Do you like cats?

by ozziepost 39 Replies latest social current

• PinTail
    PinTail

Yeah I like them, I have one that stays on my back in bed till I kick her off then she scratchs me a good one. As for cleaning her cat box out I hate it, but I use that good scoopable stuff cause it causes all the scat to ball up so I can lift it with a scooper. Enough said.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    As for cleaning her cat box out I hate it, but I use that good scoopable stuff cause it causes all the scat to ball up so I can lift it with a scooper. Enough said.

Clumping litter is convenient but may be dangerous. My vet warned me about it 5 years ago. Here's more info:

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/pets/620

Clumping cat litters hold great appeal for cat-lovers because they are so convenient. But what many pet-owners don?t realize is that two ingredients in most clumping cat litters have been implicated in diseases and even the deaths of many animals and humans.

Sodium bentonite is often added as a clumping agent to traditional cat litters to create the ?scoopable? clay litters on the market. Sodium bentonite acts like an expandable cement, which is why these litters should not be flushed: they swell to fifteen to eighteen times their dry size and can be used as grouting, sealing, and plugging materials.

Cats often lick themselves after using the litter box, ingesting pieces of the litter. If litter gets inside them, it expands just as it does in the plumbing.

Also, the dust from such litters can coat our cats? lungs, leading to respiratory problems. The Hennepin Center for Poison Control in Minnesota has reported instances of poisoning in humans from chronic ingestion of sodium bentonite, so just imagine what effect it can have on our kitties!

Quartz silica (sand), the other ingredient in most clumping litters, is a known carcinogen for both humans and household pets when inhaled.

Also, if the family dog gets into the litter to enjoy a "kitkat bar" or two, the dog can get sick and die from the clumping litter.

http://www.sonic.net/~marina/articles/clump.html

• Dustin
    Dustin

I have two cats. One is evil and bites . The other one is cute and cuddly. Quite the pair.

Dustin

• Honesty
    Honesty

Funny you should ask. Elder asked who my room mate was when the dubs were trying to get me on anything for a JC when I told them FDS was evil. Just my 4 lovable huggable cats. They are great. Better than my dub exwife ever was.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I don't really like cats, but married a man who had a cat. So, when ya get lemons, make lemonaide!

Actually, cats are okay. I've just grown up with dogs so prefer them. Hate kittybox duty though...

Jeannie

• onacruse
    onacruse

Shortly after Kate and I got married, this stray cat showed up at our apartment patio door, in the middle of a cold and wet winter night.

We couldn't just ignore him, and...well, you can imagine the rest of the story.

Now that we've moved, he's a garage kitty, with his own little heating pad bed.

We named him Farkel (and yes, Doug knows this, and he laughed his ass off when I told him).

• Valis
    Valis
    We named him Farkel

so you aren't the only one who needs depends!

• Jez
    Jez

I hate cats. I have had them and I hate em. They piss and crap wherever they want, gardens, flowerbeds, wet towels, laundry baskets, etc. They shed on furniture and scratch their creepy little paws on it. They wake you up at 3 am to be let out, and then meowwww at 4:30 am to be let back in. I would never own one.

I DO however have 2 dogs. Why I have them, sometimes I ask myself. I do all the work taking care of them. They are a bit of a pain and the only reason i have them is for kids. Never again.

Jez (am I miserable tonight or what?)

• onacruse
    onacruse

LOL w/ Jez!

I DO however have 2 dogs. Why I have them, sometimes I ask myself.

Now, you just ask Kate what she had to do yesterday to our dear little Sheltie...she might just offer a concurring opinion about doggie-poop-butts.

Craigster

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Jez must be joking - I converted from dogs to cats - they're wonderful little beasts.. besides cat crap is good for the flowers lol

Sucked in here by sinimon who looks just like my 'shelly' .. mm might rename her Jez a bell

I'd watch a Farkel cat very carefully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit