Re : Did you help build a KH ????

by ladonna 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Dirty Lip TR

I dug a ditch and threw my back out.... I lost 4 days of work and got no help at all from the "brothers".

Well, doggone it! Poor little baby. Poor little DLTR, made his back so sore that he couldn't do any work for a whole 4 days. Poor little thing. Listen, crybaby, muscle spasms do happen after a person uses muscles that haven't been used very much. If you had kept up the "work" it would have been good for your back, once the initial soreness had passed. You still abhor doing an honest days work, apparently.

Poor little Dirty Lip TR.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Ana,

Cool topic. I helped with several quick builds myself and actually thought they were rather fun. Strange though how most of us sisters were only good enough to be cooks and servers...and of course, cleaner uppers!!

TR...I'm really confused...do you have any idea why on earth you were the target of such a childish and vicious attack?? Sheesh...I couldn't believe that when I read it!! Oh well, I guess there are bound to be several in every group....

Dana

"A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born."
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I was waiting for you to say that, Chris. Very funny, but true.
    Go for the chicks? Hell yeah!
    mike.

"Well done, Blind Squirrel! You've found an impressive nut!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I was waiting for you to say that, Chris. Very funny, but true.
    Go for the chicks? Hell yeah!
    mike.

"Well done, Blind Squirrel! You've found an impressive nut!

• alamb
    alamb

I helped on several. My "trademark" was to sneak in before the first meeting and put up all kinds of floral arrangements and no one ever knew who did it. I also planted bulbs in the fall and no one figured that one out either.
    Maybe I should get my shovel and repossess some of that apostate flora and fawna?

• BugEye
    BugEye

Ahhhhh Yup

One assembly hall and one KH, but to be honest, it was waaayyyy better than FS and I didn't really put my all into it, for the most part I just had fun.

Dave

• dedalus
    dedalus

I was assigned security detail for a three-day quick-build in my hometown. One evening, a sister walked onto the lot to pick up her mother. The sister was accompanied by her "worldly" cousin, who stood out like a sore thumb with his shoulder-length hand. The brother in charge of security told me to remove the "worldly individual" from the premises.

What a great Witness it must have been when I approached the sister and her cousin and told them that he had to leave the lot.

"Why?" the sister rightfully demanded.

"Well, er, you see, um ..." Finally I blurt out the words. "Only Witnesses can be on the construction site."

"But he's with me!" the sister retorted.

"Well, yes, but ... that brother," and I pointed to the head of security, who had his back turned, "told me to tell you. It's not me. I'm sorry."

Anyway, they left. I felt like a bigot and a jerk, which at that moment, I was.

There was also, as I recall, a lot of fighting between the brothers in accounting (who worked in an air-conditioned trailer where donations were tallied and entered into a computer) and the brothers in construction (who worked out in the blazing sun like the slaves of Egypt). It was not uncommon for the construction brothers to unplug the extension cords that ran out of the accounting brother's trailer, crashing the computers inside. "How the hell do those assholes think we're going to pay for this shit," said one elder before he rushed outside to plug the extension cord back in.

Ah, the brotherly love and unity I miss so much ...

Dedalus

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Ana,

Yes, I too chipped in my fair share of actual work (and providing food) at two QB halls, and one assembly hall. Then we also did a monthly trip over to the assembly hall for a while to do the cleaning and lawn maintenance.

I admit, being a socially deprived dub, as so many of them are, I managed to have some fun being with some of my friends at the same time. So it wasn't all bad. And down here in the South we ALWAYS have good food, even at the QB's!

Tracy

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Thanks for the walk down memory lane guys...

Oh yeah, I worked on a KH just about every summer at least between the ages of 13 and 18. I did it all...brick passing...food serving...tool running...but nothing compared to my entire seventeenth summer which was spent working at the local Assembly Hall building site. The discrimination that I faced being a 'sister' working in a non servitudinous (I just invented that word I think *LOL* translation, non cleaning/cooking department) got me all kinds of trouble.

It is a story far too long to post here, but I will get it out there someday. It started with me being recruited by my Uncle to be the only girl on the wiring crew at the beginning of the summer, and my illustrious affiliation with that department ended (more than a year later) with me being tossed out of the sound department at the District Convention by the head of the department, who had no use for women in general, let alone me. Another highlight was getting my heart smashed to hell by a brother that I got to know working on said wiring crew.

ah...memories.

Dedalus: We used to do a lot of our work between seven pm and 2 in the morning and the brother who I worked with most of the time and I spent our time quoting Star Wars and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy dialog. The security team used to ask us to stay later so that we could "keep them awake".

Great Topic...

Essie

p.s. I was the only women I know who worked on the assembly hall who didn't get invited to the dedication. Hurt does not begin to describe how I felt. I found out later that there was even an empty seat in the Electrical department area.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

Memories....

I loved working on the QB's!Let's see...Sodding...Insulation..wiring..drywalling...hmmm..flirting with sisters...whoops!
    I probably worked on a half-dozen QB's and had a blast doing it. Usually went with some other young brothers, camping out in some br. or sis. backyard in our tent..
    Remember one of my buddies..The young sisters went nuts over him..He was if shape..Lots of muscles etc....He loved to show off and he ended up paying for it a couple of times..
    1/One QB in New Brunswick we were moving large rocks so that we could landscape and lay sod. It was rainy and the rocks were slippery as hell..A couple young sisters were watching and my buddy starts showing off...He tries to lift this huge rock which of course slips. The bone-head tries to catch it before it hits the ground and ends up smashing the hell out of his thumb. With the sisters watching of course he couldn't show any pain..But when I pulled his glove off he almost passed out...Smashed his nail and broke the bone....

2/Same guy...Flies to Newfoundland for a QB..For some reason there are not many brs. there...He starts chatting up all these young sisters...He really liked this young blonde sister but he couldn't understand a word she said...She lived on the coast and had a very strong accent...It was hilarious watching him try to carry on a converstion while trying to act cool...She ends up coming to NS to a wedding and my buddy was there as well...Along with his two other girlfriends....LOL...Man...I just about busted a gut trying to watch him squirm his way out of that one...He spent most of the evening in the washroom...

ahh...Memories

Wolfy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit