Richard Scarry's Best Field Service Story--EVER

by LDH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

OK so pardon me for the take off on Richard Scarry--he really is one of my favorite all time children's authors.

But I had to share this field service story with you--it's the Gospel Truth! Hopefully, you can add some of yours.

While pioneering in Upstate NY, my sister and I had frequent occasions to work in service with a married pioneer couple. Yes, they were window washers, but that's not the real story here.

They had a return visit on an elderly gentleman who was kind enough to take the magazines every once in a while. Sometimes when they went to visit, the old man insisted ongiving them a bag of California Almonds! YUMMMM!!!! (They NEVER shared with the car group--this is important--read on!)

This went on for about a year, with the pioneers receiving almonds once a month or so. The old man told them that his son always sent them, but since he had no teeth he couldn't chew them.

The rub came about a year later, when they visited him one day, and the old man told them something to the effect of 'he hated to hurt his son's feelings and tell him not to send them anymore.' Then he went on to tell them that 'actually the chocolate coating on them was pretty good!'

YUP you guessed it. That old fart was sucking the chocolate off the almonds and saving them for the Dubs.

MAN OH MAN did we fart when we heard that one.

Lisa

• rodnico
    rodnico

That is just sick.
    I used to regular pioneer in a Spanish-speaking group in Northern Utah. I had bible studies mainly with migrant workers out in the fields. One time I had a bible study with the wife of a Shepard close to the Idaho border. It was about an hours drive to get to where she lived. One day I had to go visit her alone, no one wanted to travel with me. I was on a dirt road, and a small white truck like a Budget or a Uhaul truck was in front of me at a stop sign. When the truck pulled out blood came spewing from it. It ran down the sides, and out of the bottom of the pull down door. It splattered onto my theocratic 4 door white sedan. I was in shock. The truck was making a turn and as it turned on the side was written mobile slaughter. YUCK!

• Simon
    Simon

Uuuurghhhhh !!!! (to both of those)

Gross !

• LDH
    LDH

THAT'S hysterical, your four door theocratic white sedan. LOL. With BLOOD on it. I am laughing out loud.

Lisa

• MuzicmanCa
    MuzicmanCa

I really got a kick out of the almonds story. I'll have to forward that one to some friends...

I don't have anything that good. There was, though, the time I was going door to door with one of my uptight friends, I think we were both about 17 at the time. Well, this guy I was with was a die hard JW, aspiring to pioneer, be a MS...all that. Also you have to know that he was kinda nerdy and not exactly the most graceful in the presence of the ladies. Well, it was his turn at the door, and this girl who was our age, and totally good looking comes to the door in her bikini. Now, ordinarily it would be no big deal, but the JW's I knew rarley got see this in real life; I can't think of a single sister that I knew that didn't wear a one piece swimsuit (the indecency!!...anyway, if you could have seen him completley choke on his presentation. He couldn't get the words out. But then the girl noticed his discomfort with thee situation and totally started to make fun of him. I felt for the guy, but it was totally funny...

I'm sure everybody has a story like that where someone comes to the door naked/half dressed. Never happened to me personally, but it seems that would be pretty funny...

Anyway...I'm rambling
    Muzicman

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Even I as a Catholic went door to door. That Catholics do this on occasion is a VERY WELL kept secret. We don't have to report hours or placement, and there is no "school" to teach us how to do it. My lack of training was QUITE obvious when I was handing out flyers for an evangelical team that was coming thru town. As I was "placing" bills one gentleman said to me, drink in hand, "God doesn't want an old sot like me". My silly response was "Hope you come"

WOW, given this opportunity now I could have perhaps really ministered to this guy. I was only 14 years old then. At age 14 I had no life experience to offer this guy. The appropriate quick response might have been "You're exactly the kind of person God wants", probably would have fallen on deaf ears as it came from a 14 yr old, but I still wish I would have said it.

Funny story, no, but then again, I've only went door to door a few times. I believe "Witnessing is as much about LIFESTYLE as it is kncoking on doors. I would like to compare notes with DUB about the number of times someone has actually let them explain the gospel and responded to it either by going door to door or just in life in general. I honestly can't count the number of times I've been given an opportunity to present the Gospel, and more than a handful have made a commitment to Christ by this (Thanks and praise be to God).

Just eating up time waiting to move now. God Bless.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Love the almonds story. Yerusalyim, I never had anyone answer the door naked, but when in high school had plenty of my female classmates answer the door wearing very little. Field service wasn't ALL bad!
    We had one sister many years ago who knocked on the door of a "shot house". (A house that sells alcohol on Sunday and usually also has gambling)
    She ended up sitting down at the table and playing a few hands of cards while witnessing. Hey whatever works!
    mike.

"Well done, Blind Squirrel! You've found an impressive nut!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I went on a Bible study with a friend of mine, who had laryngitis, so I had to conduct. The gal offered us some tea, and I didn't want to be rude, but the house was a PIT, very dirty. So we said okay, but I followed her to the kitchen to help. She boiled the water, and when ready to make the tea, she took dirty cups out of the sink, where they were sitting for who knows how long, and rinsed them, and poured the tea. It had floaters. I pretended to drink it. GROSSS!

But, it gets worse. Later, I had to use the bathroom. That was a mistake, but I had to go. When I sat down, the toilet tipped against the bathtub. It wasn't even fastened down. It was just rotting.

That woman progressed in her study, and became a dub too.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• r51785
    r51785

Regarding Richard Scarry--
    Doesn't Mr. Frumble remind you of an elder?

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

My story isn't super funny, but i'll let ya'll decide.

One Saturday, I went with my mother to this bible study of hers. THe lady's name was Catherine, same as my mother, and she was quite old, probably in her late 70's. She seemed a little on the senile side I remember, but my mom is mentally disabled, and senile a bit too, so they worked well together. Anyway, I was sitting in one corner of the room, while my mother was sitting in a chair. The woman got up to get my mother a drink, and I noticed something white on the back of her pants, almost like a post-it note, but I really couldn't tell because the lighting was very bad. When the woman came back from the kitchen, she walked over towards my mother, and I got a real good look at the white thing. Turns out the white thing, was a sanitary napkin. Apparently the woman forgot how to apply them, and put it on the outside of her pants!!!! I'll never forget that one. My mother wanted to tell her, but couldn't bare to embarras her. There was another sister there that day, and the other sister told her while we were all standing outside. Two neighbors looked outside because they heard what the loudmouth said. The woman turned so red, excused herself and ran into the house. She died a week later!!!!
    Joanne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit