Celebrating Wedding Anniversaries

by steve2 20 Replies latest jw friends

• gerbils
    gerbils

thankyou very much for your interesting post lelolia. I have often wondered about the birthday thing. I don't see that there could possibly be anything wrong with it and have always maintained that JW's should view it as a matter of conscience instead of a ridgid 'NO!!!!!'

• gumby
    gumby

Steve2.....welcome to the forum!

I could never reconcile the way in which JWs enthusiastically a nd unquestioningly 
    celebrated wedding anniversaries,  yet roundly condemned the celebration of
     birthdays. 
    Practically every single argument JWs use to condemn birthday  celebrations 
    could be just as forcefully used against  the celebration of wedding anniversaries:
    Excellent observation!
    The sad part is....within the confines of watchtower walls, a christian has absolutely no say in what he or she feels is a christian practice or not.
    Gumby
  • Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    I could never reconcile the way in which JWs enthusiastically a
    				nd unquestioningly 
    celebrated wedding anniversaries, 
    				yet roundly condemned the celebration of
     birthdays

Me either, Steve. That's just another reason why I left 6 years ago.........

Terri
  • OldSoul
    OldSoul
    Leolaia: One should consider the aspects of an event and decide what is fitting.

From the second paragraph of the article you posted. Isn't it amazing that they say "One" should decide what is fitting and then proceed to eliminate the possibility of anyone who is a "mature christian" deciding differently than they do? Wouldn't that mean anyone who celebrates birthdays is an immature Christian? And this, despite the fact that our ability to heed the sentence I just quoted is the true mark of maturity according to the Bible. Heeding the fence around the Law of Christ is a sign of immaturity, and they look at those who do so as "people of the earth."

Apparently they think they are the only ONE who should consider and decide. Clergy - meet laity. Surprising. Not!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Now SunnyGal! You hush up that kind of talk or you're gonna make 'em have to reconsider their stand on wedding anniversaries!

I can see it now, "New Light District Convention" in a manuscript talk with the brother on the side ready to jump up and take over if the speaker should swerve to the right or to the left, "After careful consideration of the origins of Wedding Anniversaries, it has been decided that all mature Christians would avoid the practice on pain of shunning. Don't worry about the fact that you were spiritually immature up until this point since you didn't figure that out on your own, you could hardly be expected to come across any new light before the FDS does - you spiritually mature lot, you. After all, if you had started telling people last year that they shouldn't celebrate their Anniversary you could have been disfellowshipped for running ahead."

"We know all mature Christians will cooperate with these new directions from Jehovah, who doesn't change with the varying of a shadow. You'll be able to tell those who were too immature to change, because they'll soon be disfellowshipped."

Sincerely,
    B_Ing Invisible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Gumby....I think your post whacked out the margins for the whole thread and I'm finding it very hard to read....might you be able to edit your post and replace the < PRE > tags with < P >? Or if its too late, could an administrator do it??

• steve2
    steve2

Hello everyone who answered my question and apologies for not getting back cooner. I really appreciate the time and effort. It's only now that I've managed to find myself around the various threads - I thought I had lost this one until I did a search.

steve2

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

My guess:

1. GB wives would not allow them to 'cancel' anniversaries.

Or,

2. One or two of them really loved their wives and just couldn't bear to give up that celebration.

I don't think I'm being cynical after what I've learned these past 6weeks. I think that most likely this allowance is simply based on someone's personal desire and policy was manipulated to allow it.

-Aude.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Oh!!

Steve -

Welcome to the Board!!

-Aude.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Ditto!!!

u/d

Share this