New Provision to Assist Us to Abstain From Blood - Dec KM

by truthseeker 46 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie
    I understand about using them during an illness or planned medical treatment, but I'm not clear on how the DPA would work in an emergency. Is there something a witness would keep on their person at all times, or only a filed paper that must be searched for, faxed, or brought in? If someone is in a car accident and brought unconscious to the ER, possibly needing a transfusion in the first few minutes, how would the staff know the patient doesn't want it?

Some people do keep a copy of their DPAs in their glove compartments and/or in their purse. It is important to make sure your doctor, clinic (and in some cases your hospital) have a copy. It would be good to discuss this with your doctor and attorney since they understand both the medical and legal systems in your area. Do it as soon as possible, because accidents tend to happen unplanned. If you are on the road in a state far away...be sure to have a copy on you. Any other ideas. Remember non-JWs, this is not a WTS document and covers more issues than blood transfusion, such as DNR and organ donation/transplants. Here is a general website (check to make sure applicable in your area legally) http://www.texmed.org/pmt/lel/legalmedurable.asp

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Remember non-JWs, this is not a WTS document and covers more issues than blood transfusion, such as DNR and organ donation/transplants.

It seems like an attempt to make JW's seem more main stream.The blood card always looked and felt like a cult thing. I cringed everytime my wife opened her wallet at a store because it was displayed so prominently at the front. DPA's on the other hand are used all the time by people to record their wishes about medical and health issues and how these should be dealt with.LOOK....LOOK..We are not a cult....Honest.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

When I get time, I'm going to scan and publish the letter I got my hands on.

It was sent to the Presiding Overseer about the blood committee, and all info on this letter was not to be read to the congregation.

One interesting thing I read was, that all publishers are to be instructed that when checking in to hospital, that

they make sure they not only tell them they are witnesses, but also proclaim that they should be visited by a minister from the witnesses.

By doing so, they cannot stop us (elders, or committee head) from entering the room in case there is a crisis

• blondie
    blondie
    It seems like an attempt to make JW's seem more main stream

Poztate, I think it is because more and more no-blood clinics are being set up by non-JWs to address their wishes regarding blood transfusions and other non-JW people concerned about AIDS and hepatitis (and other diseases).

The catch is that the clinics require that JWs have POAs already drawn up and on file with these clinics before they will treat them. One thing JW elders hate is to go to the hospital and see a witness trying to convince the staff they don't want a transfusion as they tell them they don't have a "blood" card, don't have it with them, etc., etc.

I was told about a meeting one clinic had with the local elders and other JWs on what they could offer. They stressed the need to file DPAs/POAs with the clinic right away.

After about 3 months, the clinic asked the 2 JW nurses that worked there why they had not received more than 5 DPAS although over 100 JWs had attended (including 40 elders). The sisters had nothing to tell them....

So whatever the reason, DPAs are the best way to go if you want your medical wishes carried out when you are unconscious. Choose wisely too if they have to come up against your JW family.

Blondie

• observador
    observador

I think this is big deal.

The Blood Card, we were told, had to be signed every year to keep it up to date. In Brazil people are told that a document OF THIS KIND signed longer than a year ago could not be as effective as one recently signed, as hospitals could simply disregard it.

Now we are told that not only combining both documents is a good thing, but also that they will be valid indefinitly.

This is Jehovah's Organization ever confusing messages...!

Observador.

• blondie
    blondie

Observador, the WTS has been pushing DPAs/POAs for several years in this area of the US without many JWs filling them. Few JWs would fill out the old cards except for the 2 step service meeting/book study arrangement. I think this started when the WTS required "blood" cards as ID to get the Insight books in 1988 when there were not enough to go around. They wanted to see the baptism date to confirm the JW had the seniority to qualify for the books. Many were outdated and unsigned....so the Nazi 2-step arrangement.

Are JWs mindless followers of the WTS....?

They trained them to be this way...

But then maybe is just that they love having their ears tickled...

• metatron
    metatron

The biggest, most significant quiet change yet, in my opinion, was the editing out of the whole chapter on blood

when they dropped the "United in Worship" book. If you put that in front of a Witness, ( I have) they are speechless.

metatron

• simplesally
    simplesally

What I am reminded of is that I do have DPA at Kaiser Permanente. I called to have it torn up or destroyed and they won't do it. So now I have to write a letter and say that one is null and void. I then should draw up a new one. The old one says that I would not accept blood and that 2 elders had control over my health care desicions if I was incapcitated.

• blondie
    blondie

In my state that is not required, that is why it is important to the check the laws in the state you live in (province or country).

• simplesally
    simplesally

What's not required in your state Blondie?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit