Teenagers

by Purza 41 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

((((((Purza))))))

There is some great advice here and I really dont have that much more to offer.

I am in the middle of raising two teenagers myself and have had the same complaints as you.I have learned lately that if this is the worst they do,ie..dont keep their room clean( their rooms are horrid),need rides to their sport events,work and school then DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.....

Not only are their hormones rangeing and they are learning to grow into an adult, we, as parents, start wondering if we screwed up some where when things are not going according to plan.*sighs*.Not only do we feel lost/concerned about the way we have been raising our children but they feel even more lost as they are trying to find themselfs.

Just be there for them, respect them, and they will give back to you a 100 times more then what you have gave to them.There really is no book or rules on how to raise our children. It is all a trial and error bases and a learning expereince for us as well.

Chin up hon,as my mommy promised me it will get better.

Before you know it, you will be giving a speech at your daugthers wedding about how her room was such a mess growing up and your so glad that she changed and figured it out all on her own when she moved out to go to collage....( it's not really that far off.)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Morty

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

They will push as far as you will go, for sure! I regret spoiling my daughter a little too much, overcompensating for my life after my mom went nuts on religion. Then, she might have been more considerate of our financial & time capabilities in her demands. She might have looked for scholarships harder, instead of taking us for granted.

As for the room, 2 issues. I paid a LOT of money for her clothes. I never, ever found it acceptable to find them thrown all over. If I had found them on floors, there would have been NO MORE. Not to mention, it is a fire hazard. We lived in an old trailer here in the woods for 2 years while building this house without a mortgage. Buying materials week to week. I was always conscious that trailers are noted fire traps, especially old ones. I REFUSED to have crap all over the floor as fuel for a posible fire, or a barrier to escape, should it go up.

Thankfully, she has learned a LOT now, living off campus, doing her own laundry, helping to maintain a house there near the college. I often laugh to myself at how she has gone from a whiney child to Susie Homemaker :) It's amazing!

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Everyone has great points. I have a 15 year old daughter, been a single mom to her since birth, she, at times takes care of me in ways I never would have dreamed. We have a very open relationship and it doesn't even bother her that I listen to the same music she does. One thing that she has that skipped me was the clean gene. She's VERY insistant on keeping her room & life clean, me? My dad still tells stories of how he had to get a shovel just to get into my room. There are moments where I would like to wring her neck, but all in all, keep it open and honest with her, try to see her points in life, let her vent without interjecting (where you can..very hard!) and be a mom. I have to say, I have a 3 year old boy as well, and I don't have a clue how I raised her alone. Without her me & my boy would be banging heads all the time. She takes him away when he's underfoot and she bathes him every night, little things like that. I got very lucky and couldn't be prouder. Pink hair & all.

SK

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

I know I'm late jumping in here but I want to ditto the "choose your battles" advice. You have said wonderful things about your daughter in your first paragraph and they are far more important than the fact that her bedroom is a mess (unless there's rotting food in there, just close the door). I, too, am the chauffeur for my daughter and her friends. I have come to really value that time spent alone in the car without the distractions of the phone, chores, TV, MSN etc....sort of like a captive audience. We have had some of our best talks in the car. I get to hear all about what has been going on, get to know her friends better and be a fly on the wall sometimes. In 3 months, she will be old enough to get her learner's license. Some of her friends (including her boyfriend) already have their licenses and they now want to be independent...that's far scarier. Enjoy the time that she still "needs" you and make the most of it.---Deb

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I say CLOSE THE DOOR to her room, just let it be a mess. Forget about it, make the only rule be that there can't be any food in there to attract bugs.

You will save your sanity. She can live in a mess, you will stop yourself from going crazy. Just let it be a mess for the next 4 years.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Well, she sounds like a normally developing teen to me:)

I have two teens, and a twenty-something year-old. I'm still muddling through and learning myself, but some things I've found to be good advice are:

1.Pick your battles. It gets tiresome making lists of rules and negotiating every darn little issue. In our household, tobacco, alcohol and drug use is non negotiable. My kids do what they like with their rooms-I only ask them to clean it if we have to offer it to company, and they have no problem with this. They choose their clothes, also, but I set the budget. If they want to go above the budget, they have to cover the extra cost. They may not buy any clothing that promotes illegal behavior until they are eighteen. After that, I don't offer clothing advice unless asked.

2. When you say no, mean it. Teens will try everything in their arsenal to wear you down. Sometimes, the more you try to explain your reasonable position, the more they will try to prove how unreasonable it is by their standards, or the family down the streets standards, or their teacher's standards, or...anyway, my usual response if my attempts at reasoning fail is "Other people are welcome to do things the way they choose. This is the way we do things in this family. When you are legally responsible for your own behavior, you may choose to handle this in any way you wish."If that fails, I simply apply the "broken record technique"-I repeat my request over and over in a calm voice until the child runs out of reasons.Or I remove myself from the teen's access, but not before I tell them that I expect whatever I requested to be done.

3. That being said, make sure when you say no, you have a pretty good reason for doing so first. And if you realize that you really didn't, don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry, I was wrong."

4. The more insistent and argumentative your teen gets, the more you should try to speak in a calm, lower tone. Don't know why this works for me, but it does;)

5. Motorcycles are great tools for teaching responsibility. Grounding a teen boy off his motorcycle is viewed by him as a fate worse than death:)(find your child's bargaining chip and use it sparingly but effectively).

6. Try to commend your teen as much as you "discipline" them. Believe me, even on a really rotten day, you can find something to commend them for (have had alot of those, especially with one certain, very intelligent and stubborn son, lol).

7. Be an active listener. This sounds easy, but it is really alot harder to do than you think when you come home from work dead tired and want nothing more than to flop down in front of the tv. Really listening to your kids encourages them to really listen to you, plus you find out what interesting and complex beings they truly are:)

8. Participate in your teen's school functions. They may act like they don't want you to attend their events, but you may be pleasantly surprised how happy they are when you do. Just don't expect them to walk down the hall with you before or after the event, lol.

9. Don't be afraid to step outside of the box sometimes. Try something new your child has shown you. I've learned about soccer while playing it with my sons, I'm slowly learning about motocross racing, and I may someday learn to appreciate movies that feature lots of bathroom type humor (hey, I didn't say this was always easy).More importantly, I'm teaching them to try new experiences that I introduce them to by respecting them enough to try some things I would normally not be interested in aka-bathroom humor, heehee).

10. Read to or with your teens. For some reason, we tend to slack off on encouraging reading when our kids are teens. Aliteracy is a growing problem, and many folks never learn to read fluently or learn to enjoy reading for reading's sake, because they don't do it outside of the school setting. It's simply seen as something that "must" be done, instead of something that brings great enjoyment and enrichment to life. I still read aloud to my sons, and they occasionally share with me something they've read that they really like.I buy them magazines geared toward their interests, too. They can't resist motorcycle magazines, lol.

11. Traveling in cars is a great opportunity for "life talks"-all those serious issues that we have to talk with our teens about. It's intimate because your interacting one on one with your child, yet somehow some of the tough issues seem easier to cover while one is looking down the road, especially in the dark. I've had some of my most profound conversations with my children in the car.

12. I know it's hard putting up with the "daily grind," but try to appreciate the fact that your teen is having these battles with you because they are growing up. When they feel secure enough to show you their worst side, you're actually doing a great job. Some kids are just more secure than others, lol. It's a parent's job to give your kids wings.And with some kids you just have to grit your teeth and hope they don't fly too close to the sun:)

13. Don't be overly concerned with mistakes you make in childrearing. You're human too. Sometimes we and our children learn more from a mistake than from doing things "the right way."

Oh, and I can't forget to say "Good Luck." That comes in handy sometimes, too;)

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Both Cicatrix and Concerned Mom have mentioned the private time in the car being a time you can talk. I sure agree with them, and have had some wonderful private conversations with my kids driving to band or swimming or ballet. The enclosed space can give a sense of intimacy and make it easier for them to talk about personal issues or something that is bothering them. I wonder if sometimes, being able to look out the window or the fact you aren't staring into their faces, makes it easier to talk. My daughter will get her licence sometime this year, and I will have to make time for those personal moments to continue.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I have two boys 17 & 21, and won't begin to compare boys and girls teenage years. Worlds apart I think.

But let me share my experience from being a teenage girl with my Mom many many years ago. I was started out around age 14 to being disrespectful to my Mom who worked full time. My Dad was there but said little. So Mom and I butted heads alot. I was a good kid but strong headed. I had to clean the house daily that meant cleaning up the mess my parents made to after school and start dinner. Mom didn't get home till about 6:00 or later sometimes from her job. Dad came in at 5:30 but of course back then didn't help with fixing food. Well I said one day to my mother, "this is your house, you clean it." Well my mom gave me the smack across the face I never forgot. And I sat down to a lecture that I also never forgot. She cried and told me how exhausted she was working all day and he had to have my help. That she loved me and she supported me and all the ways she did it. When she finished I was crying too. Well I improved, but then my bedroom was an issue big time.

My mother got fed up with the mess and would only shut the door. I was told I was never to leave my door open as she could not stand the mess. So one day at about 15 1/2 yrs old I started to walk into my room. I could not open my door. I think I had every single thing i wore on my bedroom floor. Dirty and clean all together. Well when I finally shoved the door open I stood there in shock. Did I make this huge mess? There was clothing on my lamp, TV, dirty dishes, my bed could not even be found, and it was dusty and it smelled in there. I suddenly realized Mom was right. So I set about cleaning my room from top to bottom, including the closet. It took me two days. (it was summer time). Then I asked Mom to let me paint it and she did. She was so pleased that I took care of my room there after. But think of what she endured just shutting that bedroom door knowing it was just purely a health hazard in there and her precious daughter was sleeping in there. But she did. It took a long time though probably 8 months before I woke up and cleaned it. She and I have laughed over this when I was grown.

I eventually learned by the time I finished high school, my parents were fallable, and that they did the best they could. Mom said I drove her crazy as teen but we ended up best friends till she passed away 7 years go. So hang in there Mom, this too will pass. Tell her how your feeling, listen to how she is feeling and then work it out. Most of all make sure she always knows you love her. She will grow out of this.

Balsam

• Robdar
    Robdar

Purza,
    Keep telling yourself that this is nature's way and that your daughter will out grow it. At that age, they are very self centered and think that the world revolves around them. Not to mention that your daughter is experiencing physical growth at a tremendous rate. She is a child and she is a young woman. It's a tumultuous stage.

Stay firm with your daughter. The biggest mistake that you can make is to try to be her buddy. Children need boundaries. They need authority figures. Deep down, they want direction. If she gets angry at you for withholding privileges, so what? You are her mother after all. She will get over it and will eventuallly be thankful for your guidance.

She will grow up and leave the house one day. When that happens, you will cry and fondly recall these teenage days.

Good luck (you are going to need it)

Robyn

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Hey Robs'!

As a teenagers's dad I concur......thats good advice!

~~~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit