Were there ever any complaints from the KH's neighbours?

by badboy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I have heard from one neighbour of our local KH that there is a lot of traffic/speeding out of the KH etc etc.

were there any complaints from the neighbours about the local KH?

• undercover
    undercover

Yes. At one hall I attended, the next door neighbor, only yards away, complained about the late night(9:30 to 10:00 if that's late) noise several nights a week(three cong. used one hall). Kids running around in the parking lot, yelling and screaming. Loud talking and laughter, etc etc etc. And the neighbor was right. We were too loud. I felt embarrassment sometimes knowing that we were being obnoxiously loud and the neighbors might be trying to sleep.

I proposed that the hall build a privacy fence as a good-will gesture to the neighbor but the elders pish-poshed it, saying it was the neighbors problem.

• under74
    under74

oh, hell ya. This lady who lived next door to the KH I attended would yell out of her second story windo every Tuesday. At the time I thought she was crazy but now thinking about it...it was freakin 10pm and she lived right next to the parking lot...I would have yelled at everyone standing out there with their cars running talking loud and laughing.

• gumby
    gumby

We had neighbours who were always complaining about the brothers shootin up crack over by the trash cans and also complaints all their cigarette smoke was drifting over the fence going in their windows. They didn't like all the broken beer bottles all over the sidewalks either left by the brothers.

Seriously....I never remember any complaints. Most witnesses I know act and behave like decent people as they continually try to impress onlookers that their faith and actions are better than the norm.

Gumby

• blondie
    blondie

When I was growing up, the KHs were on smaller lots and closer to their neighbors. Almost every Thursday during the service meeting announcements, they reminded the congregation not to let the children play in the parking lot and that even the adults should do their talking inside. I think the brick through the window finally convinced them besides the visit from the neighborhood association.

Nowadays, the lots are bigger and tend to be on the outer edge of town (or in the country), so everyone can run and scream to their heart's content.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The complaints I remember hearing about were of a differing subject; care or the property! The kh is in a nice neighborhood, and several of the neighbors hated that the hall did not keep the dandelions down - just mowed them over and let the seeds drift around to the neighbors who were spending money to keep them out of their yards -

I saw the point and brought it up to several of the Pharasies at one time or another - but I heard the same answer "it is their problem". I didn't think it made a very good witness to them. Maybe, looking back that was a good thing... huh?

Jeff

• Balsam
    Balsam

The KH I attended last, bought and put up a 6' fence between the drive way and the property line on the side where the Neighbor complained about the noise at night. That seemed to help and the neighbors were satisfied. They said their childrens bedrooms were on the side facing the hall and loud talking and noise of children running and screaming outside woke their children up on Thursday nights. Then we got another congregation using the hall so that was more nights it was noisy. But the fence seemed to help and stopped the complaining.

I knew of one KH that was built out in the country, and was always being broken into. They finally set up an alarm system. Someone was vandizing the inside. Didn't steal anything but damaged the sound equipment, spray pained chairs and walls. Turned on water and left on, ruining the carpets. Its funny now be cause I suspect it was ex-witnesses that might have done that. Don't know for sure, but teens would certainly consider doing that if they could get away with it. I know my son who left the witnesses was out riding around and stopped at an empty KH and unrinated on the front door. He hates it, and all it stands for now. I think of the JW walking up to that door putting their hand on the handles and it having urine on it. Yick.

Balsam

• undercover
    undercover
    Someone was vandizing the inside. Didn't steal anything but damaged the sound equipment, spray pained chairs and walls. Turned on water and left on, ruining the carpets. Its funny now be cause I suspect it was ex-witnesses that might have done that. Don't know for sure,

Hmmm....that reminds me; I still have a key to the hall and I know the code to the alarm system....BWAHAHAHAHAHA

• nilfun
    nilfun

re: the alarm code...lemme guess. "1914"? ;)

• New Castles
    New Castles

The KH I used to attend, faced the back of a row of houses and a couple of neighbors complained about the headlights shining into their houses and about the noise. An announcement was made to turn on our headlights when we reached the street.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit