Re : Did you help build a KH ????

by ladonna 42 Replies latest jw friends

• ladonna
    ladonna

Hi all,

I don't know about the rest of you but I was one of the stupid ones lugging bricks around and cleaning them up for the JW's shortly before I left.

How many others here have done the same???

How many of us have at one time been construction workers for the Borg???

Esther...you set my brain working on this one with your thread

Ana
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If every man is my brother, then what am I to him? A.Einstein.

• TR
    TR

I helped re-model a Hall once. I dug a ditch and threw my back out because the established building crew wouldn't let me ply my trade. I lost 4 days of work and got no help at all from the "brothers".

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

• Wounded Heart
    Wounded Heart

OMG! are you ever right about being a "brick-lugging" jw!!! i remember one time we spent the whole day moving a HUGE pile of bricks (all sides of the kh had bricks) only to turn around the next day and move them BACK to the spot we took them from! how frustrating was that? and OF COURSE for years after all we heard about was just how wonderful (and funny) it was that that happened that way! "well, at least we were contributing to the building of J's KH)..." UGH! i just will never forget how WONDERFUL those sisters felt over those stupid bricks!

:::shaking my head:::

Wounded Heart

Love by giving to & accepting others unconditionally = true, pure love

• ladonna
    ladonna

TR,
    So sorry that happened to you....and typical that you received no help at all!!!!

Wounded Heart......teehee....yes, we ladies HATED it...well, I did!!!
    But it did beat going door knocking!!!!

Nice to know I am not the only sucker they got!!!

Ana

• hippikon
    hippikon

I worked on several

Cleaning bricks - Digging ditches by hand - It's interesting what they will get people to do because the labour is free -

Is it a test of humility or just humiliating.

• ladonna
    ladonna

Hi Hippi,

Neither!!!!

They are just plain stingy....slave labour sufficed and we were the idiots who willingly enslaved ourselves...UGH!!!

Ana

• comment
    comment

For me, it was kind of fun, if boring...lol, does that make sense? Anyway, I came away with the sense that I'd never want to be a full-time construction worker (I was just a grunt), but the sisters made some great food. So I can't say I had a big problem with it, for what it was.

comment

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Hi Iadonna, Depends what you mean by helped? Hubby and me were newly married - without a penny to bless ourselves. However I cashed in an insurance policy that my mother had taken out on us kids when we were little. She faithfully paid in a few dollars every three months to some guy who used to visit for the payment. This when she wouldn't waste the money on a bus fare to the shops, insisting on walking all the way there and home again, carrying supplies. So when they called for donations I got the full amount due from the insurance company and handed it over to the KH fund. That was in 1973, and we were living on love (a bloody miserable existence - give me an adequate income any day!!!!)

My husbands father was an architect and non believer, so we conned him into designing the KH and on reflection he would have done anything to get his son back. He also came to the opening ceremony (forget the name) of the Hall, and the elders didn't deem it appropriate to thank him for his many hours of unpaid labor on our behalf. HOW RUDE! My husband also worked many weekends on the project. Generally speaking the building of that hall caused a lot of bad feelings and resentment in the congregation. But that wasn't anything unusual in a congregation that seemed to thrive on bad feelings and resentment. Ho hum.

Marilyn

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

LaDonna,
    Been there done that, got the t-shirt. When I think about all the sacrifices over the years that I made, and the thankless spirit that was shown, it irritates me. What a waste of my good years!
    TW

• Angharad
    Angharad

I once spent a whole day helping to build a dry stone wall.

I also remember once when I was younger I got hit in the head with a brick, my own fault, because I walked through the chain that was moving bricks. But isn't it strange that no one thought 'Hang on maybe its not a good idea to have kids walking around a building site'

Anyone remember the 'quick buiild stew' that was served up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit