

Wow, what a Cult of control.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I agree with BluesBrother regarding the 2002 km being the latest directive on the issue.

You may be right about a hardening of attitudes at this moment in time. I certainly got the impression from the tone of that particular Kingdom Ministry article that there must have been a relaxation on the strict rules by some and that this article was signalling a crack down again.

Eyeslice

• Gordy
    Gordy
    "**9Relatives Not in the Household: "The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home," states The Watchtower of April 15, 1988, page 28. "It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum," in harmony with the divine injunction to "quit mixing in company with anyone" who is guilty of sinning unrepentantly. (1 Cor. 5:11) Loyal Christians should strive to avoid needless association with such a relative, even keeping business dealings to an absolute minimum.?See also The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, pages 29-30."

Well that explains why my "the Watchtower can do no wrong" wife and JW two daughters. Have not spoken, seen or had any kind of contact with me since Sept 2001, when I DA'd. Why they will not be coming to her DA'd son/brother wedding next February.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Talked to the elders about this not too long ago. They said they could and would DF a JW who sought out continued association with their DF'd relatives.

Despite absolutely no scriptural grounds they can and do in some places.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well I am confused.A few weeks ago my grand-daughter by marriage had them call on her- she was a JW not baptised not in attendence for over 8 years -She told them she would never go back to the fold because of the way they treat me.-They asked why ? She said" well everyone( JWS) shun her. "they asked why -she told them dont believe in 1914!!!!! They said "Oh no we dont shun any more.."..She asked them to bring the article back to show where it was allowed.....They did not! BUT!!!!! the JWs that live in my building is NOW speaking to me( after avoiding & shunning me for the 4 years they have lived here. AND MY JW DAUGHTER called to tell me my best JW friend was dying.-( she hadnt spoke to me since I was df) Has since called again to say she died. Chatted for a long time...IT WAS WONDERFUL !!! I said dont mention you talked to me else they will DF you. She said "OH that is rubbish we dont do that-your listning to the wrong people.....?????Who knows they screw my mind one way or the other. I guess that is their purpose in life. Not Advertise ,Advertise, Advertise !!!! But CONFUSE! CONFUSE! CONFUSE!!!!!

• zev
    zev

as was mentioned about the august 2002 km, the actual article and AUDIO can be found here

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4zk5x/id4.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit