Were there ever any complaints from the KH's neighbours?

by badboy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    re: the alarm code...lemme guess. "1914"? ;)

good guess....but nope.

It is a date though...

• freedom96
    freedom96

The neighbor behind our hall was always complaining about something. We ultimately bought his property and made a parking lot out of it.

• undercover
    undercover
    We ultimately bought his property and made a parking lot out of it.

There's a song in there somewhere.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    re: the alarm code...lemme guess. "1914"? ;)

good guess....but nope.

It is a date though...

The alarm code at my parents hall is 2520. I wonder how many halls have 1975 as their code.......... Just before I was df'd the hall I was in had a quickbuild, and there was a few complaints from the neighbours. The woman directly across from the hall decided she would rather sell her house than live next to a kingdom hall.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well I don't know if there were any complaints about the KH in my area.

However, with the JW neighbors there were some......Like Mowing the Lawn at 2 am with flood lights on.

Walking in to the next door neighbors house leaving mags.

things like that....funny thing is though same family!

Brooke WI

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup... when I was a kid we went to a KH that was in the middle of a neighborhood. The parking lot was far too small so all of the JWs parked their cars along the road - on both sides - basically blocking the road down to one lane.

The neighbors HATED it and were always complaining. One guy went a bit over the edge and put up his own parking meter. The good little JWs all obeyed the instructions of the elders to ignore the meter... so the guy never got a dime and the JWs still parked in front of his house.

JWs always make the best neighbors.

• jws
    jws

At one hall, we were in the middle of a residential neighborhood. There was a 4-family building about 20 feet from a narrow parking lot. I remember them telling the congregation to keep the noise down outside and to talk inside.

At another hall, the parking lot was kind of small and often parking spaces were hard to find. There was a lot of empty land around it. Some of it being directly behind some houses and owned by the people who owned the house. I remember different meetings where they would spell out again exactly where we could and couldn't park.

At my first hall, they had no parking lot whatsoever. It was in the middle of an urban block. So the street would be packed with cars for 4 blocks solid. I heard there were lots of complaints. They were always hoping one of the neighbors would sell their home and they could level it to make a parking lot, but that never happened. Instead, they eventually sold the building and moved across town. Last I heard, some church calling themselves "Jehovah's CHRISTIAN Witnesses" moved in.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    The neighbors HATED it and were always complaining. One guy went a bit over the edge and put up his own parking meter. The good little JWs all obeyed the instructions of the elders to ignore the meter... so the guy never got a dime and the JWs still parked in front of his house.

Man, those guys are lucky that the world isn't as evil as they are - this guy and the rest of the neighbourhood could have "keyed" the Dub cars! But the fact that they were basically decent people meant that they didn't, and spared the Dubs property. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it!

• blondie
    blondie

Reading these comments, it makes me remember that most of the recent complaints are about book study locations in residential areas. I can remember the neighbors calling the police because some JWs were parking illegally. People don't plan on the neighbors having a party every Tuesday night and Saturday morning. The average book study has about 20 (to 30 in some congos) people assigned. That can make up to 7 to 10 cars. People feel they have a right to park in front of their own house...I can understand that being a home owner who had a similar problem and called the police when a neighbor parked his construction vehicle in front of our house rather than his own (he's moved now, whew).

It is hard to find JWs with large enough homes that will volunteer to have a book study. Now in this area they are getting smart and assessing the parking availability. It is not possible to have one at the KH the same night as a major meeting (sharing a KH), so that leaves Monday, Wednesday, Friday nights and some Saturday mornings. I can remember when one congregation had 3 books study groups on Monday night because no homes available

.I know of JW families who had their lawn trashed and vandalized. I can remember once in the past when the neighbors all came home early one Tuesday night and parked in all the spots near the book study house. The JWs complained about that but only one got the point that was being illustrated...

Blondie

• geevee
    geevee

Hi all, I am new to the forum. Here goes, I thought the comments on the alarms funny, an ex-jw with a penchant for sound equipment would only need to quickly try a few easy possibilites before the alarm went off...ours is 2414.......[Matt 24:14]....

Our book study host has their whole back yard gravelled, so it is like a carpark....you'd reckon the congregation would pay them to ashphalt it wouldn't you.....tight asses.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit