Blockbuster getting rid of late fees - well it's ABOUT TIME!

by TresHappy 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Blockbuster to do away with late fees

Associated Press

Blockbuster, the nation's biggest movie rental company, plans to eliminate late fees on games and movies as of Jan. 1.

Blockbuster announced today it will continue to set due dates, with one week for games and two days or one week for movies. But the company will give customers a one-week grace period at no additional charge, starting on New Year's Day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Renters who want to keep movies or games longer can buy the products, less the rental fee. Or, Blockbuster says customers can return products within 30 days for credit to their accounts, with a restocking fee.

"Doing away with late fees is the biggest and most important customer benefit we've ever offered in our company's history," John Antioco, Blockbuster Inc. chairman and chief executive, said in a prepared statement. "So as of the first of the year, if our customers need an extra day or two with their movies and games, they can take it."

Officials of the Dallas-based company also said Tuesday they expect continued softness in the rental industry and flat operating income in 2005 compared with this year before the estimated $50 million costs of marketing and implementing the late-fee elimination policy.

Blockbuster said it has tested the new program in some markets and found increased rental transactions and retail sales offset the decline in revenue resulting from eliminating late fees. For the full year 2005, the Company projects that late fees would have contributed approximately $250 to $300 million to operating income.

But it said that is expected to be offset by growth in revenues due to increased store traffic, less promotional and marketing activity and an increased focus on operating expense management. Blockbuster has more than 4,500 company-operated and participating franchised stores in the United States.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Its about time!

I stopped doing business with Blockbuster because of their late fees. It is also why I started using NetFlix. For a long time now I have REFUSED to even set foot in their store or go to their rental web site (similar to NetFlix). Yeah I know, a bit obsessive, but they pissed me off far too many times over being late a few minutes... and the asshole clerk looked like he LOVED nailing me for that extra bit.

Another thing I HATE about blockbuster is the way they set the due time as 12 NOON instead of 12 MIDNIGHT. Doing that effectively eliminates one days rental.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Probably alot to do with these postal companies. I can see them being hammered by companies like www.screenselect.co.uk - keep the dvd as long as you want and no limit to how many a month for your fee.

• shamus
    shamus

Yeah. Blockbuster sucks.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Netflix must be kickin their butt. we have netflix as does my brother too. never going back to blockbuster.

Mrs Jones

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

what i hated about blockbuster was that you had to have the movie back by NOON.. who gets up before noon? not me thats fer sure!

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Another thing I HATE about blockbuster is the way they set the due time as 12 NOON instead of 12 MIDNIGHT. Doing that effectively eliminates one days rental

They used to have their movies due at midnight and people complained that they would get hit with late fees for an addititional day if they decided to drop the movie off at 1 am for example. Blockbuster extended it till noon the next day. It was supposed to help people, but people didnt understand it and felt like they were getting cheated out of half a day.

• Xena
    Xena

I use pay for view if I want to watch a movie....what can I say, I'm lazy

I do buy used video's from Blockbuster though, you can get some really good deals!

• Princess
    Princess

netflix

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"Blockbuster Sucks." -- Rainman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit