The Global Flood

by coldfish 290 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Mike,

: First I want to thank you for the tone of your post. It was neither insulting or mean spirited. Which is more than I can say for the posts of some here.Your comments were all intelligent and constructive.

Well, while I usually try to be both insulting and mean spirited, I think you're basically a nice guy and so I've refrained.

You're virtually always the same, despite what most people would see as severe provocation. Not that it isn't sometimes deserved.

: You wrote: Excellent comments, City Fan!

: I was already well aware of the information City Fan posted and already noted earlier in this thread on more than one occasion that the sun to moon distance ratio is very seldom exactly 400...

I'm aware of that. But the point is that, according to everything you've said until now, your entire argument about multiples of 4*10^X being biblically significant hinges on an EXACT number. Sometimes you seem aware of this, and sometimes not. You can't have it both ways, Mike. If you want an argument based on exact numbers, then stick to it and don't be yapping about slop in the real numbers. If you allow for some slop, then stop arguing about how close your various multiples are to an exact figure, allow that an unspecified amount of slop is ok, and be done with it. But if you do, then you must logically argue about what kind of limits you'd accept for your argument to still hold. If you don't, you're on a slippery slope, where no matter how far the limits slip, you'd still want to hold on to your basic claim. Thus, if a claim of "400 for this" actually turns out to be "100 for this", you could easily accommodate it -- which obviously makes the claim entirely meaningless.

: You wrote: [there is] "nothing new under the sun". ... I also found a reference in my old files to discussions that Mike and I had on the old H2O forum in 1999, so it's obvious that we've been going at it for some time.

: Yup, I've been studying this subject matter for several years now. During this time I have discussed this subject matter and all it entails with many people, including some of the world's most highly respected scholars in several fields of study. So, when you say, there "nothing new under the sun," for me that includes virtually all of the comments you have just made.

My point was that, if you looked at the old posts, you'd have found that I showed conclusively that some of the arguments you're still presenting -- in particular, claims about exact multiples of 4*10^X and your claim that on average, about once in 400 years total solar eclipses occur at any given spot on earth -- are demonstrably wrong.

: You wrote: Seiss referred to many scriptures to 'prove' the prophetic significant of the Great Pyramid, including Isaiah 28:16, Zechariah 4:7, Job 38:6, 7, Psalm 118:22-24, Matthew 21:32, 44, and Acts 4;11.

: None of those scriptures say anything at all about the Great Pyramid or any structure in Egypt.

Precisely my point. They do, however, say something that a clever expositor might exploit.

: That being the case, since the Bible does specifically say that "there will be signs in the sun, moon and stars," I believe I have been on much more solid ground, biblically speaking, looking closely at the physical heavens for possible indications of divine design than those who have studied the Great Pyramid looking for the same.

Nonsense. The Bible says nothing whatsoever about what such "signs" would entail. So when you try to assign a specific meaning to what the Bible does not explicitly describe, you're on just as unsolid ground as were the many Great Pyramid expositors. Plenty of expositors have interpreted those signs as being purely symbolic; others have claimed that they're real and have assigned all sorts of supposedly "real" interpretations to them. To date, all have failed.

: You wrote: I doubt that you've convinced many intelligent Christians of your ideas up to this point.

: You're right about that. Because I have not discussed my ideas with many intelligent Christians. The fact is I have not yet shared my entire study with anyone. And without someone actually closely reviewing my entire study, including all of my studies on Old and New Testament chronology, they could not possibly be convinced that my understanding of this matter is correct. I believe that will change in the not too distant future when my studies are published.

I seriously doubt that. The little drubbing you're getting here on JWD is but a tiny foretaste of what you'll get if you actually get your studies published. You'll have to have answered all of the criticisms brought forth here, and a lot more besides, to get your ideas accepted.

: You wrote: As history shows, applying numerology to the Bible has always resulted in extreme embarrassment to the proponents.

: That is because they have used Pyramid numerology and Bible chronology to predict the time of Christ's second coming.

Not just that. In ALL cases where people have applied numerology to the NT, they've screwed up royally. Can you think of even a single instance where there's an exception? If not, why would you think you're the lone exception in 2000 years?

: I am not doing that. I have only said that the signs I see in the sun, moon and stars point to the fact that 4,000 years past between Adam's creation and Christ's birth.

Perhaps not doing what you said, but you're certainly using numerology of sorts.

: You wrote: Another thing you've entirely ignored is the fact that many of the Bible's references to signs in "sun, moon and stars" are obviously symbolic. ... All of the above passages indicate that the "signs in sun, moon and stars" involve a dimming of these luminaries, and therefore have nothing to do with some kind of ratios of their physical sizes.

: I agree with you.

Then that should be the end of it.

: However, all of the passages you cited were not the ones I have cited in reference to, "the sign of the Son of Man." I believe before Christ's return the passages you cited will be fulfilled in a symbolic way, when Christianity is outlawed. At that time, "stars will fall from heaven," "the powers of the heavens will be shaken," and "the sun and the moon (heavenly, spiritual lights) will be darkened." However, that does not mean that all passages in Scripture which refer to "the sun, moon and stars" and "the sign of the Son of Man" appearing "in the sky" must be understood to refer only to the non-physical heavens.

Well, then, you'll have to deal with all of the relevant passages and show why some apply as I said and some don't. Otherwise you're just sweeping problems away with meaningless generalities. You have to get specific.

: You wrote: If these "signs" are nothing more than the ratios of the physical size of the sun and moon, then these "signs" have always been there ... it has been known since as far back as 1769 how far the earth is from the sun and the moon is from the earth, and their respective sizes .... for at least 235 years.

: I never said these signs "are nothing more than the ratios of the physical size of the sun and moon".

But that's the whole point of your argument that exact multiples like "the sun is 400X bigger than the moon" and "the moon is 400X closer than the sun" mean anything other than pure coincidence.

More importantly, you've implied that these "signs" have only become evident recently, although you've carefully avoided any actual time frame, perhaps already knowing that you'd be pinned down on this. I'm not sure that you're being upfront with people on this board.

: I believe for someone to see and understand these signs they must possess far more than a basic knowledge of astronomy. I believe they must also possess a proper understanding of Bible chronology.

But the bottom line is the ratios of sizes. You ain't got that, man, you ain't got nuthin.

: You wrote: Also, the "sign of the Son of man" is obviously different from the "signs in sun, moon and stars".

: That is not obvious to me.

Well it should be. For one thing, there are two sets of terms applied: "signs in sun, moon and stars" in various forms, and "the sign of the Son of man". For another, these are always referred to as happenings within a larger sequence of events. I see no hint anywhere in the Bible that these might not be different. Feel free to scripturally enlighten me if you disagree.

: You wrote: So you actually accept the JW chronology, except for the 607/587 problem. Whew!

: No.

Good! I thought you might be a backslider.

: They have much wrong. For instance, they use Ezek. 4's references to "390" years of "the sin of the house of Israel" to say that the kingdom of Israel was divided following the death of Solomon 390 years before the destruction of Jerusalem. This cannot possibly be a correct interpretation. For as Edwin R. Thiele clearly showed in his "Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings," no such chronological reconstruction of the divided kingdom is possible without rejecting many very well established historical facts.

You ought to say some words about that to our resident idiot-scholar who is a militantly braindead JW who blindly supports Watchtower chronology despite all contrary proofs.

: My study, which I believe is the most thorough ever done on this subject, and which largely agrees with Thiele's work shows that Jerusalem fell in 587 and the kingdom was divided in 935, 348 years earlier, not 390 years earlier as JWs tell us.

Sounds good to me.

: You wrote: Surely you know that a great many bible scholars have shown that a literal interpretation of the geneologies in various parts of the Bible are internally inconsistent and are extremely unlikely to be anything more than mythical traditions.

: I have studied these issues at great length and disagree with such Bible scholars.

Well, then, you'll have to prove it.

: I wrote: JWs also assign a 2 BC date to the birth of Christ. However, nearly all New Testament historians tell us that Christ was born in about the year 5 BC, some three years earlier than JWs say.

: You responded: You're relying on outdated scholarship. According to the latest scholarship, Jesus' birth is dated to mid-January, 2 B.C. (Cf. Jack Finegan, Handbook of Biblical Chronology, Revised Edition, 1998, pp. 366-7).

: Of course, I own and have read Finegan's latest book on this subject, along with a copy of his earlier work. I disagree with his latest conclusions for many very good reasons.

I will only comment on a few of your arguments, since I'm not an NT scholar and don't want to get involved in such a tedious enterprise. Suffice to say that I tend to trust world-class scholars much more than amateurs. I speak from our mutual JW experience. I'm sure you understand.

: You wrote: Luke 3 indicates that shortly after John the Baptist appeared, in the 15th year of Tiberius (Luke 3:1), Jesus was baptized and began his public ministry in the autumn. Finegan shows that the 15th year of Tiberius was 29 A.D., and that this year is established beyond question.

: I agree with all of that except the word "shortly." I believe John began his ministry 3 and 1/2 years before Christ began his ministry.

I've read all of your arguments several times, and I still think that they're essentially grasping at straws, and that you're ignoring many stronger arguments. I'll comment sporadically on some of your arguments.

: You wrote: Luke 3:23 states that Jesus was about 30 years old, and that is precisely consistent with a birth in 2 B.C. Obviously, a birth in 5 B.C. makes Jesus about 33 years old, so this date is wrong.

: I believe the solution to this problem can be found by taking a closer look at the word Luke used in Luke 3:23 which has been widely translated as "about." That Greek word is "hosei." Bible historians who date the birth of Christ to about 5 BC believe that Luke's saying that Jesus was "about 30" in 29 AD allows room for us to understand that Jesus could have been two or three years past 30 when he began his ministry. They also tell us that "hosei," the word Luke chose to use before the number 30, actually indicates a greater indefiniteness than the Greek word "hos" which Luke used elsewhere to convey the thought that the number he mentioned may not have been exactly as stated. And, Greek lexicons indicate that "hosei" may have actually been used here by Luke to mean more than just "about." They show that Luke may have used this Greek word to say that Jesus was then beginning his ministry "as if" he were 30, "as though" he were 30, "like" he was 30 or since he "had already been" 30. Why? Because Jewish men usually began their service to God at age 30 and were not permitted to do so before that age.

A couple of things here. First, hardly anyone would think that a person who said of a man who is 45 years old, "he is about 30", is giving a correct statement. Nor would that be true of a man who is 35. Or probably even 33. Both English and Greek usage, it appears to me, is that when people say "John is about 30" they mean give or take a year or so. "Or so" doesn't usually extend to three or more years. So the most likely case is that when the Bible says that Jesus was about 30, it really means 30 plus or minus not more than one year.

Second, you strongly argue that John the Baptist must have really started his ministry at precisely the age of 30, not based on an explicit divine calling he heard when he was about to begin it, but because he knew of various prophecies that pointed to him "just doing it", and he knew that 30 was the right time traditionally for the priestly class of Levites. Yet in the case of Jesus -- the greatest of all prophets and priests -- you claim an exception, that he was about 33 years old rather than 30. Why an exception? Not because it's needed in a general sense, but because you need the claim that there were exactly 4000 years between the births of Adam and Jesus to be true. So you're inconsistent in your argumentation here, and it's obvious why.

Third, a good deal of your argument rests on proving that John the Baptist began preaching some 3 1/2 years before Jesus did. While your argument is interesting, so far as I can see, you've discarded the rather clear language of Luke 3:1-7, which states that "in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar ... the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. And he came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins... He therefore began saying to the multitudes who were going out to be baptized by him, ..." The clear message is that as a result of the "word of God" that "came to John" "in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar", John "came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance". There is no hint of a delay of three and some odd years from the beginning of John's preaching to his receiving "the word of God", no hint that John began preaching three and some odd years before receiving this "word of God". The message is that John, very soon after receiving this message, began his preaching. I am not aware of any Bible commentators who disagree with this position, so if you have your own ideas, you're on thin ice.

You argue that the clear implication of the above passages is "only an assumption", but your only justification for dismissing the implication is a rather tortuous explication of various OT passages concerning Elijah. And, of course, your need to prove 4000 years from Adam to Christ.

There are a number of rather strong arguments that Jack Finegan advances that you need to deal with. In this thread, given a limited amount of space, you obviously can't do so. Nevertheless, in my opinion the balance of evidence is in favor of Finegan's chronology of the New Testament.

I'll leave further discussion of this to whoever might wish to after your final work is published.

: In confirmation of this conclusion you may find it very interesting to read an article on the Star of Bethlehem by Colen Humphreys here:

: http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Astronomy-Cosmology/S&CB%2010-93Humphreys.html

I've given my view of Humphreys' silliness in a previous post.

: I wrote: : I then have my attention drawn to the fact that our sun has a diameter that is exactly "400 times that of our moon,"

: You responded: Wrong again. Other posters have shown this several times.

: I have learned to refer to the 400 ratio between the moon's diameter and the sun's diameter as "nearly exact" from now on. Though I think you should be able to forgive me for my past error since 864,000 miles and 2,160 miles are the most widely cited numbers for their respective diameters.

I understand quite well where you got your figures. What I cannot understand is why, when I myself pointed out all of this to you as far back as 2001, and other posters pointed it out several times in this very thread, that you have kept on repeating those figures. One can only conclude that either you really didn't pay much attention to a lot of good critical posts, or you had to have the facts beaten into you. As Carl Jonsson has said of JWs, "they have to be virtually drowned in facts to get them to see it." That doesn't bode well for your future as a biblical apologist.

: I wrote: : and to the fact that the sun is also about "400 times as far away from us as the moon,"

: You responded: From the above figures, it?s clear that the ratio of the sun/earth and moon/earth distances varies from about 363 to 419, with an average of 389 -- not 400. So your statement is quite misleading.

: Notice the quotation marks around that statement. Notice also that I used the word "about" to qualify it, which the author of the article at the NASA web site I quoted from did not bother to do.

Quite right. But it seems to me that you're evading responsibility for trying to understand what a writer means when he says "400 times". Context determines what a reader should understand. Context is everything! When a normal person says that a thing is four hundred times bigger than something else, he most often means "four hundred as opposed to three hundred or five hundred". Some writers might mean "400 as opposed to 450 or 350". Or "400 as opposed to 401 or 399". Often, an unspecified amount of rounding off is done, and the reader is expected to understand or gloss over it. Think of it in terms of driving: when a driver says he drove 400 miles, how accurate do you think he wants to be? In popular writing, such as you've used for your figures, it's often not possible to tell from context just how accurate the figures are supposed to be. Is it 400 as opposed to 401 or 399? Is it 400.0000 as opposed to 400.6666 or 399.3333? Or 400.0000000000 as opposed to 400.6666666666 or 399.3333333333? It's all in the number of significant digits assumed by the writer and the reader.

Once again, your arguments hinge on exact figures, whereas real figures are not exact.
    : I wrote: and to the fact that the sun is also about "400 thousand times as bright as the full moon,"

: You responded: Abaddon has already shown that the ratio is about 402,000:1, so you're wrong again.

: I am? 402,000 is not "about 400 thousand"?

Yes, you're wrong. According to your above quotations, you said that the sun is "400 thousand times as bright as the full moon". You interpolated "about" as a later addendum. Please don't make me plow through pages and pages of material to prove this; you know perfectly well your earlier intent.

: Since when?

Since you argued about exact figures.

: Again my source did not even use the qualifying word "about" as I did.

Of course not. You quote from a popular source, not from a science journal. And in any case, you as an intelligent reader are expected to figure out the number of significant digits in the various figures given. It's not rocket science, just common sense.

: I wrote: and to the fact that we can observe a total eclipse over any one spot on earth "on average about every 400 years,"

: You responded: Again not so.

: You then proceeded to talk to us about annular eclipses, etc., while my statement referred to only to "total eclipses."

Right, but the point I made was that it's not easy to distinguish objectively between total eclipses and annular eclipses, because some eclipses start out as annular at one location on the earth, evolve to total at another point (because the distance from the earth to the moon is not constant during the eclipse), and perhaps go back to annular towards the end. Therefore, to claim something about total eclipses without discussing annular eclipses and the boundary between them, when trying to enunciate exact figures for their global frequency, is to fool oneself.

: Finally you wrote: about every 375 years for total eclipses.

: However, my quoted source (The Sun - Our Star, Robert W. Noyes, 1982, page 145) tells us that, "The average time between total eclipse paths crossing one location is about every 400 years."

Note the above discussion about rounding off and significant digits.

: You don't even cite a reference for your "about every 375 years" statement. But you expect all here to accept your source as being more accurate than mine. And I'm sure most here will.

Of course they will, because most readers know that I do my homework. Here are the facts as I've reconfirmed:

"Any point on Earth may, on the average, experience no more than one total solar eclipse in three to four centuries." ( http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=11202 )

"Total solar eclipses are rare events. Although they occur somewhere on the Earth approximately every 18 months, it has been estimated that they recur at any given spot only every 300 to 400 years." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse )

In light of these references, I hope you understand my above explication of rounding and significant digits.

As for my statement about 375 years, I retrieved that from our 2001 discussion. For some reason, I neglected to record the reference, but I found it again. The basic reference is originally from the Journal of the British Astronomical Association (Vol. 92, No. 3. pages 124-126 (April 1982) by Jan Meeus; article quoted in the book Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, Jan Meeus, 1997, Willmann-Bell, Inc., pp. 88-92). Jan Meeus is a Belgian astronomer and meteorologist, and has published many books on eclipses and other astronomical subjects. See the online catalog of Willmann-Bell for any number of examples of his publications ( http://www.willbell.com/ ). Meeus states:

We then, finally, obtain the following mean frequencies for any given point at the Earth's surface: a total eclipse once in 375 years, an annular eclipse once in 224 years, which, by combination, gives an annular or a total eclipse every 140 years for a place chose at random. Because our results are based on a sample of observable eclipses, they are subject to uncertainty of about 16 years' standard error for total eclipses.

Meeus also quotes (p. 88) an older classical textbook, Astronomy (H. N. Russell, et al), as follows: "We find that in the long run a total eclipse happens at any given station only once in about 360 years." Meeus observes that "these authors, however, give no details about how this mean frequency one total eclipse every three years has been found," and then proceeds to do his own statistical calculation.

I should note that the sources you quoted for the figure of "one eclipse per 400 years" also gave no references for their claims. So it's a bit much for you to take me to task over this. Note that Meeus gives full details in his article and book on how he arrives at his figures. Also note that the noted eclipse scholar F. Richard Stephenson (in Historical Eclipses and Earth's Rotation, Cambridge University Press, 1997) approvingly refers to Meeus' calculations on page 54: "According to the statistical estimate of Meeus (1982), the main interval between total eclipses at any given point on the Earth's surface is about 375 years, while for annular obscurations it is approximately 224 years."

Finally I want to make doubly sure you understand another point I tried to make. Solar eclipses occur as total or annular, and there is really a continuum between them. It's purely a matter of subjective judgment in some cases as to which is which. Since the combined total of eclipses, given above by Meeus, is about one eclipse per 140 years, you absolutely must deal with this question in order to come even close to a claim that each place on earth experiences a total solar eclipse about every 400 years.

: You wrote: Surely the Creator, if he really wanted to put physical signs in the sun and moon, could have arranged things such that the moon had a precisely circular orbit around the earth, and the earth-moon system a precisely circular orbit around the sun. And, of course, an exact ratio of 400:1 in diameters and distances -- a ratio that would be perfect, unchanging, to beyond our limits of measurement.

: Yes, He could have. But I think He was precise enough to catch our attention.

Correction: perhaps precise enough to catch your attention, but not necessarily that of most people.

: So much so that many astronomers marvel at our earth's sun/moon/400/diameter/distance ratio, which they tell us is responsible for producing total eclipses, calling it "a coincidence unlike anything else in nature," and a "serendipitous relationship unmatched in the solar system."

True enough, but there are lots of coincidences like that in all sorts of things. Surely I don't have to search around for examples to prove this to you.

: I wrote: and to the fact that our galaxy is said to have "400 billion stars,"

: You responded: you're relying on outdated figures, Mike. If you read that in any literature older than a few years, you're not taking into account new findings. Recently, astronomers have discovered that the galaxy actually contains a continuous range of sizes of large objects, from large planets like Jupiter, to super-large planets that just barely didn't ignite and form a star, to tiny stars that just barely ignited, to gigantic stars. These tiny stars are apparently far more numerous than larger stars, but because they're so small and faint they can only be observed indirectly. There are also a huge number of "dark stars", including white dwarfs too dim to observe from the earth, and neutron stars that can be observed only when interacting strongly with matter that falls on them.

: Ok, so maybe I should say, "400 billion observable light emitting stars".

How do you know that? Sagan, who you quoted, certainly didn't say that. And the point I made is that it's yet again a matter of subjective judgment as to how many "observable" stars there are. What is observable? Can you state the criterion with authority? Of course not. No one can.

In any case, the claim is simply wrong, because no one knows the answer, except to an extremly rough estimate that might be wrong by one to two orders of magnitude.

: I wrote: For the number 400 certainly can be viewed as a short form or "sign" form of the number 4,000,

: You responded: Sure. But why keep to the base ten numbering system? Why not use base 60, as the Babylonians did? Why not take the square root and round off? Why not divide 40-patterns into 5 x 8 patterns and find all manner of multiples thereof? Where do you stop?

: Why would God use mankind's most popular numerical system (the base 10 numbering system)?

: For the same reason His only begotten Son, "became flesh and lived for a while among us." (John 1:14) God loves us. So he speaks to us in our own language so we can understand him.

Oh come off it! I gave the example of the Babylonians because both they and the Mayans used base 60 arithmetic, which shows that base 10 arithmetic is not "our own language" -- it's merely the most common way to express numbers today.

Your claim implies that God, when designing our universe and the humans that would inhabit it, arranged things such that base 10 would be the "natural language" -- whatever that means -- of arithmetic as practiced by humans. Don't you think that's stretching things more than a bit?

: Of course, it is also my position that God put these signs in the sky to help people in our day put their faith in Jesus Christ.

Which is precisely the point of argument here.

: And nearly all people today use the base ten numbering system.

Sure, in our modern times. But remember that the "signs in sun, moon and stars", as you've expounded, existed long before humans came on the scene. And the various numerical ratios are ever-changing due to the recession of the moon from the earth, etc.

: You wrote: you still refuse to acknowledge that the figures you claim are exact are not exact at all. For example, in your above post to one, you said: : I certainly realize that the 400 X distance ratio in comparing the earth's distance from the sun to the earth's distance from the moon is not a constant. In fact that ratio is only exact twice every lunar cycle, in other words, about twice a month. But it can truthfully be said that the sun is always exactly 400 X the size of the moon, in diameter, and it is always about 400 X as far away. ..... How can you continue to restate this falsehood?

: How can you continue to call it a falsehood?

Because it's demonstrably a falsehood, especially in the context you've defined, which requires that the various ratios be exactly 400 in order to have other than academic significance.

: I cited several very credible sources which gave the dimensions of the sun and moon.

Yes, which you've already admitted, more or less, were rounded off, and that other sources give more exact figures which result in variable ratios that don't average out to exactly 400.

: The ratio of those dimensions as cited is an exact 400.

Which you admitted above, and in a post responding to Abaddon, was a roundoff error!

: You and Abaddon cited other sources which give a very slight difference in those dimensions. If your sources are correct and mine are incorrect then the ratio is about 400.5.

Since we're splitting hairs here, note that the NASA figures yield 400.67. If you have better figures than NASA, let's see them.

: If that is the case then I should have said "an almost exact 400".

That'll really let you grab the ring, alright! LOL! Since your argument requires an exact 400, "almost 400" doesn't cut it. Unless, of course, as I said above, you manage to present an argument where you can set reasonable limits, and the reasons for them, on the bounds of the ~400 ratios.

: For Abaddon to have repeatedly called me a liar over this very small difference was ridiculous.

He didn't. Apparently you've gone back to the relevant posts and cleared this up.

: The fact of the matter is the sun/moon diameter ratio may indeed be an exact 400. For, from what I have read, measuring the sun's diameter appears to be a very inexact science, as pointed out here: http://www.astro.iag.usp.br/~adelabr/Leister01_28.pdf#search='solar%20diameter%20measurement'

More "dog ate my homework" argumentation. The stuff in the link gives no comfort to your claims, Mike. At best it shows that the sun's diameter is variable -- which in itself clobbers your claim of exactly 400, since a variable diameter for the sun, in conjunction with a constant diameter for the moon, obviously results in a variable ratio.

AlanF

• a Christian
    a Christian

Leolaia, I cited the Space.com article only for its reference to the fact that dendrochonologists now tell us that tree ring growth patterns from around the world indicate that earth experienced a major climate disturbance in about the year 2350 BC, a disturbance which they tell us resulted in flooding in various parts of the world. I have a book by dendrochronologist, Mike Braille, which discusses at some length a few such major climate disturbances in earth's not too distant past, as recorded by tree ring growth patterns. The fact that one of these very few major climate disturbances occurred between the years 2354-2345 BC indicates to me that my understanding of Bible chronology, which dates Noah's flood to that same time period, may very well be a correct understanding. By referencing that article I did not mean to indicate that I agreed with all of its contents. You wrote: To hold onto 2350 BC as the date for these floods, one would thus require an ultra-low chronology (lower than any I know of currently endorsed) that would place the entire Uruk, Jemdet Nasr, Early Dynastic I and II, and Old Akkadian periods after 2350 BC. As I said earlier, I see a couple of possibilities. First, one or more of these Mesopotamian flood deposits may have been laid down by Noah's flood but have been incorrectly dated, due to faulty assumptions. Second, all of these flood deposits which have been "dated" earlier than 2350 B.C. have been correctly dated, but none of them were a product of Noah's flood. FunkyDerek, You wrote: I can't believe somebody could read that book and still espouse such wacky numerology. If I see a set of IP numbers attached to someone's posts on this discussion board and then I see that same set of IP numbers attached to someone's posts on another discussion board, is it "numerology" to strongly suspect that the posts on both boards were created by the same person? Certainly not. When I see the numbers 4, 40 and 400 used prominently throughout the Bible and then I see that the same numbers often appear in the astrophysical data of our sun, moon and stars, is it "numerology" for me to strongly suspect that both the Bible and the sun, moon and stars were created by the same God? I don't think so. One, I wrote: I believe this "sign" will help some people to put their faith in Christ who are now having a hard time doing so, due to being told that there is no scientific evidence that the God of the Bible exists.

You asked? Was that your case? Yes, it was.

You asked: What's the estimated 'success rate'? mainly outside this board, the result in this board is more or less obvious. I can't answer that. For, as of now, no one on this board or anywhere else has ever read my entire study of this subject matter. I have said that the Bible clearly indicates that exactly 4,000 years passed between Adam and Christ. However, I have never here demonstrated that to be true. However, I have said that this understanding, 4,000 years from Adam to Christ, is a very important part of "the sign of the Son of Man". That being the case, I really don't expect many people to be moved to put their faith in the God of the Bible before seeing for themselves that the Bible really does tell us that exactly 4,000 years passed between Adam and Christ. Some have found the mere fact that the same set of numbers appear in both the Bible and in the astrophysical data of the sun, moon and stars to be faith building. But I believe to personally see how these numbers in the Bible and in the sky point directly to Jesus Christ is what is most faith building. As of now, I do not intend to publish that study on this board. For I don't see that anyone here has really expressed much interest in such a "Bible study." Most here have little respect for the Bible and its historical accuracy. So I'm sure a study of Bible chronology on this forum would go over like a lead balloon. That's understandable. Ex-JWs have good reason to be suspicious of any studies having to do with "Bible chronology". You wrote: The wide spread inclination to refute the bible based on scientific evidence is rather a recent 'movement', so the "help" for such a minority group was supplied before the problem appeared, dont you think? Not really, the timing seems about right to me.

You asked: What kind of help has been supplied for the majority who wonder where is god/jesus when they for no apparent reason confront so many problems, catastrofic "natural" and man made events. Lots. We have prayer, God's Holy Spirit, the Bible, libraries filled with all sorts of Bible commentaries and books on every related subject, fellow believers (a.k.a. the body of Christ), spiritual shepherds (Church ministers), Internet Christian discussion forums. Not to mention the intelligent minds God gave us. You wrote: The bible, that you beleive is inspired thanks to the "help", does not seem to provide a clear answer even to those who beleive in it. Do you know the 'answer'.? Sure. Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Ask God to forgive your sins. Begin living a new life as a disciple of Christ, always following His example as closely as you can.
  • AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Mike,

: You wrote: I'm slowly looking through your previous post to me, ... from what I've seen so far, your dating of John the Baptist's ministry has even less support than the claims made by the space.com author. It's all smoke and mirrors designed to support a system that's as much a deck of cards as is the Watchtower's 1914 'chronology'.

: You make very negative comments about a post you admit you have not even read.

I didn't say that I had not read your post. I had indeed read it. I said that "I'm slowly looking through" your post, obviously with a view to critiquing it.

: You then compare my studies of Bible chronology, a very thorough and greatly detailed study which succeeds in harmonizing virtually all biblical and relevant extra biblical historical data, a study which you have never read, to the Watchtower's chronology, a chronology which we all know is built on proven falsehoods and which completely ignores a myriad of well established historical facts. As I said before, I once thought of you as a tough but fair minded critic. No longer.

So be it. Nelson Barbour, Charles Taze Russell, and a host of other self-proclaimed "Bible commentators" have built enormous biblical interpretive edifices, all of which have fallen. You have no choice but to admit that, in a very general sense, your efforts are no different from theirs. Of course, if we narrow things down to specifics, it's possible, in a very general sense, that you're an exception to the rule. Time, if nothing else, will tell. In the meantime, it appears to me that you're evolving upon lines similar to those of Barbour, Russell, and a host of nameless others who taught that their interpretations of the Bible were absolutely correct and were divinely directed -- all of whom were proved wrong in due course of time. Have you no sense of history? Apparently not, for Russell and his contemporaries also had no sense of history -- to the ultimate detriment of their followers.

: I know my post concerning dating the birth of Christ by understanding the length of time John preached before Christ's ministry began was a long one. But no longer than some of your posts have been, posts which I have thoroughly read before commenting on them.

Yeah, and to the extent that I can and want, I've answered it in some detail.

But it appears that once again you've completely mistunderstood a simple post of mine. I never said that I didn't read all of your post before commenting on it. I merely said that I was slowly working through it, which is another way of saying, essentially, "I haven't figured out how to respond to it yet, but I'm working on it." Obviously, in view of my rather long post in response to that post, in the intervening time I have indeed figured out how to respond. So it was -- as if I really had to say it -- a mere matter of time, not of ability or intent.

: I can understand that you may be too busy to read one of my long posts. That's fine. But then you will understand why I am not now bothering to respond much of what you have just said. There is little point in doing so if you are not going to read my response anyway.

Given your gross misunderstanding of my words, along with the fact that I did indeed respond in some detail, it will be interesting to see your responses.

: By the way, I very carefully read all of Humphreys' article on "The Star of Bethlehem". I can only conclude after reading your review of it ("just a pile of silliness") that your reading of it was anything but careful.

Well then, I can only conclude that your powers of critical analysis are on a par with those of Watchtower writers. If you disagree, then you'll obviously have to delve into detail.

: As I told Leolaia earlier, I cited the Space.com article earlier only for its reference to the fact that dendrochonologists now tell us that tree ring growth patterns from around the world indicate that our earth experienced a major climate disturbance in about the year 2350 BC, a disturbance which they tell us then resulted in flooding in various parts of the world.

Oh, come on! Backpedaling at its worst.

Fact is, dendrochronology identifies lots and lots of climate disturbances. The problem is to identify them with specific local or global events so as to make sense of the overall pattern. The science is in its infancy, and all narrow claims are open to interpretation. How can you not know this?

: By referencing that article I did not mean to endorse all of its contents and conclusions or the quality of all of its scholarship.

Then you should have made a very specific statement about what you endorsed, rather than letting your readers conclude that you endorsed all of the article's claims.

: That being the case, I have no real interest in discussing or defending most of that article, the contents of which I believe you fairly critiqued.

In other words, you gave a bad reference, which you now retract. Fair enough.

AlanF

• one
    one

A Cristian

I asked: What's so important about the sign then?

Your answer: I believe this "sign" will help some people to put their faith in Christ who are now having a hard time doing so, due to being told that there is no scientific evidence that the God of the Bible exists.

Let me repeat what i said before using different words.Focus on the idea not the words.

1.- According to you the "sign" is a solution to a problem.

2.- The solution was designed, implemented long before the problem existed.

To the above basic statements you answered: " Not really, the timing seems about right to me."

Your answer is not an appropiate answer. Pleas elaborate around the two (2) basic statements.

• a Christian
    a Christian

One,

That's not too tough. God anticipated a problem and provided help for it in advance, help that would be understood at the appropriate time.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Christian,

Making a post with a million miles of white space that says nothing has convinced me that the bible is God's word.

• a Christian
    a Christian

Alan, I had edited out my comments to you very shortly after posting them when I saw you had gone back and read what I posted. I misunderstood you to say that you were probably not going to be reading all of what I wrote but criticizing it anyway. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, and for assuming the worst of you. I was half asleep from a long day when I read what you wrote and wrote what I did. Please accept my apology. Several of the things you have said I have found quite valuable. Including some of your comments on my contention that John the baptist must have preached 3 and 1/2 years before Christ's ministry began. I still believe that but my arguments need some adjusting.

I wrote: My study, which I believe is the most thorough ever done on this subject, and which largely agrees with Thiele's work shows that Jerusalem fell in 587 and the kingdom was divided in 935, 348 years earlier, not 390 years earlier as JWs tell us.

You responded: Sounds good to me.

In case you wonder how that can be done, in light of the "390" years referred to in Ezek 4, It is largely done by understanding the "40 year" reign of Solomon really lasted "80 years", as Josephus tells us. His "40" years of rule, as per the Bible, were years in which he ruled over "all Israel", i.e. years of unchallenged rule.
    If you have time and interest in this subject, I'd appreciate your feedback on what I have written below, as this understanding really amounts to the "linchpin" of my "4000" year chronology.
    The "390" years of Ezekiel 4 and the "40 years" of Solomon
    I believe that before we can understand the "390" years of Ezek. 4 we must first understand when the kingdom of Israel was divided into two separate kingdoms. To do this we must study and understand the history of the divided kingdom as recorded in scripture, a task which has perplexed both Bible students and "Bible scholars" for over two thousand years.

Many attempts have been made to harmonize all of the apparently conflicting chronological information contained in the books of Kings and Chronicles pertaining to the times the kings of Israel and Judah ruled their kingdoms. I believe that the only people who have ever come close to successfully doing so have been those who have paid very close attention to all of the historical synchronisms contained not just in the Bible, but also in the historical records of Israel's and Judah's contemporary neighboring nations. Anyone who has ever managed to come close to establishing full harmony within the text of scripture on these matters has only been able to do so when they have also accepted and paid close attention to all of the dates which historians now provide to us for all extrabiblical historical synchronisms. Dates such as 853 for the battle of Qarqar, 721 for the fall of Samaria, 701 for Sennacherib's siege of Jerusalem, 605 for the battle of Carchemish and 568 for the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar. The most well known work on this subject matter is that done by Edwin R. Thiele. It is contained in his book, The Mysterious Numbers Of The Hebrew Kings.

In his book Thiele maintains that the death of Solomon and the subsequent division of his kingdom into the two separate nations of Israel and Judah took place in 930 BC. Though I do not fully agree with all of Thiele's conclusions I agree with most of them. And I certainly agree with his conclusion that the kingdom could not have been divided much sooner than 930 BC, as some Bible students still believe that it was.

I do, however, slightly disagree with Thiele on the exact date of the schism. I believe the kingdom was split in two in the year 935 BC rather than the year 930 BC as Thiele's work indicates. Why do I believe this? Because Thiele failed to take into account what certainly appears to be a five year overlap, known as a "coregency," between Judah's kings Abijah and Asa. The Bible tells us that Asa's days as king began with "ten years of peace." (2 Chron. 14:1,6) I believe this must refer to his years as sole king following five years as coregent. For the Bible also clearly indicates that the first war during Asa's reign was in his "15th year." (2 Chron.15:10) Thiele tells us, and I agree, that the words of 2 Chron. 15:19, "There was no war until the 35th year of Asa's reign," should be understood as saying, "There was no war until the 35th year (since the division of the kingdom) in Asa's reign." We know this because 1 Kings 15:16 speaks of a war between Asa and Baasha "in the 36th year of Asa's reign," but Baasha's rule ended long before Asa's 36th year. (1 Kings 16:6,8) That being the case, 2 Chron. 15:19 and 1 Kings 15:16 must be referring to the number of years which had then passed from the division of the kingdom. And since Rehoboam, Judah's first king, ruled 17 years and was followed by Abijah who ruled 3 years we see that Asa began to rule 20 years after the schism. And since his first 10 years were years of peace, war must have first broken out between Asa and Baasha some 30 years after the kingdom was divided, not 35 years, unless the "10 years of peace" being referred to were the first 10 years of Asa's sole rule, following a 5 year coregency. I believe had Thiele followed this line of thinking, which he had somewhat begun by discussing these verses, he would have reached the same conclusion I have, that the division of the kingdom must have occurred, not in 930 BC, but five years earlier in 935 BC.

Through my studies I have been able to fully reconcile all apparently contradictory chronological information pertaining to the reigns of Israel's and Judah's kings in the books of Kings and Chronicles. However, after doing so I was left with a date of 935 BC for the division of the kingdom. And I was still left without a clear understanding of Ezekiel chapter 4:1-6 which refers to a period of "390" years of "the sin of the house of Israel," a reference which has caused many Bible commentators over the years to conclude that the death of Solomon and the division of the kingdom occurred 390 years before Babylon's destruction of Jerusalem. For instance, Matthew Henry's commentary on this part of scripture tells us that "the 390 years" should be reckoned from the "first apostasy under Jeroboam until the destruction of Jerusalem." (By the way, Thiele completely ignored the subject of how we should understand Ezek. 4:1-6.)

Here is how I now understand Ezek. 4:1-6. I believe Josephus was correct when he told us that Solomon ruled for 80 years and died at age 94. (Antiq. 7.8) I believe the Bible credits Solomon with only "40 years" because, as I found in my study of the chronology of the divided kingdom, Bible writers did not count the years of a king's reign following the time the legality of that reign was seriously challenged. Of course, the Bible is also right. Because to rule for 80 years Solomon first had to rule for 40 years. The fact is, what 1 Kings 11:42 actually tells us is that Solomon ruled "over ALL Israel for forty years." This wording certainly leaves open the possibility that Solomon ruled for longer than 40 years, but that his additional years of reign were years in which some residents of Israel rejected him as their king.

I believe that the Bible itself clearly indicates that Solomon ruled for more than 40 years. For if Solomon ruled only 40 years how can we explain the fact that the Bible tells us that Solomon was only a "child" (1 Kings 3:7) when he became king, but also says that his son Rehoboam "was 41 years old when he became king" and that his mother "was an Ammonite"? (2 Chron.12:13) Now unless Solomon fathered a child with an Ammonite woman when he was a young boy, two years before he became king, he must have ruled for more than 40 years. We also know God promised Solomon "a long life." (1 Kings 3:14) Becoming king as a boy and ruling 40 years means Solomon would have died in his 50s, which does not add up to "a long life." A long life in Solomon's day meant the same thing as it does today, 70s, 80s, or even 90s. If Solomon ruled for only 40 years how do we explain these things?

Other factors also point to my acceptance of Josephus chronology of Solomon's reign, including the fact that he never any place else contradicts the chronological information contained in the Old Testament pertaining to the length of the reign of any other Hebrew king by more than one year. This occasional one year difference can be easily accounted for by the fact that either he or his sources were then employing a different system of reckoning, or a different calendar, than that used by the writers of Kings and Chronicles.

I believe the 390 years of the house of Israel's sin began at the end of Solomon's first 40 years as king. I believe it was then that Jeroboam, the man God had previously chosen as the ten-tribe nation of Israel's first king, fled to Egypt following his unsuccessful attempt to overthrow Solomon's government. In Egypt Jeroboam was geographically unable to offer sacrifices to God at Jerusalem's Temple, sacrifices which the Jewish law required to gain God's forgiveness for sin. Since he there was no longer able to offer those sacrifices he no longer was forgiven by God for his sins, including the very serious sin he had just committed against Solomon.

I believe those 390 years of sin continued when, after returning from Egypt to become Israel's first king in 935 BC, Jeroboam successfully persuaded the people who made up his new ten-tribe kingdom to follow his lead in continuing to neglect offering God the sacrifices for their sins which the Jewish Law required in order for them to receive God's forgiveness for their sins. And I believe, since the people living in northern Israel continued to neglect those sacrifices all the way up to the time Babylon began its siege of Jerusalem, the years of "the sin of the house of Israel" continued to be counted by God all the way up until that time. The term "the house of Israel" is used in Ezekiel and elsewhere to refer not just to Jeroboam and the kings who followed him on Israel's throne, but also to all of the apostate spiritual leaders in northern Israel, and in an extended sense to all who their followed their spiritually corrupt lead. This included a very large number of Jews who remained in northern Israel long after the northern kingdom of Israel officially ceased to exist when its capital city, Samaria, was captured by Assyria in 721 BC. (See, for instance, Ezek. 8:6-12; 37:15-23 and Jer. 31:31.)

This understanding requires that we understand Jeroboam to have been "a young man" (Josephus Antiq. 7.8), probably in his early 20s, when he rebelled against Solomon and fled to Egypt, that he was a middle aged man, probably in his early 60s, when he returned home to become northern Israel's first king, and that he was an old man, probably in his early to mid 80s, when he died after ruling for "twenty-two years." (1 Kings 14:20) The Bible tells us that Ahijah the prophet once had no trouble seeing well enough to tear a coat into twelve pieces. This was when he first met Jeroboam, before Jeroboam's flight to Egypt. (1 Kings 11:30) However, it informs us that later on, during Jeroboam's reign as king, "Ahijah could not see. His sight was gone because of his age." (1 Kings 14:4) I believe this is because over 40 years passed between these two events in the life of Ahijah.

This understanding of scripture also requires that we recognize the fact that the "Shishak" to whom Jeroboam fled (1 Kings 11:40) was not the same "Shishak" who plundered Jerusalem's Temple "in Rehoboam's fifth year." (2 Chron. 12:2) I believe Jeroboam fled to Shoshenq I and it was Shoshenq II who later plundered Jerusalem's Temple. Why? Because Egyptian history tells us that Shoshenq I did not rule long enough to have his reign include both of these events which were, according to this understanding, separated by some 45 years. It also tells us that Shoshenq II ruled only about one year. By recognizing Shoshenq II as the Pharaoh who plundered Jerusalem in Rehoboam's 5th year, and having previously established 935 BC as the date when the kingdom was divided, we can date the one year reign of Shoshenq II to 931 BC. Then, following the standard chronology for the history of Egypt's Pharaohs we find that the reign of Shoshenq I began some 55 years earlier, in 986 BC and ended some 21 years later in 965 BC, during which time I believe Shoshenq I gave refuge to Jeroboam who fled to him in 975 BC.

This understanding of Bible chronology and Egyptian history dates the Exodus to 1492/91 BC and tells us that Tuthmosis III was then Egypt's Pharaoh, a Pharaoh who in his 30th year (which would be 1491 BC according to this understanding) "received an ambassador from an unidentified Asiatic land who came to pay him homage." (A History Of Ancient Egypt by Nicholas Grimal, pg. 215) I believe this "ambassador" was Moses who came from Midian. (Ex. 4:19-21) Egyptian history also tells us that eighty years earlier Pharaoh Ahmose was ruling Egypt, the Pharaoh who began a new dynasty after ridding Egypt of the Hyksos kings. Ahmose then would be understood to be the "new king who arose over Egypt who did not know Joseph." (Ex. 1:8) Notice the similarity between the names of Ahmose and Moses. Could Ahmose's daughter have chosen the name she did for her adopted son partly to honor her father?

Now we come to "the sin of the house of Judah." (Ezek. 4:6) I believe the 40 years of "the sin of the house of Judah" began in the 13th year of Josiah (Jer. 25:3), when the people of Judah refused to listen to Jeremiah and to the other prophets God sent to tell them that He would no longer put up with their false worship. I believe the 40 years of "the sin of the house of Judah" ended in "the ninth year of Zedekiah" when Babylon's siege of Jerusalem began. (Jer. 52:4; 2 Kings 25:1) As Jeremiah told the people of Judah, though God had once graciously forgiven all of their sins He had decided to no longer do so. Jeremiah informed them that because they had not listened to God's prophets, which He began sending them "in the thirteenth year of Josiah," God had decided to devote their land to destruction. From the 13th year of Josiah, when God's prophets told the people of Judah His forgiveness for their sins would no longer be given to them if they continued to worship other gods, to the 9th year of Zedekiah, when Babylon's army began its siege of Jerusalem, 40 years (or parts thereof) passed. I believe that this is the 40 years of "the sin of the house of Judah" referred to in Ezek. 4:6 which God counted against Judah. For the Bible is very careful to tell us that it was "in the thirteenth year of Josiah" that God began sending his prophets to urge "the house of Judah" turn away from their false worship and it is very careful to tell us that from "the thirteenth year of Josiah" they had "not listened or paid any attention" to God's prophets. It was this 40 years of continued sin that was responsible for Judah's demise. So it is reasonable to conclude that it was this 40 years of sin that God counted against "the house of Judah" in Ezek. 4:6.

But why did God forgive Judah for so long, and hold only this final 40 year period of their sin against them? And why did God hold all 390 years of the house of Israel's sin against them? The answer is a simple one which I have already alluded to. The people of Judah, aided by their Levite Priests, for the most part, faithfully offered God all the sacrifices His Law required in the way it required them to do so. Because they did so, God forgave them of all of their sins just as He had promised them that He would. Because God forgave their sins up until the 13th year of Josiah he could not count their years of sin before that time against them. Thus God counted only Judah's final 40 years of sin. But He counted all 390 years of "the sin of the house of Israel." For "the house of Israel" had not offered God the sacrifices for their sins which His Law required them to do.

There is a lesson for us here. God will as He has promised, through the shed blood of Jesus Christ, completely overlook our many years of sin and not count them against us. But even this forgiveness of His has limits. We cannot use the undeserved kindness of God, which Christ bought for us with His own blood, as an excuse to go on living immoral lives. The people of the house of Judah did that. And 40 years before Babylon besieged Jerusalem the forgiveness God had for so long given them, a forgiveness bought with the blood of bulls and goats, ran out.

Much of what you wrote again critisized the fact that the "400s", which I see in the sun, moon and stars, are not exact 400s. You wrote: your arguments hinge on exact figures ... However, I do not believe they do. For one thing, as I have pointed out, the Bible itself, inspired by God, often uses round numbers. Why then would the same God who often used round numbers in the Bible, find their use unacceptable in communicating with us by other means, especially if they were exact enough to catch the attention of many people? Besides, the connection of the 400s is to the number of years which passed between Adam's creation and Christ's birth. But I do not maintain that Christ was born exactly 4,000 years after Adam's creation. Rather, I maintain that He was born 3,999 years later, in the year 4000 counting the year of Adam's creation as year number 1.

I wrote: and to the fact that we can observe a total eclipse over any one spot on earth "on average about every 400 years"

You responded by quoting other sources which indicate that number is probably closer to 375 years. It well may be. But if it is, it has obviously not stopped some astronomers from seeing the number "400" in that ratio.
    Besides, I tend to believe how one arrives at this number is a very inexact science. It may have something to do with how precisely someone defines and measures the path of totality. For various astronomical reference works give us various numbers, including some greater than 400. This one for instance tells us that, "For any one location, total eclipses of the sun occur rarely; on average, once every 410 years or so." http://www.krysstal.com/ecintro.html

: You wrote: Surely the Creator, if he really wanted to put physical signs in the sun and moon, could have arranged things such that the moon had a precisely circular orbit around the earth, and the earth-moon system a precisely circular orbit around the sun. And, of course, an exact ratio of 400:1 in diameters and distances -- a ratio that would be perfect, unchanging, to beyond our limits of measurement.

I responded: Yes, He could have. But I think He was precise enough to catch our attention.

You came back: Correction: perhaps precise enough to catch your attention, but not necessarily that of most people. I believe that may be God's intention. He may not now want to hit all unbelievers on the head with a frying pan, so to speak. I wrote: So much so that many astronomers marvel at our earth's sun/moon/400/diameter/distance ratio, which they tell us is responsible for producing total eclipses, calling it "a coincidence unlike anything else in nature," and a "serendipitous relationship unmatched in the solar system."

You responded: True enough, but there are lots of coincidences like that in all sorts of things. None other which creates what is often called, "The greatest spectacle in nature." I wrote: For the number 400 certainly can be viewed as a short form or "sign" form of the number 4,000,

You responded: Sure. But why keep to the base ten numbering system? Why not use base 60, as the Babylonians did? Why not take the square root and round off? Why not divide 40-patterns into 5 x 8 patterns and find all manner of multiples thereof? Where do you stop?

You asked: Why would God use mankind's most popular numerical system (the base 10 numbering system)? I responded: [God] speaks to us in our own language so we can understand him. The base 10 numbering system was almost certainly created by someone counting on his fingers. We have ten fingers. That's most likely why base ten is and always has been the most popular numbering system. I'm sure for that reason God knew it would be and, for that reason, used that numbering system in the Bible and in the sun, moon and stars.

I wrote: And nearly all people today use the base ten numbering system. You responded: Sure, in our modern times. But remember that the "signs in sun, moon and stars", as you've expounded, existed long before humans came on the scene. And the various numerical ratios are ever-changing due to the recession of the moon from the earth, etc. But I believe God can see into the future. So, if He intended for this "sign" to serve as a "sign" only in our day He would certainly have used the base ten system. So far as your statement that, "ratios are ever-changing due to the recession of the moon from the earth, etc.", I'm sure you know that these ratios have not changed in any significant way in the last several thousand years. But even if they had, if the sign was meant to be "seen" only in our day your comment would not be relevant.

I wrote: For Abaddon to have repeatedly called me a liar over this very small difference was ridiculous.

You responded: He didn't. Apparently you've gone back to the relevant posts and cleared this up. No, what I cleared up was my misunderstanding that he was upset because he believed that I had called him a liar, which I did not do and which it turns out he did not say I did. He was upset with me for misunderstanding and misrepresenting something he had written, which I have since apologized for. However, he has repeatedly called me a liar. But that's what I come to expect in such discussions.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    If I see a set of IP numbers attached to someone's posts on this discussion board and then I see that same set of IP numbers attached to someone's posts on another discussion board, is it "numerology" to strongly suspect that the posts on both boards were created by the same person? Certainly not.

No, of course not. The IP address represents exactly the physical location of a computer (with some minor exceptions, which we needn't worry about here). The same IP address means the same computer. There are 4,294,967,296 possible IP addresses. For two computers to show the same one by chance would be highly unlikely - to do so at the same time would be impossible.

When I see the numbers 4, 40 and 400 used prominently throughout the Bible and then I see that the same numbers often appear in the astrophysical data of our sun, moon and stars, is it "numerology" for me to strongly suspect that both the Bible and the sun, moon and stars were created by the same God? I don't think so.

Well, yes it is. You've picked two completely different situations and tried to make one analogous to the other. The number 400 is just a number and not a very unusual one. In fact, of all the round numbers, fully 10% of them begin with 4, fulfilling your criteria. Now, is the cosmos littered with references to 4, 40, 400, 4000 etc.? No, you found a couple of near misses. If the number was important, it would be easy for a god to make them exact. In fact, why not a 400-day year? What could be more impressive? As it is, our year is a little under 365.25 days, making it unnecessarily difficult to divide it into weeks and months. Is there something significant about this number? It doesn't appear in the Bible at all.

So then, you ask, how do we account for all the occurrences of these numbers in the Bible? Does that mean anything? It occurred to me that I'd never noticed this phenomenon. So I decided to check it out

Using the search facility on biblegateway.com and looking in the NIV I obtained the following results. The numbers I searched for are listed on the left. The second number on each line is the number of occurrences throughout the Bible of that number spelt in words ("one", "two",
    "thirty", "five hundred" etc.). The third number where present is the number of occurrences in numerals. (The search engine didn't give any results for the numerals 1-9 or 1000-9000. For 10-100 it also found verse numbers making the results meaningless so it is only included for the numbers from 100-900)

1 - 2273

2 - 630

3 - 381

4 - 209

5 - 196

6 - 133

7 - 345

8 - 49

9 - 28

10 - 189

20 - 198

30 - 127

40 - 103

50 - 83

60 - 35

70 - 69

80 - 21

90 - 10

100 - 4 - 11 (122 occurrences of "a hundred")

200 - 28 - 19

300 - 27 - 10

400 - 29 - 17

500 - 16 - 31

600 - 29 - 14

700 - 8 - 5

800 - 5 - 4

900 - 2 - 2

1000 - 0 (62 occurrences of "a thousand")

2000 - 18

3000 - 19

4000 - 11

5000 - 20

6000 - 5

7000 - 13

8000 - 1

9000 - 0

Now maybe I'm stupid or something but I just don't see a pattern. Eights and nines seem to have been relatively unpopular with whoever wrote the bible but they don't seem to have had any particular fondness for fours.

So we're left with no prediction, and no fulfillment. You've got nothing, except some dubious chronology and a mildly interesting astronomical coincidence that seem to have nothing to do with each other. Unless you can prove otherwise....

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

a Christian

Deja vu

http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~idh/STROBEL/ismnotes/ismglxyb.htm

200 billion

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/ast99/ast99320.htm

10 billion

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/MarissaWager.shtml

3-100 billion

You find something that fits your theory and that is the end of your 'process'; this took me 2 minutes to search on, a Christian, you throw due diligence to the winds with your obsession.

Consider the blood guilt you would bear on your head for misleading people, no matter how good your intentions might be?

If I see a set of IP numbers attached to someone's posts on this discussion board and then I see that same set of IP numbers attached to someone's posts on another discussion board, is it "numerology" to strongly suspect that the posts on both boards were created by the same person?

Of course, there could be TWO people using the same PC. Without additional evidence (posting style, level of literacy) one could not make a safe assertion, and even then it would not be proof.

And you DON'T have the same repeated occurrence of 400X (or 193.123.45.432). You have 400.67; 402,000; 369; 375.

Would you assume that the same person was posting if the last 3 digits of the IP address were different?

THAT is the level of certainty you have.

And you are welcome to it.

Sadly I feel that the remove between your sub-set of reality and my sub-set of reality is so large as to inhibit real communication. Enjoyable fat-chewing, yes, but the conversation isn't moving forward because you want your own facts as well as your own opinion.

I mean;

As I said earlier, I see a couple of possibilities. First, one or more of these Mesopotamian flood deposits may have been laid down by Noah's flood but have been incorrectly dated, due to faulty assumptions.

Isn't it a little FUNNY how you have been shown your initial claims to 400X ratios have progressively been shown to be subject to convenient approximations and rounding? And now YOU are talking about OTHER people having faulty assumptions!

I am sure some assumptions are faulty... but AGAIN you choose to believe almost anything to cling to your 400X theory.

Good luck anyway, and if you paste your posts from something like notepad (into the web-browser) you will hopefully find that you will eliminate the formatting errors that seem to dog your posts. It would improve readability by about 400X, I think. Or maybe 369X...

Actually, the ONLY thing the Sun:Moon:Earth ratios means is that maybe, if interstellar tourism ever happens, the Earth will be renowned as a planet with an oxygen atmosphere and total solar eclipses. Imagine the UN being contacted by alien property developers interested in creating resorts for off-world tourists...

... what a let down for the human race!

No Gene Roddenberry conceit, with humans bringing peace and stability to silly aliens who've been round for Milena with their plucky human indomitably.

More becoming a dinky little resort for the ultra-rich in a up-and-coming spiral arm of the galaxy, serving cocktails to people with tentacles...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Abaddon....It may not be too bad. Just ask Deck Sgt. Chen. He has a thing for Thermian women with tentacles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit