What Is Your Biggest Regret Because You Were a Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Growing up as a Witness makes it nearly impossible to deal with the "world", as a child. Constant pressure is put on Witness kids to conform. Some do. Most lead a "double life" out of necessity. There were more things we couldn't do as kids that everyone else(normal) could do.

• formerout
    formerout

Not being able to play organized sports. Ironically, I was allowed to compete in individual events like track and field up to a certain level. Then when I qualified for the higher levels of competition it was cut off from me.

Once, in Grade 5 I forged my dad's signature in order to be allowed to go to the next level. The guilt got the best of me though and I performed way below my personal best.

But the organized sports thing was the worst. I was one of the best at each sport even though I only played them at recess. If I had of had any coaching I probably could have gone somewhere. Even if not, I would have been a more socially well-adjusted kid. Bummer!!

Brad

• minimus
    minimus

I knew many gifted athletes that could've gone pro but opted to pioneer instead. Some of these people are STILL struggling----30 years later!

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I can think of one, and he wore a firefighter's uniform. Hee-hee!

• franklin J
    franklin J

good post....

I suppose in hindsight it was the loss of friendship opportunity.

My wife is still friends with kids from grammar school. They have shared their lives together and although they have all gone in different directions; still get together and have some fun.

I recently attended my 30th high school reunion; and although many remembered me ( you are the kid who did not salute the flag) I had no real friendships to rekindle.

There is very little for me to connect with from my past.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Bringing my children up in it. At this time of year, especially, I realise the sheer happiness we could have enjoyed together.

LONG LIVE CHRISTMAS!

Ian

• Fleur
    Fleur

...turning down a full music scholarship at the age of 18 because my parents said it wasn't theocratic and I'd have to move out and support myself to do it. nevermind that they let my troublemaker sibling go to school for a similiar arts degree...while they supported her and paid her tuition just because it was "keeping her from getting into worse trouble"! I was terrified to be on my own in the big wide world. Even when the music professor offered to help me find a roommate (he was gay so it wasn't like he was interested in me himself) and said that I could quit my day job that moment and make money singing to support myself through school.

Of course, I wouldn't have my daughter if I'd done that, so I can't say it's really a regret, but it's something I wish that I could've done. Now my health is too bad for me to go back to school. I will always wonder what I could've done.

essie

• little witch
    little witch

Hi Mini, Happy Holidays!

Yes, I too feel the weight of having judged people by the silliest of standards (as dictated by the watchtower). I know now that I am free. I am not responsible or guilty for the imagined sins of 0thers. I should be the best that I can be and offer only encouragement and goodness to all, not judgement.

I was led astray by lies and deciet (sp). I am a better person now. I am a happier person now. Jwd has helped me to overcome so many probs, and to put me in the same boat as others are in. I have learned that people are all alike where it counts. There are no distinctions in the eyes of god. "God is no respector of persons" says the bible, and that is the root of it all.....

I am not special, or more loved. My fellow man is not beneath me. We are on the journey of life together. Going to the same place together.

"Peace on Earth, Goodwill to man"....

I get that now, and what a gift!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Gina and I met at a QuickBuild. If we hadn't been witnesses, we'd've never met. So all in all, it was worth it to get her.

But my biggest regret is the overall life view of "this is all temporary" which allowed me to have no retirement plan, wrack up stupid amounts of debt, and not be concerned about the "worldly" people I may have snubbed along the way. At least I learned at 35, instead of 65.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Not being allowed to go to college....... we know why!

Not allowed to pursue my dreams of being in a rockband!

My friends I wasn`t allowed to see after we finished high school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit