New Provision to Assist Us to Abstain From Blood - Dec KM

by truthseeker 46 Replies latest watchtower medical

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

If you wondered whether the Society would print blood cards this year, they won't. Blood Cards are OUT.

Consider the box found on the December KM, entitled "New Provision to Assist Us to Abstain From Blood"

The Governing Body has approved combining the essential elements of the durable power of attorney (DPA) document and the Advance

Medical Directive/Release card into a single legal document, which we shall refer to generally as a DPA card. A DPA card has been

prepared for each state. The actual title of the DPA card varies from state to state.

You will need to fill out the DPA card for your state of residence only. The DPA card is valid indefinitely anywhere in the United States

and will serve as your statement of your wishes when you travel internationally. In the future, you should fill out a new DPA card if (1) you

need to make any changes to your DPA card, such as changing your wishes, health-care agents, addresses and telephone numbers, or

(2) your DPA card has been destroyed.

So, there are some changes.

First, they will not make witnesses sign a DPA card every year. One card is good "indefinitley"

Second, the old blood card has gone, and is replaced by the DPA.

Does this mean, that the service meetings in December won't feature an annual "How to fill out the blood card" item? Are the GB gradually diminishing the importance of blood?

• Pole
    Pole
    Are the GB gradually diminishing the importance of blood?

That's one possible interpretation. Also they may want to create the impression that JWs have a "holistic" approach to health/deathbed issues and that the blood issue is only one of the many arrangements they make. I guess it sounds more acceptable in this way. Spin doctors...

Another really strange thing is that unlike the blood doctrine, those medical directives cannot be derived from the bible (even assuming that the blood doctrine can be). By combining them with the blood cards, the WTS makes the whole package "bible-based". It's just sick how they not only control people's lives but their deaths too.

• blondie
    blondie
    Does this mean, that the service meetings in December won't feature an annual "How to fill out the blood card" item?

I think they will have a small part every year for those who have moved in from another state, to remind them to make sure their proxy representatives are still alive and willing to act, if any new "procedures" become acceptable and listed on the DPA, etc., etc.

I have pointed out before on JWD that these healthcare proxies are more binding legally and the WTS is acknowledging this finally. Also, in this area the noblood clinics will not accept a JW patient unless they have a valid DPA on file with them. When you are bleeding out from an accident is not a good time to draw one up.

The DPAs also allow more flexibility for "personal choice" supposedly and also address such issues as DNR (do not resuscitate) requests and willingness to accept or donate organs.

It is a good idea for non-JWs and ex-JWs to have such a document (it is not just for blood transfusion clarification) so if they are unconscious, someone will be designated to act for them even against the wishes of other (JW) family members. Even a non-family member can "outvote" a JW family member with this legal document.

Blondie

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

This is what I was talking about in my post yesterday.

The WTBTS sure is simplifying matters as time goes by! GOOD!

DY

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I am happy that I am married now, and in FL my husband is my decision maker if I was unconscience, etc. My JW mother will not have the say... although if we BOTH get into an accident, then I would be chit up a creek, so a living will is something we need to do.

My concerns are less about blood and more along the lines of being hooked up to life support forever.

• glitter
    glitter

Does this mean if something happened to a JW their non-JW relative wouldn't have any say in *any* care not just blood transfusions? What about turning off life support and stuff?

I hope they don't let my mum have one because she's been inactive for nealry 10 years or something.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Does this mean, that the service meetings in December won't feature an annual "How to fill out the blood card" item? Are the GB gradually diminishing the importance of blood?

I think that this change gives the impression (legally) that individuals are making the choice here regarding blood and it's uses. The reality is that the society is still pulling the strings - but with the appearance of greater personal choice comes legal arguments that this has always been the case, just different in the way it was presented with the 'blood card'.

This might -and it is a big might - suggest a change in the basic view of blood transfusions down the road. One that will let the society escape the legal ramifications of the previous position. The introduction of the DPA a few years back, the 2000 wt changes, and the 2004 clarifications in the June wt. They are leading up to something.

I think it is years away -and has to do with legal issues.

Jeff

• Gadget
    Gadget

Does anyone know how this is going to work in the UK? Is it the same or different? I remember around this time last year people talking about the change of wording in the blood card, but this only happened in the USA not the UK.

• bavman
    bavman

i guess it's a shame i tore up my old blood card...

• Poztate
    Poztate

What I would like to know is who keeps track of the DPA's. Is a copy registered with the local congregations ??

If I cosigned a DPA and then decided that a blood transfusion was best for my wife would that override any congregation documents and influence in the matter. If an elder signed instead would that mean that he had more"power" than a husband to do the no blood policy??

I think maybe...if she asks me I will cosign one for her.It seems to me then I keep more control over what happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit