Teenagers

by Purza 41 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well I remember when I was a teenager which was not that long ago I am 24. Anyway I remember thinking I knew everything. I mean everything and my parents were stupid and knew nothing. Sometimes I still think that way! I want to say I am kidding but I can't.

Anyway this is what My mom did to me gave me the silent treatment that was the worst please if you love her don't do that. I will give you this advice: If you want her to keep her room clean give her a choice of punishments if she doesn't follow your orders. Or Tell her if her room is not clean by the end of the day her bed has to come out of her room until she can clean it. She may learn fast not being able to have her bed. My Mom did this to me and it worked!

As for the house: same thing if she can't keep her bathroom clean take it away. Tell her that she can't use it until she take responsibility for it. Same with dishes she doesn't want to clean them or help with it...then she can't use them. Trust me it worked for me!

As for her attitude it will go on like it will never end but at 16 it should get better like mine did I acted up everynow and then but it was much better. I now love my Mom! When I gave birth to my 1st baby I told my mom I was sorry for everything I ever did. She laughed and she said now you know what love is!

Brooke WI

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I agree with all of the folks who have said "close the door" My daughter sounds a lot like yours- honor student, responsible and the like. Mine is 16. She trashes her room and then about once a month she gets sick of it and goes in and does a thorough cleaning and the cycle starts all over again. I was the same way and my mom shut the door as well.

My daughter has always been very helpful around the house; doing the laundry, dishes and just about anything else I'd ask her to do. She'd balk sometimes and complain a bit but she did it anyway and she knows that when it comes right down to it she's got it pretty good.

This is what I'd like to add. My daughter is very focused on her future and going to college and she's doing the academic work to make that possible. She's a junior this year and is taking 2 college courses this semester and 1 next semester, in addition to Chemistry and all the courses that boggle my own mind !

I made her a promise last summer that for these next two very important years- I'll step up closer to the plate and be there for her in any way she needs me to. One of the ways I've been doing that is to give her a great deal of slack. I do the laundry now mostly instead of the other way around. I'm doing the dishes and although I ask her to help out -I'm giving her a break on the chores part of her life and I don't ask her to do much. She's the one doing the work and getting the grade and doing all the studying that makes it all possible. Add to that working a part-time job and going to extra training courses to further herself in that and school activities and babysitting quite a bit as well. She's working her butt off so I'll say yes to her whenever possible when she wants to do something and I'll work harder myself around here for the next couple of years so she can concentrate on what is really important right now. And it gives her some extra time just to be a kid !

And, Purza- just wait till she gets her drivers license and she can help you with errands and shopping etc. ! It's great !!

Great thread !

XW

Edited to add: The "attitude" thing comes with the territory I guess. I try to take it in stride as much as possible and when it does get out the realm of my comfort zone I speak up and remind her about respect and I usually have something to hold over her head at the time to take away from her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit