Preaching... a requirement for baptism?

by StarTrekAngel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

So I have been doing some reading lately. I have yet to bump into the text that show that preaching is a requirement to qualify for baptism. In fact, I have read more paragraphs that say otherwise. Can anyone provide some input for or against this idea?

Thanks

• sir82
    sir82

Are you referring to a "text" from the Bible or from WT literature?

Obviously there is no Biblical text supporting the idea (just as there are no Biblical texts mandating meeting attendance, 80 questions by 3 elders, etc. etc. that JWS impose on prospective baptisees).

There is probably something in the "OD" book about preaching being a requirement for JW baptism. The OD book is not on any CD nor on the website.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers
    Look in the Our Ministry (Organization book) under the steps to get baptized......you will probably find what you are looking for....I think there is an expression like "No doubt you will want to share what you learn....."
  • steve2
    steve2

You must not take too seriously the Biblical texts that describe people being baptized virtually on the spot after hearing the early disciples preach the message of salvation through Christ.

That is very old light.

In the 20th Century, and beginning round Rutherford's time, new light filtered through culminating in Knorr's day in vigorous demands upon those seeking baptism. Prospective candidates had to be seen by Presiding Overseers/Elders as already active door knockers. You don't achieve that status ovetnight, either.

But don't take my word for it - and, especially do not fall into the tempting trap of being misled by Biblical texts that suggest baptism was a spontaneous, heartfelt response to hearing the message of salvation through Christ. Please, for your own wellbekng consult the latest light on this topic - perhaps a telephone call to one of your local elders?

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    LOL. Thanks brother Steve. I realize now that I was letting my faith down. I should have never doubted the WT advice on this. Your humble counsel is an example I must follow.
  • RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

When I was still in, this scripture was used for baptism :

Ezekiel 3:18New International Version (NIV)

18 When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for[a] their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.

The main reason I stopped attending the meetings was that I was no longer a publisher and inactive in field service. I hated field service.

I was sitting in the front seats when an Elder said the following in his talk:

" If you are a baptized and dedicated Jehovah's Witness and do not preach the good news, you will not survive Armageddon.''

• blondie
    blondie

First century Christians did not have to be baptized first to receive holy spirit.

Cornelius

not circumcised

was a soldier when baptized

received holy spirit before being baptized 

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The unwritten rules of the WTS would fill multiple volumes...
  • Island Man
    Island Man

Not only is preaching not a requirement to qualify for baptism, but, contrary to what Watchtower teaches, the work of active formal evangelizing is not even required of all christians!

And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers - Ephesians 4:11

JWs treat qualifying for baptism as if it were passing your college exams to graduate from college. But in reality, qualifying for baptism is more like meeting the basic requirements to enter into college.

When you look at the NT it is clear that one only needs to know the good news about Jesus, repent, and exercise faith in him to qualify for baptism. They grow in knowledge and understanding and mature further, after they're already baptized.

Something else about JW baptism that is clearly unscriptural is the long delay that candidates have to wait between qualifying and actually being baptized. The scriptures show that those who qualified were baptized teh same day that they were convinced. (Acts 2:41; Acts 8:36-38; Acts 10:44-48; Acts 16:33; Acts 22:16) The NT indicates that those who qualified were baptized immediately, without delay. Peter didn't even wait for Cornelius to resign from the army before baptizing him! JWs let baptismal candidates wait up to 6 months or however long until the next assembly or convention, before being baptized. The urgency of the person's salvation has to take a back seat to gloating and grandstanding over new recruits at the convention.

Imagine a scenario where a person is qualified to be baptized but he obeys the elders and the organization by delaying his baptism until the convention. But the end comes before the convention! Jesus says to him:

"Why are you not baptized?"

Person: "I already qualify and would be - would have been - baptized at the upcoming convention but the ... you ... have intervened. But I'm already dedicated and that's the most important thing, right?"

Jesus: "Why did you not get baptized without delay as soon as you qualifed?"

Person: "That's not how its done in the organization. The person has to wait until the next assembly or convention"

Jesus: "Did my faithful Witness, Cornelius, wait until the next convention? Did you never read of what Candace's attendant said to Philip when he qualified: "What prevents me from getting baptized?" You let men prevent you from getting baptized. You have shown greater affection for elders and for organization than for me. You are not worthy of me. Depart from me, you cowardly follower of men! To the lake of fire with you! There is where your weeping and gnashing of teeth will be."

• steve2
    steve2

Decades ago, JW baptism became a parade to bolster religious identity and pride. It served, not as a personal symbol of acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior (as occurred in the first century), but as a means to publically advertise organizational growth and prosperity.

Of course, in more recent years, with something of a downturn in baptisms - especially in western countries - there have been occasions when that parade has turned into a dwindling number of individuals exposed to the throngs - and, on occasion, lone individuals or none have been baptized.

In this regard, JWs claim to "simply" teach what is in Scripture falls flat - and the charitable side of me would hope that any claim that falls so very flat needs a body of water to break the fall - this is where baptismal fonts come in handy. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit