Preaching... a requirement for baptism?

by StarTrekAngel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Steve2: Decades ago, JW baptism became a parade to bolster religious identity and pride. It served, not as a personal symbol of acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior (as occurred in the first century), but as a means to publically advertise organizational growth and prosperity.

And don't forget the implications it would have on the WTS' tax status as a 'religion' as well as qualify the 'publisher' to step up to the status of 'member' - a vital legal distinction that would be necessary to qualify as 'ministers of God' to side-step military duty. 

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Thanks for all the answers. Not to deviate from the topic here, Island Man, but so happens that this questions came around my family not long ago. Is baptism a requirement for salvation. If so, what about the criminal that died next to Jesus but asked him to remember him in his kingdom?
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Here are my notes on this topic after a C.O. Visit

Said by C.O.: “In order to be baptized, one must have a meaningful share in the ministry”

w02 4/1 p. 13 par. 18:

With few exceptions, when individuals are having a meaningful share in the Kingdom-preaching work and express a desire to be baptized, Christian elders hold discussions with them to make sure that they are believers who have made a dedication to Jehovah and who meet divine requirements for baptism. (Acts 4:4; 18:8) Personal responses to over 100 questions on Bible teachings help the elders to determine whether those responding meet Scriptural requirements for immersion. Some do not qualify and therefore are not accepted for Christian baptism.

w99 11/15 pp. 19-20 par. 6:

Some baptized Christians need to pray earnestly because they are not living up to the ministerial obligations they assumed when they made a dedication to God. Annually, well over 300,000 have been baptized for a number of years now, but the overall number of active Witnesses of Jehovah has not kept pace. Some who became Kingdom publishers have ceased to proclaim the good news. Yet, individuals must have a meaningful share in the Christian ministry before they are baptized. So they are aware of the commission Jesus gave to all his followers: “Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) Unless they have the most extraordinary limitations because of health or other factors beyond their control, baptized individuals who are no longer serving as active Witnesses of God and Christ are not living up to their whole obligation before our Grand Creator.—Isaiah 43:10-12.

w89 1/15 p. 20 par. 19:

There is, of course, a connection between our relationship with God and the work we do. We manifest love for Jehovah by doing the Kingdom-preaching work. In this regard, the late Grant Suiter, a former member of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, once wrote: “As I listened to [a certain traveling overseer] speak of the privileges of serving Jehovah and the responsibility to do so, I realized what I should do and what I wanted to do. Thus I made a personal dedication to Jehovah, and about the same time the other members of my family did also. On October 10, 1926, in San Jose, California, all of us together symbolized our dedication to Jehovah God by undergoing water immersion. . . . After the baptism . . . my father said to the elder overseeing the baptism: ‘You folks go out with the literature, don’t you? We want to do that work, too, now.’ So our family started out in the field ministry.” Today, qualified persons begin to have a meaningful share in field service even before getting baptized.

km 8/95 p. 2 par 4:

Set Progressive Goals: Reach out for a meaningful share in field service, showing a desire to qualify as a publisher. Keep up with the weekly Bible reading or, even better yet, read the entire Bible on your own. Make up your mind that you are going to meet the requirements for dedication and baptism. Your parents can help you to plan your curriculum in school carefully, with a view toward acquiring training that will equip you for a full share in Jehovah’s service. Concentrate on developing the kind of reputation that will prompt others to recommend you for special privileges such as pioneering or Bethel service. (Acts 16:1, 2) Achieving goals can help you “make sure of the more important things, so that you may be . . . filled with righteous fruit.”—Phil. 1:10, 11.

km 5/86 p. 7 Question Box:

How can we help our Bible students to qualify for baptism as disciples of Jesus Christ?

This can most effectively be done by (1) conducting a regular and progressive home Bible study, (2) encouraging regular attendance and participation at the five weekly congregation meetings, and (3) as soon as they become Scripturally qualified, helping and training them to have a meaningful share in the field ministry.

km 9/86 p. 3 Question Box:

When is a person eligible to receive his own copy of Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry, and how and when should the elders make arrangements for reviewing the questions with those desiring to be baptized?

Information on this subject is given on pages 173-5 of the Our Ministry book, under “Note to Congregation Elders.” There it is explained that when a person has conformed his life to Jehovah’s righteous standards, is a regular meeting attender, and is having a meaningful share in the field service as an approved associate, he may express to one of the elders his desire to be baptized and at that time receive a personal copy of Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry.—See also pages 97-100 regarding “approved associate.”

Come Be My Follower pp. 96-97 par: 19:

Jesus explains the next part of the commission, saying: “Teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.” (Verse 20) We teach new ones to heed Jesus’ commands, including the commands to love God, to love neighbor, and to be disciple makers. (Matthew 22:37-39) We progressively teach them to explain Bible truths and defend their growing faith. When they qualify to participate in the public preaching activity, we work along with them, teaching them by word and example how to have a meaningful share in this work. The teaching of new disciples is not necessarily finished prior to their baptism. Newly baptized ones may need additional instruction to help them meet the challenges involved in following Christ.—Luke 9:23, 24.

Knowledge p. 175 par. 9:

Preaching the good news to all kinds of people in the congregation’s territory is a way to find those who are righteously disposed and is among the fine works proving that you have faith. (Acts 10:34, 35; James 2:17, 18, 26) Regular attendance at Christian meetings and having a meaningful share in the preaching work are also ways to demonstrate that you have repented and turned around and are now determined to live in accord with the knowledge of God. What is the next logical step? It is to make a dedication to Jehovah God. This means that in heartfelt prayer, you tell God that you are willingly and wholeheartedly giving your life to him to do his will. This is the way to dedicate yourself to Jehovah and accept the kindly yoke of Jesus Christ.—Matthew 11:29, 30.

Comments:

Out of all of these references, not one includes a scripture to back up this rule/policy/doctrine. The Bible, on the other hand, has many references of individuals who were baptized and did not participate in the preaching work as a requirement for baptism. Let’s look at these:

Of those in Jerusalem at the Festival of Pentacost:

Acts 2:37-42: Now when they heard this they were stabbed to the heart, and they said to Peter and the rest of the apostles: “Men, brothers, what shall we do?” 38 Peter [said] to them: “Repent, and let each one of YOU be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of YOUR sins, and YOU will receive the free gift of the holy spirit. 39 For the promise is to YOU and to YOUR children and to all those afar off, just as many as Jehovah our God may call to him.” 40 And with many other words he bore thorough witness and kept exhorting them, saying: “Get saved from this crooked generation.” 41 Therefore those who embraced his word heartily were baptized, and on that day about three thousand souls were added. 42 And they continued devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to sharing [with one another], to taking of meals and to prayers.

Of those in Samaria listening to Philip:

Acts 8:12, 13: But when they believed Philip, who was declaring the good news of the kingdom of God and of the name of Jesus Christ, they proceeded to be baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself also became a believer, and, after being baptized, he was in constant attendance upon Philip; and he was amazed at beholding signs and great powerful works taking place.

Of the Ethiopian Eunuch:

Acts 8:36-38: Now as they were going over the road, they came to a certain body of water, and the eunuch said: “Look! A body of water; what prevents me from getting baptized?” 37 —— 38 With that he commanded the chariot to halt, and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Of Saul/Paul:

Acts 9:17-19: So An·a·ni′as went off and entered into the house, and he laid his hands upon him and said: “Saul, brother, the Lord, the Jesus that appeared to you on the road over which you were coming, has sent me forth, in order that you may recover sight and be filled with holy spirit.” 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes what looked like scales, and he recovered sight; and he rose and was baptized, 19 and he took food and gained strength.

Of Cornelius and his family:

Acts 10:44-48: While Peter was yet speaking about these matters the holy spirit fell upon all those hearing the word. 45 And the faithful ones that had come with Peter who were of those circumcised were amazed, because the free gift of the holy spirit was being poured out also upon people of the nations. 46 For they heard them speaking with tongues and magnifying God. Then Peter responded: 47 “Can anyone forbid water so that these might not be baptized who have received the holy spirit even as we have?” 48 With that he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they requested him to remain for some days.

Of Lydia and her household:

Acts 16:14, 15: And a certain woman named Lyd′i·a, a seller of purple, of the city of Thy·a·ti′ra and a worshiper of God, was listening, and Jehovah opened her heart wide to pay attention to the things being spoken by Paul. 15 Now when she and her household got baptized, she said with entreaty: “If YOU men have judged me to be faithful to Jehovah, enter into my house and stay.” And she just made us come.

Of the jailer and his family:

Acts 16:25-34: But about the middle of the night Paul and Silas were praying and praising God with song; yes, the prisoners were hearing them. 26 Suddenly a great earthquake occurred, so that the foundations of the jail were shaken. Moreover, all the doors were instantly opened, and the bonds of all were loosened. 27 The jailer, being awakened out of sleep and seeing the prison doors were open, drew his sword and was about to do away with himself, imagining that the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul called out with a loud voice, saying: “Do not hurt yourself, for we are all here!” 29 So he asked for lights and leaped in and, seized with trembling, he fell down before Paul and Silas. 30 And he brought them outside and said: “Sirs, what must I do to get saved?” 31 They said: “Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will get saved, you and your household.” 32 And they spoke the word of Jehovah to him together with all those in his house. 33 And he took them along in that hour of the night and bathed their stripes; and, one and all, he and his were baptized without delay. 34 And he brought them into his house and set a table before them, and he rejoiced greatly with all his household now that he had believed God

Of Crispus, his household and many other Corinthians:

Acts 18:8: But Cris′pus the presiding officer of the synagogue became a believer in the Lord, and so did all his household. And many of the Corinthians that heard began to believe and be baptized.

Of those in Ephesus:

Acts 19:1-7: In the course of events, while A·pol′los was in Corinth, Paul went through the inland parts and came down to Eph′e·sus, and found some disciples; 2 and he said to them: “Did you receive holy spirit when YOU became believers?” They said to him: “Why, we have never heard whether there is a holy spirit.” 3 And he said: “In what, then, were YOU baptized?” They said: “In John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said: “John baptized with the baptism [in symbol] of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they got baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul laid his hands upon them, the holy spirit came upon them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 All together, there were about twelve men.

Of Saul/Paul:

Acts 22:12-16: Now An·a·ni′as, a certain man reverent according to the Law, well reported on by all the Jews dwelling there, 13 came to me and, standing by me, he said to me, ‘Saul, brother, have your sight again!’ And I looked up at him that very hour. 14 He said, ‘The God of our forefathers has chosen you to come to know his will and to see the righteous One and to hear the voice of his mouth, 15 because you are to be a witness for him to all men of things you have seen and heard. 16 And now why are you delaying? Rise, get baptized and wash your sins away by your calling upon his name.’
  • steve2
    steve2
    The contrast between 1st century early Christianity and 20th - 21st Century JWs is absolutely staggering. It makes an utter nonsense of the JW proud claim that they (alone) stick to what they Bible says.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I thought it was this, Jesus baptized by water , to be  washed clean of the sin of denying he was the messiah for Israel. [apostasy] in Acts , those were fellow Israelite's,  the  'men of Judea ' who were being 'preached' to,

and brought back into the fold by their getting baptized. the 3000 repented. 

and so, no one other than the 12 who were told to go to the lost sheep of the house of israel and preach repentance were to do that work.

now, Paul baptism is 'in spirit',  and as a gentile I am not required to be baptized under the water of repentance since I was not  a member of the house of Israel. 

am I wrong?

• Island Man
    Island Man
    StarTrekAngel: "Is baptism a requirement for salvation."

It depends. If you can get baptized then you really should, in obedience to what the scriptures teach. But if circumstances make your baptism impossible then God will not hold it against you. It's kinda like committing fornication versus being raped. The former is deliberate disobedience and the latter is beyond your control. The circumstances of the criminal who died next to Jesus, made baptism impossible for him.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Baptism as christian or a pledge of loyalty to wtbts and nothing more! lol. wtf

100 questions I really love god? lol. wtf

Preaching or tending a metal cart! lol. wtf

Hundreds of thousands of hours building a magnificent campus for the magnificent 7     or preaching to the 'broken hearted'? lol . wtf

Cartoon characters for the kiddies or real deep meaningful bible prophecy (aka bs)     via Freddy Franz?     lol. wtf 

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit